Advice on choosing a 24" monitor...

GWW

n00b
This monitor will primarily be used for gaming. Beyond that just basic net and desktop stuff.

I have a big LCD tv for movies and console gaming.

For a brief time 18 months ago I had a Dell 2707 monitor, it ended up having a dead pixel so I returned it. Not to mention that given my desk size, the 27 I felt was too big. I had to actually look up or down at maps/health/ammo etc which was annoying.

I found the colors on it to be beautiful in games however. Especially with bloom lighting and such on, purples were just much more vivid than I'm used to on my CRT. Which may not be true... but they sure looked it to me at the time.

I'm currently using a Sony G520 CRT monitor. It's great, but it's starting to fail with some right side blurriness and the colors are really starting to muddy. Age I guess.

So, 24". Gaming. It'll be my first real LCD monitor, so it needs to make me really want to move to it from my CRT. I'd like to feel safe that it will not have dead pixels or at least have a 0 dead pixel warranty. I'd like the input lag to be pretty low. I'd like color representation to be high, I'm a fan of vivid colors and very dark blacks.

I don't want a monitor that can't display dark scenes or turns dark games black, if that makes sense. So I guess contrast may be an issue.

I've been on the market for a display for a long time. I'm really in the mood to just buy and be done right now. Would be a nice thing for under the Xmas tree I reckon.

I've read a LOT of reviews and that may be my problem. There's always something wrong with everything. I've been looking for that perfect monitor for too long I think, it's time to just buy a great one.

Any advice, or help would be greatly appreciated.

Much thanks.

Check out the new HP LP2475w. SIPS type panel, excellent color after calibration. I used the calibration settings that TFT Central used in their review because I do not have a cal kit. I purchased the monitor 2 weeks ago and the monitor is excellent for gaming. Read the review for the LP2475w over at TFT Central. The review is pretty spot on. This one is a bit pricey, but you are getting quality. I'm coming to this monitor after using a Samsung 205BW. I got the Samsung for a great price, but the color / sharpness of the SIPS panel vs the TN panel is so much better.

Price isn't really an issue as long as it's a quality piece that I won't regret buying.

How's the input lag on the HP? I wasn't even aware HP were making monitors... isn't that kinda like buying steak at a fish shop?

Edit: Just looked at HP's dead pixel policy and it's pretty average.

Check out the new HP LP2475w. SIPS type panel, excellent color after calibration. I used the calibration settings that TFT Central used in their review because I do not have a cal kit. I purchased the monitor 2 weeks ago and the monitor is excellent for gaming. Read the review for the LP2475w over at TFT Central. The review is pretty spot on. This one is a bit pricey, but you are getting quality. I'm coming to this monitor after using a Samsung 205BW. I got the Samsung for a great price, but the color / sharpness of the SIPS panel vs the TN panel is so much better.

But at, on average, two to three times the price of TN panels, not everyone can afford an S-IPS panel.

Price isn't really an issue as long as it's a quality piece that I won't regret buying.

It wasn't cheap. But it is a quality monitor.

How's the input lag on the HP?

Read the review at TFT Central. According to their tests, input lag was pretty close to the NEC SIPS panel, which had some of the lowest input lag. Honestly, I don't see any input lag. I've played CSS, COD4 & COD:WAW and Guitar hero on the Wii. So far all games have played flawlessly. I suppose that if put a CRT right next to it and did a split screen comparison, you'd see something, but in reality I don't detect any input lag or inverse ghosting.

Regarding HP's pixel policy, all manufacturers are about the same. HP seems to have pretty good QA/QC. No problems here. I oredered online at PCNation.com. PCNation had a 30 day return policy if deemed defective. I asked before i bought about dead pixels and the rep said return the monitor within 30 days. No problems here with mine. I would think that by now, LCD manufacture ought to be at a point where dead pixels aren't an issue.

24" Widescreen CRT (FW900) From Ebay.

need i say more?....

I too would recommend the HP LP2475W if color accuracy is a concern. The input lag is 25ms if I remember correctly. IPS panels generally outputs the best colors and has very good black levels once the monitor is properly calibrated.

If color accuracy is not of high importance, then monitors using the cheaper and less color accurate TN panels would suffice for most people. However, you will mostly see some color degredation between a TN panel and a CRT.

Lots of gamers prefer TN panels because of the lower response time 2ms - 5ms as opposed to 6ms - 8ms for PVA / MVA / IPS panels. These "low" response times are under ideal situations. A monitor rated at 2ms can still have response times as high as 50ms depending on the situation. Generally, the lower the "stated" response times, the lower the chances of seeing ghosting effects. Due to the limitation of LCD technology, ghosting will never be eliminated.

Generally speaking, no company offers a "zero dead pixel policy" anymore. The only one that did was Planar and that was many years ago. My first LCD is was in fact a Planar; the 19" PX191. I bought from Planar because of their dead pixel policy and their 2-day replacement guarantee; free of charge.

Of course, the monitor itself cost an arm and a leg. I bought the PX191 for $650 back in 2002, and that included a $100 off sale. I think typical 19" LCD back then were around $400. I love my Planar, it still works to this day and it uses a S-PVA panel.

Back