Advice on HTPC/Media Server build...

Hello to all. Not new to building gaming PC's, but would like some advice on what components would be required for a HTPC that would also act as a music/pictures file server for my home network. I haven't finished purchasing all the pieces of it though.

Currently have:

ECS C51GM-M mATX skt. AM2
X2 5200+
2GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2 667mhz
Radeon X1950Pro 512 PCI-E
Enermax FMA 535W PSU
Thermaltake Mozart VC4000SN Media Desktop case
Maxtor 160GB SATA-II (for OS only)
Vista Home Premium 32-bit

Most of these parts came from a gaming PC i have that I upgraded. I believe though my mobo is lacking in features and expansion slots though. 2 PCI and 1 PCI-E x1 slot doesnt leave much for addon cards. No onboard RAID controller...which means I'd need a RAID PCI card.

I plan on purchasing:

2x 1TB hard drives (Seagate or WD...for RAID 1)
Hauppauge WinTV HVR-1800 PCI-E x1

Not sure what else I'd need. I don't know if i should get a 5.1/7.1 soundcard and speaker system for the PC (which would eat up my last available PCI slot) or go with an actual home theatre A/V system.

Any advice given greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I would sell the X1950 and get a ATI 2400pro as its passive, also try anf get a passive cooler for your CPU, noise is the key here.

Actually try and get a 2600 instead of the 2400.

Whilst both can accelerate HDDVD/Bluray so that your processor has to do a lot less work, the 2400 doesnt do any of the post processing afterwards and will get a very low score in a HQV test.

Sorry i don't mean to high jack your thread, but instead of strating a new one i need some input along the same lines.

i just bought a 40" samsung HD-TV and i want to turn my dell xps gen 4 into a full media pc, current specs are

P4 3.4GHz
1.5GB 533 DDR2
Audigy 2

so along with vista x64 i will be getting
4GB of ram
LG Super Multi Blue Blu-ray / HD DVD-ROM Drive, SATA
ATI 2600 Pro 512

Now what i haven't beeen able to figure out is, if the 2600 will do the vid and audio processing i am assuming the audio is just streamed to the sound card through software instead of a connection to the sound card. correct? and whats the best way to get pc audio from the sound card to a home audio recevier?

any advice would be great

Actually I'd ditch the ATI because their drivers completely blow under Vista, especially Vista x64. :p

8600GT FTW.

On the subject of audio.. Go with a SoundBlaster X-Fi and the Creative Theater Cables. It is the only way you are going to get support for the DD+, TrueHD, and DTS-HD audio.

Back