Advice for a new mac user

erehwon6811

Limp Gawd
I have been wanting to learn a bit more about macs, so I decided to get one to play with. I picked up on craigslist a lot of 4 G5 imacs for $40. They're a bit old, but it gives me the chance to try fixing mac hardware as well. I only got one to work so far, it just needed some ram. The others have more problems, like screens, passwords, and powering up issues.

Do you guys have any advice for someone who's primarily been a windows user? What are some good forums just for Macs? Is resetting mac passwords harder then windows passwords? The one working one was running OS X 10.6.8. What version of OS X could I update it up to?

This is like asking how to start to learn windows with a p3 processor and windows XP. It will just make you hate OSX.

Really the G5 was released in 2003!

This is like asking how to start to learn windows with a p3 processor and windows XP. It will just make you hate OSX.

Really the G5 was released in 2003!

This. You won't get anything close to a recent version of macOS and therefore will not form an impression that in any way conforms to the reality of the OS in 2017.

There are often several 2011-2012 Macbook Pros/Airs on my local craigslist for sub $250, that'd be the best way to get into the newer stuff. I'm sure there are newer desktops as well if you're into that.

Okay, that is good to know. I'm still going to try and fix one or two. I fix up older computers on the side, so I could still make my money back. At least, I'll get some repair practice from them. I'll just have to find something newer to learn OSX on.

If you have them, I could still use recommendations for reading up on macs.

Back