Advice on new Gaming build or Upgrade current

DPO

Weaksauce
Need advice firstly on if I should upgrade my 4 yr old PC or start fresh with all new. I built my current PC 4 yrs ago this month with the help of people here, it has served me well but after 4 yrs it is upgrade/replace time. I am also moving from my old Dell 2209 to at least a Dell 24 in ips, and hopefully a 27in kor ips display. (I have been reading the threads on the display section and am loooking for a good 27 ips (kor) to pull the trigger on after I get this PC built/upgraded. Some of the problems with them seem a lil scetchy though you can't beat the price.)
This is what I have now, I am willing to start fresh or keep some of the keepables:) Depending on your advice.
Case: CM HAF 922
Mobo: asus p7p55d
Cpu: i5 750 w/ cm hyper 212 cooler
Ram :16gb gskill
Gpu; Radeon XFX 5850
Psu :CM 700W Silent Pro
HDD will be new, at least a TB ( current one is a 1 TB WD) Also want an ssd this time around
Optical drive : 1 x Sony Optiarc DVD Burner with LightScribe Black SATA Model AD-7241S-0B LightScribe Support - OEM
Hmm, am I missing anything? Anyway this is what I have had for last 4 yrs...I can keep and upgrade depending upon all your expertise, or start fresh. I am thinking keep the case , Optical drive, PSU if it is still good and safe to trust a 4 yr old Psu, and replace everything else.
I also have no problem keeping this as a back up and building from a new case up.
This rig actually plays everything I throw at it, however I am afraid when I upgrade my display to 27 in, I will notice its limitations. Thoughts?
So I filled all this out also...

One caveat. I have a Newegg account with my Pool Buisiness..so would like to purchase most everything there if possible.

1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc

Mostly gaming. FPS's COD and CS and Skyrim, ESO when it comes out. Web browsing and some photo editing, not alot but I do own some nice camera equip that I use occasionally with mtn biking etc...

2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?

800.00-1200.00 I say this because I may be able to reuse some of the system I built here 4 yrs ago. Depends what you all think.

3) Which country do you live in? If the U.S, please tell us the state and city if possible.
Sacramento , Calif.

4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. The word "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.

Need: cpu,ram,gpu,cooler, hard drive and ssd ( may be more depending on whether I keep my case, psu,optical drive.) Like I said above depends if this is a upgrade or new build.

5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.

Case is CM HAF 922, psu is CM 700 w silent pro ( 4 yrs old) , opt drive is Samsung 22x sata dvd burner ( 4yrs)

6) Will you be overclocking? Most likely no...though I have no problem doing it...never seems to be a need :) I do not OC for benchmarks :)

7) What is the max resolution of your monitor? What size is it?

Dell 2209 1680x 1050 - this will be replaced within a month with a 27 in ips ( Korean) or a Dell 24 inch.

8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC? During the next few weeks during Oct.

9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? USB 3.0? SATA 6Gb/s? eSATA? Onboard video (as a backup or main GPU)? UEFI? etc.

Nothing special, No need for raid, I do want crossfire or sli support for down the road. I do not need a mobo with "all the frills" probably wont use most of it. usb 3.0 yes.

10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If yes, what OS? Is it 32bit or 64bit? 64 bit win 7

Last edited:
How much funds will you have, say, this weekend?

For now, I'm going to focus on what you can reuse. For starters, the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus HSF should have mounting brackets for LGA 1156, which work on both LGA1155 (Sandy/Ivy Bridge) and LGA1150 (Haswell) motherboards. Can you find them?

Your old board uses DDR3 RAM... how many sticks do you have? What's the model number?

What model is your optical drive?

Kind of embarrassed lol I thought I had a samsung optical but it is actually this : 1 x Sony Optiarc DVD Burner with LightScribe Black SATA Model AD-7241S-0B LightScribe Support - OEM ...What a dork I am hahaI'll correct the info above :)

I have 16gb Gskill DDR3-1600PC3 12800 4096 X 4

On the 212 plus, I do believe it came with a bracket that, depending on which way you mount it can be used on 3 different sockets 1156 included. I have the directions and the box explaining as much, but no extra brackets. Hope this helps :)

As far as the funds, like I said above I have an buisiness acct at Newegg that I would prefer to use....I can actually spend more but I am cheap..err, thrifty! Yeah...thrifty :)

Last edited:
Reuse your case, RAM, CPU cooler, DVD burner, and HDD.

As for the rest of your parts:

$357 - Intel Core i5-4670K and Gigabyte GA-Z87X-D3H combo
$180 - Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD
$400 - Gigabyte GV-N770OC-2GD GTX 770 2GB
$130 - Seasonic M12II SS-850AM 850 watt modular power supply ($40 discount with promo code EMCYTZT4564, expires 11:59PM PDT tonight!)
=====
$1067 - Subtotal (not including shipping, taxes, or rebates)

Get the PSU tonight! Seasonic is one of the better PSU manufacturers, and a good 850 watt power supply normally costs over $100.

You never answered sticky question 10. Do you have a legit copy of Windows available?

Does the HAF 922 have any mounts for 2.5 inch drives? If not, you'll need to buy an adapter.

I chose the GTX 770 under the assumption that you might consider going SLI in the future (and that you end up with the 27 inch Korean monitor). A dual-GPU setup is preferred for 2560x1440 and SLI has less problems at the moment than CrossFire.

For the additional hard drive, do you want 1TB or 2TB?

Last edited:
1 TB should suffice. HAF does not have mounts for 2.5, although I seen to remember it coming with them, I may have it or I will get the adapter no problem.
I have a legit Win 7 64 bit. I actually answered # 10 but I made it confusing and put it on the same line as the question...sorry my bad .

What are you waiting for? GET THE POWER SUPPLY NOW!!!

NINETY DOLLARS for a GOOD!!!!1!1!! 850 WATT POWER SUPPLY!

Hahaha ordering now. Thanks very much tiraides for the upgrade advice, much appreciated. This is guaranteed to scream yes? lol...thx again

It'll scream at 1920x1080, but you may want to consider a second GTX 770 for 2560x1440.

(You can wait until you buy the 27 inch monitor before you grab the second card.)

Back