Advice on finishing Threadripper 3960 video editing build please

I am in the same situation. Holding off buying 3960X unless I have full coverage AIO. An AIO that covers 100% the CPU wil give superior performance to air cooling. Unfortuantely there are no good ones out there. Enermax one apparently gives excellent temps but QC issues!!! WTF are other AIO companies waiting for?

Enermax-Liqtech-TR4-II-1--pcgh_b2article_artwork.jpg

I am in the same situation. Holding off buying 3960X unless I have full coverage AIO. An AIO that covers 100% the CPU wil give superior performance to air cooling. Unfortuantely there are no good ones out there. Enermax one apparently gives excellent temps but QC issues!!! WTF are other AIO companies waiting for?

View attachment 214423

Threadripper compatible AIO's all seem to have massive QC problems. The LiqTech one is legendary for coming out of the box with massive amounts of corrosion. They often leak almost immediately. You are right though, full coverage is a must. I used my Thermaltake Floe Riing 360 Premium Edition on the test bench before I got a water block for it and found it was barely adequate for stock operation. This is an AIO that can take normal sized CPU's and tame them quite well. You can take a 9900K to 5.0GHz easily on one of these. A Threadripper 2950X throttled under heavy load using this cooler. There just isn't enough contact area in this design for a CPU like that.

I think the issue with the Threadripper AIO's comes down to them being produced by the same OEM in most cases. That OEM has issues, so they all seem to. There may be a few that don't, but I haven't heard of any specific ones with a good track record for Threadripper.

Reactions: mikeo
like this
Moving up to a 3960 or 70x is the perfect time to build your first custom loop. I avoided doing so for years but this is the first time a chip really needs it to perform at or better than stock.

Still undecided on how I will cool the 3960x since according to the reddit thread the AIOs are not much better then the air coolers and they all run hotter then the recommended 68 degrees. Friend is running Noctua air cooler but is in the high 70s for temps Is that fine?

Maybe I should return the 3960x and build a dual epyc 7282 instead? That I know I can cool on air and ram is cheaper and its cheaper over all but it clocks at 2.8 but has 32 cores vs 3.8 of the threadripper 3960 w 24 cores. Afraid of leaks from water cooling.

somebrains
Lasting 5 + years doesn't mean I will be using it for work for 5 years. I want something reliable that lasts until I want to upgrade and then some. I still have my dual p3 asus p2b-ds running windows 2000, dual p4 pc-dl running xp I use for old xp games. evga sr2 that sees some use for games if friends are over. This is my first single processor build not using server motherboard.

The issue with that service interval on consumer hardware is going to be driver and OS support.
My last Supermicro build took me from Sandy Bridge to Skylake X.
I was solid thru Windows, esxi, rhel, Ubuntu versions.

Content builds we just waited for the accountant to tell us gear needs to be upgraded bc it's holding invoices up.

Back