Advice for print server cutover? (Server 2008 x64)

Discussion in 'Networking & Security' started by O2Flow, Mar 1, 2011.

1. O2Flow

O2Flow Limp Gawd

Ok so here's the deal:

2008 domain
    GPP extension on all clients

Old server:
    2003 32bit
    has ~150 network printers
    old name

New server:
    2008 x64
    cannot have same name as old server

My questions:

Since I can't use Print Migrator 3.1 (from 2003 to 2008 x64) can I install the new printers on the new server without conflicting with the old printers/server? If so I should just be able to roll the new printers out via GPP to each respective OU, right? Any advice on removing the old printers from the clients? It's 4-500 clients so I can't touch each one physically. I'm aware I will need x64 drivers when installing on the server then will need to manually add the 32bit drivers during each install (on the server).

Any advice would be appreciated. I've migrated 20-30 printers but never 150 off one server before.

2. ciggwin

ciggwin [H]ardness Supreme

From my experience you can add the printers on any server without conflict. They are basically just "there" and people can connect to them if they want to. So you should be able to set up the printers on the new server without issue.

I don't know much about removing the existing printers from the client machines, especially with GPP. I have to brush up on my GPP skills as well as upgrade my functional domain level.

I was researching a script to delete all printers when the clients logged in and got it working, but never used it other than testing.
    Thread here: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1566408

[​IMG]

3. O2Flow

O2Flow Limp Gawd

Thanks, that answers my first question. Gah this is gonna be a pain in the ass I'm sure. Still trying to figure out how to remove all network printers via GPP. I've got the machines in respective OUs but all users need to stay in 1 OU. I created a policy preference on both the user and computer sections, loopback processing enabled and the Delete action on (delete all network printers), applied to a test OU with the PC moved into it. Still not working. Gpresult is showing the policy as being applied and not filtered out (both the user and computer sections of gpresult), nothing in the event log. Anyone?

4. jpochedl

jpochedl Limp Gawd

I'd go with a script instead of GPP... My $.02.

I have a vbscript that would migrate mapped printer connections from one server to another, assuming that the share names were the same from ServerA to ServerB... I can send it to you if you like. (PM me, I don't have VPN this laptop to grab the script from work right now.)