Advice for sound on upcoming build

DangerIsGo

2[H]4U
So my specs are

Intel Q9550
Asus Rampage Formula (no sound board, got the mobo open box)
Powercolor HD5870
8GB OCZ DDR2-800
Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS Platinum

So, I'm looking to get something like the following:
Intel Sandy Bridge
An X68 (or Z68) chipset mobo, probably from Asus, whatever their enthusiast chipset is
Same graphics card

So, I'm looking to upgrade my card (yes, really!) but some conditions:

1) I do game, watch movies, and listen to music a lot
2) Logitech Z-5500s connected via optical
3) When watching movies, I let the logitech decode the DTS/AC3 signals rather than the card (SPDIF passthrough enabled). When listening to music or playing games, the card does (no SPDIF passthrough for the music of games unfortunately)
4) I want to record with it, nothing professional, just better than the ZS does (as the drivers SUCK for win 7 x64)
5) When I connect my guitar to it, and play, there is no delay from input to output which is what I want. I have tried Auzentech (X-Fi) and Creative (X-Fi) cards, and I have gotten a delay when clicking on "Listen to this device" under the Listen tab in the properties of a recording device ( in this case, the Line In). I gave up on both cards and went back to my ZS and figured out why I can play, listen to the line in's passthrough with no delay and that is via this screen:

audioh.png

6) I think the one's most important...I can't be Fatal1ty branded. Sorry, never have and never will buy any of his brand.

Any suggestions for a good playback and recording card that solves my passthrough issue?

This

This

Or This

That new Creative up there looks nice. I have the X-fi Titanium Champion series, and its been fine. Couple bugs to work through, but mainly settings issues. That said, I wish to god I hadn't got the one with the front panel as its completely useless.

I'd keep the Audigy 2 ZS and just buy the DDL pack ($4) for it.

Thanks. Ill take a look at those cards if this pack doesnt work. Gotta love Creative though...you have to pay for new drivers :rolleyes:

Update: I just saw Creative released 2.18.0017 drivers in April of 2010, so I installed those....still the same issue with my card and recording and how it sounds like I'm in a wind tunnel. (If anyone wants to hear, Ill get a clip of something and post it)
I'm not sure if a driver pack will fix this issue since the latest drivers they have don't. I think I'm just best off getting a new card, but I want those options (like in the pic from the original post) so I don't have to hear that damn delay.

Interesting bit: If I click the Mute button on the Levels and then click 'Listen to this device' under the Listen tab in Recording for the Line In, I don't hear anything. It looks as if its something with this card/drivers that switches the pass through functionality over to the 'Levels' tab whereas with other cards, its via that checkbox :(

Last edited:
Further update, I got the X-Fi Titanium HD off Newegg for $140 and it works damn beautifully. Granted I wish there was a separate optical in/out but for now, it does everything I want with no pass through delay. Records wonderfully. :)

Back