Advice on New Build

Smoothlegs

n00b
Hello All,
I am mulling around the idea of building a new PC. I built the one I use now.

first of all I am using it mainly for gaming. I play BF3, MW3, Left4Dead2 and am planning
on continuing probably with Black Ops 2.

Right now my pc consists of:
Silverstone Kublai case
Asus Maximus Formula MB
Intel Kentsfield Q6600 quad core processor
Asus Eyefinity Radeon HD 5870 graphics
Creative X-fi extreme music sound card
Kingston 2 hyper x 2GB memory DDR2 240 pin
OCZ Fatality 2x 2GB memory DDR2 240 pin
CORSAIR HX Series HX750 750W Modular Active PFC Power Supply
Seagate 1.5 TB SATA 7200 rpm harddrive
Windows 7 Ultimate OS

Using an ASUS 27 in LCD monitor
Logitech G-15 keyboard
OCZ dominatrix mouse

budget is $2500.00

I value and thank you for your help. :)

Please answer the stickied "ANSWER THESE QUESTIONS FIRST!" so that we can help you better. Were you planning on repurposing your old PC for anything else?

Sorry, I was trying to answer all the questions first. must have missed that one.repurposing my old pc for anything else? Not really.

Sorry, I was trying to answer all the questions first. must have missed that one.repurposing my old pc for anything else? Not really.

Answer all the questions with a question answer setup, like this.

2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?

My budget is $2500.00 tax and shipping included.

T&S included
USA- California
I can keep the case possibly
no Ocing planned
1920x1280 resolution 27 inch size ASUS LCD monitor
next 4 months possibly build
I have 64-bit OS legit windows 7 Ultimate
I have 2 DVD drives already they are working great
I have a Thermalright ultima 90 heatsink for the processor

I can keep whatever is useful and replace whatever is recommended. I am flexible.
When I built my first pc money was a huge issue and so I put money where it needed to be - graphics, processor and my case was a piece of crap that cost
me $20 and was a pain in the butt to work with.
I must admit I have been pretty loyal to ASUS on motherboards although I compromised and got an ASRock on my second PC and only spent $50 on it.
It worked great. But next pc I went back to ASUS and got the maximus formula. I have been choosy on power supply and I've not been disappointed there.
my first pc had a $10 power supply= BIG MISTAKE
I have only bought one pc and it was a dell and ever since then I have built my own.

Last edited:
Can you narrow down that time frame any further? A lot can change in a month let alone 4 months. If you can't narrow down the timeframe to 2-3 weeks from now, please come back when you're actually 2-3 weeks away from buying the PC. That'll be your best bet for an up-to-date build list

No sense going with Sandy Bridge-E if OP is not going to overclock. There is little to be gained in gaming with X79. I'm gonna list a Z77 build:

Temjin TJ04B..............$190
i7-3770...................$310
Z77 Maximum V Formula.....$280
2x4GB Crucial Ballistix 1866 (x2)........$38 (x2)
GTX 670......................$400
Seasonic X-850 Gold....$190*****(this is probably the number one item I'd get on this list)
Samsung 830 512GB......$570
2TB WD Caviar Black (x2).....$200 (x2)

comes out to just over $2400 (all from Newegg). You can always size down the SSD and storage drives for your needs. The WD Velociraptors are great but really pricey at higher capacities.

California... do you live near a brick-and-mortar Fry's or Micro Center?

How old is the hard drive? The Corsair HX750?

What graphics settings do you use while gaming?

Do you have the money to buy/build everything, say, now?

California... do you live near a brick-and-mortar Fry's or Micro Center?

How old is the hard drive? The Corsair HX750?

What graphics settings do you use while gaming?

Do you have the money to buy/build everything, say, now?

I know there are seasons where new stuff comes out. I don't know when that is but thought it was just before the end of the year
I have a Fry's very close.

The Corsair is about 8 months old. I use highest graphics setting which is 1920x1080

I know there are seasons where new stuff comes out. I don't know when that is but thought it was just before the end of the year
Again, can you narrow down that time frame any further? A lot can change in a month let alone 4 months. If you can't narrow down the timeframe to 2-3 weeks from now, please come back when you're actually 2-3 weeks away from buying the PC. That'll be your best bet for an up-to-date build list. If you want to be saddled with outdated build list and want to constant recheck the list, then go ahead and keep asking for help.

Back