Advice on Cable Modem purchase

RomeoGolf87

Weaksauce
I'm looking at purchasing my own cable modem rather than continue renting one through my isp. I think I have narrowed it down to 2 options:

Less expensive Motorola MT7711 $199.99
https://www.amazon.com/MOTOROLA-MT7...d=1561911579&s=electronics&sr=1-1-spons&psc=1

More expensive Netgear C7100V $279.99
https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Nigh...ar+C7100V&qid=1561912609&s=electronics&sr=1-3

I've used both brand's networking products in the past, but Netgear appears like the better brand possibly? Has anyone used either of these 2 devices before? Is the Netgear worth the extra $80?

What are your thoughts? Thanks

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Each is a fully integrated modem/router. Is this what you're currently renting? Any reason you'd not want separate units? The router and WiFi functions integrated into such units aren't known for their features or performance.

Both units are only 24x8, so their bandwidth to the ISP is fairly limited. Even if you're not bumping against the limits now, you might be fairly soon. I can't see buying anything less than a DOCSIS 3.1 unit a this point (avoid the 32x8 units, as most of those use a problematic chipset).

Also, both have an eMTA for a phone line. Is this something you actually need?

Thanks for your response
These 2 units are recommended by my isp, xfinity. I currently have a integrated modem/router. Kind of limited on desk space where we keep the modem/router now, i'd prefer to keep it all in one unless there is cost savings/better performance with separate?
Currently we never have more than 2 devices going at once, but better bandwidth wouldn't hurt. We actually are planning on using the emta for a phone line. My spouse works from home and a land line would benefit her. Also since this will be used for connecting into work, simplicity may be a better way to go, ie all in one device?
Could your provide a product example of a DOCSIS 3.1 unit for me to investigate?
Thanks again
Edit: I found this online, https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Nigh...tgear+CM1150V&qid=1561946084&s=gateway&sr=8-1

Last edited:
Well, if space and/or budget are concerns then an all-in-one should be OK. You just may not get as much life out of a DOCSIS 3.0 models before it's obsolete (though you should still be able to more than recoup the purchase price after saved rental fees).

I don't know anything in particular about the two units you originally linked. At the least, neither will suffer from the Intel chipset issue.

That's the only Comcast-approved DOCSIS 3.1 eMTA unit that I'm aware of (been looking at it myself). It's only a modem, though. You'd need a separate router. (And it sure ain't cheap.)

I'm seriously considering purchasing the Netgear CM1150V modem with voice now, and using an older Netgear WNR3500v2 wifi router that I have in storage. I'm more concerned with wired performance than wireless performance right now. I could upgrade to a better wifi router later. The CM1150V is a better modem than the modem in the C7100V.

Go with the Netgear instead of the Motorola. The Motorola is just a rebrand of Zoom modems, not the Motorola networking products you have used in the past.

I ordered the Netgear CM1150V. I tested out my old Netgear WNR3500v2 wifi router and it still works fine for our mobile devices. I'll see how it goes. Thanks for the advice!

I received the new modem, CM1150V, early last week and set it up. Setup was really simple and I was back online within one hour. I ran an internet speed test before and after installation of the new modem. Downstream increased by about 10Mb/s and upstream by 1Mb/s.
My only gripe about the modem is that as of right now only 1 of the 4 ethernet ports are functional on the back of the unit. At first I thought it was an integrated gigabit switch, but the ports are suppose to be for port aggregation. Unfortunately port aggregation is not currently available until a future firmware update, which may never come. Not too worried about it because I wasn't planning on using port aggregation, but maybe in the future. Still happy with it so far, I should recoup the cost of the modem within 18 months due to rental fee savings.
Thanks all!

Back