Advice on 5.1 speakers

Hulk

Supreme [H]ardness
Ok, so I currently have an Onkyo TS-SR603X receiver http://www.crutchfield.com/S-6YPggHcDWhr/p_580TXS603B/Onkyo-TX-SR603X-Black.html

It provides 90 watts x 7 channels. I currently have it hooked up to my gaming desktop in my office with a pair of Onix X-series X-LS speakers and a matching x-sub (150w RMS) with the 8-inch woofer firing down onto a pedestal. I bought the complete 5.1 Onix setup from AV123 (before they went out of business) like 4 years ago. Anyways, I needed some money so I sold the center channel and the pair of rear speakers.

So now, I am asking for some advice for a center channel and a pair of rear speakers. This setup will be in my office, so I don't really need speakers as big as the X-LS I have now.

I was thinking of going with this, is it a good deal?

http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10906&cs_id=1090601&p_id=8247&seq=1&format=2

I can use the center channel and the two rear speakers from that setup. How would I go about hooking up the sub from that setup to my current sub (for a 5.2 setup)? Here is a pic of my current sub:
Do you think having two subs (one 150rms the other 60rms watts) would sound good? Where should I place them in the office? If one is placed behind me in the left corner should the other be placed in the right corner behind me?

707Onix.2.jpg

Ok, so I think a better deal for me would be the following:

Dayton B652 6 1/2 2" Way speakers for the rear $45
Dayton CCS 33B Center Channel Speaker $50

I think this is a lot better and cost effective over the monoprice setup. Any opions on this setup?
Also what gauge wire do you recommend I use on the Dayton speakers?

You want to get a center that matches your front left/right speakers otherwise it will sound weird. There will be a noticeable change in tone and well, you don't want that. Better to run a phantom center than a mismatched center.

For rears, the daytons would be fine. Could check out monoprice's bookshelves too. If you want something nicer, look for a dipole or bipole speaker. You'ld get more for your money buying used, so consider that.

It was too bad to see AV123 go out of business.

How do you feel about your sub? If you are happy with your sub, then why not look for a 5.0 system rather than a 5.1 system?

Also, from what your links point to, I am guessing you have a budget of only $100 for 5.0/5.1 system?

....and take that 90 watts per channel with a grain of salt or w/e the expression is.

Back