Advice on moving PC to another area without introducing latency

dave343

[H]ard|Gawd
I've been thinking about moving my main gaming PC into a storage room that's close by, and by close I mean 5 ft away. I don't want to be running 5-7ft ft of different cables for the mouse, keyboard, monitor. headphones etc, and so a 1 cable solution sounds nice--I just don't know where to start, while keep the cost at a minimal. Anyone know of some simple solutions, like a Thunderbolt box, or fiber cables? My current board has TB4, but I'm a bit lost as to how I'd get the video output, and everything else bundled together and send it over a single cable since I'd also need to grab the DP/HDMI output from the GPU. Thanks

You will need a video cable because i dont think any boxes support high res or high refresh speeds, depending on your setup.

There are TB4 docks that'll do more than 60Hz, like this one: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09GK8LBWS?tag=track-ect-usa-72945-20&linkCode=osi&th=1&psc=1 That one will do 4k@144Hz over DP 1.4. Of course that dock is one of the fanciest ones around & costs $400. Maybe you can find something cheaper.

I don't know jack shit about using TB/USB-C video out on a desktop from a discrete GPU. Sorry! Just never looked into it. I'd test with a simple DP or HDMI adapter just to make sure you can get video out from a GPU through the TB4 port before buying a fancy dock unless you're sure it'll work.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
2 cable (say an hdmi + usb 3 to a monitor that is also an USB hub or a simple USB 3 hub) and connecting your headphone-keyboard-mouse to that monitor/hub seem simpler-cheaper than the single cable alternative, enough to at least consider it.

Specially that small of a distance you do not need anything special or optic.

Last edited:
2 cable (say an hdmi + usb 3 to a monitor that is also an USB hub) and connecting your headphone-keyboard-mouse to that monitor seem simpler-cheaper than the single cable alternative, enough to at least consider it.

Specially that small of a distance you do not need anything special or optic.
Probably as good as your going to get. If your sound card is an external USB based device, that also makes life easier as you can just plug it into the hub as the desk.

Back