Advice on connecting 5.1 Logitech Z-5500 to a laptop

Discussion in 'Computer Audio' started by peppergomez, Jul 10, 2019 at 5:23 PM.

1. peppergomez

peppergomez Gawd

My desktop died and I have a replacement Alienware M15 laptop. I used to connect the Logitech Z-5500 speakers using the S/PDIF digital connector to my desktop, and note that the Alienware M15 just has a single headphone jack.

On the back of the lLogitech receiver there are 3 1/4" RCA inputs, for rear, center/sub, and front., but the Alienware laptop just has a single 1/4" headphone input.

2. IdiotInCharge

IdiotInCharge [H]ardForum Junkie

You need something that can either a) offer the necessary six discrete audio channels (a 5.1 USB sound card, essentially), or something that can output a DD / DTS 5.1 signal over S/PDIF.

36-121-120-31.jpg

From what I can tell, it has three stereo minijack connectors for analog 5.1 input as well as both forms of S/PDIF for stereo PCM and encoded / compressed 5.1 digital. There are numerous options available around ~US$15 that can do the analog output, but be warned that these include very cheap digital to analog converters. May be fine, may not be.

To do S/PDIF for more than stereo, you're going to need something that can encode 5.1, which is not easy to do (there's licensing involved). Creative likely has the products you'd want and they won't be cheap.

Now, if you just want stereo output from Windows and can live with 5.1 only coming from pre-encoded sources, i.e. movies from discs or streams, a regular S/PDIF output would work fine.

3. peppergomez

peppergomez Gawd

Thanks. That's right, it has the 3 stereo minijack connectors (bass/center, front, back). The M51 laptop doesn't have S/PDIF, just the single headphone stereo minijack, so I won't be able to do S/PDIF I am thinking, unless there is a convertor or some such. I'll search Amazon for that.

4. IdiotInCharge

There are plenty that do USB to S/PDIF, however you have to go with something less generic if you're going to want to do 5.1 in Windows. S/PDIF is only natively stereo.

5. Criticalhitkoala

Criticalhitkoala [H]ard|Gawd

pendragon1 likes this.
  6. DoubleTap

DoubleTap [H]ard|Gawd

If you want 5.1, get a Sound Blaster Omni 5.1 or one of the Asus Xonar USB sound cards. They will connect through USB and give you discrete 5.1

IdiotInCharge likes this.
  7. IdiotInCharge

I added a link- The 'Dolby Digital Live' functionality is what peppergomez is going to need to use S/PDIF and get 5.1 all the time out to their speakers. Otherwise there are stacks of these generic USB 5.1 sound cards that can do the analog breakouts as well as do stereo over S/PDIF and pass pre-encoded 5.1 from discs or streams.