Advice for New Displays

oneils

Limp Gawd
Hey there, I'm looking to replace my monitors (my secondary monitor broke) and would love some advice.

I'm thinking of getting two 24 inch monitors with 1080p.

My budget is about 300 bucks per monitor.

Any suggestions? I mostly play video games and watch youtube videos on my monitors. I don't really watch movies on them.

**********************************************************************************

I currently have an HP 2509b and a Viewsonic VP201s. The viewsonic is borked. I think I bought it back in 2004 for about 900 bucks. Was state of the art back then.

I'm not really sure what to get. There seems to be two camps:

- 120hz/lightboost TN crowd, or
- IPS 10bit colour crowd.

I think I would be fine with either.

I guess I didn't give enough info for folks to go on.

I had posted this on neogaf as well, didn't get any advice. Can't blame anyone, but myself, really.

However, I did some research and settled on two Asus VS24AH-P 24 inch monitors.

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236331

They are LED IPS monitors. Settled on them due to value and IQ. I've been using 60hz lcds for so long I don't think I will really mind sticking with them right now.

The only criteria they don't meet is that their resolution is 1900x1200. I don't think that will be a problem for me.

Anyone think I'm making a mistake? They are shipped already, but I'm wondering about peoples' opinions of this monitor.

Last edited:
Did you search for reviews? Someone might have sRGB dE, contrast ratio, bleed, pwm, etc. listed.

I hope your video games aren't FPS, 60Hz LCD sucks for that.

I can't say anything about the monitor's quality, except that I refuse to use matte for a main screen, at any resolution I've seen. (1080, 1200, 1440, 4k.) Most people don't seem to care.

I don't really think I'll have a problem with 60hz. Been using it now since I got the viewsonic vp201 (in 2004). I'm used to matte monitors. Apparently the AG coating isn't too bad on this one.

Found a review on prad.de

They gave it a rating of good: http://translate.google.com/transla...nitore/test/2014/test-asus-vs24ahl-teil8.html

this is a link to the translated document

the review is of the "ergonomic" version of the monitor: VS24AHL

but the display itself is apparently the same.

Replying to my own thread for an update.

Got the monitors last night. Very good colour. Glad I got these. Very satisfied for the price. Was surprised at the difference in colour reproduction.

Monitors are very bright though. Have brightness set to 9 out of 100.

Don't see any ghosting when playing games. No discernible input lag either. They are 60hz, so I'm sure some might not like them for their purposes.

Back