Advice for 2 side portrait monitors with a XHD3000 in the center?

BamaDave

n00b
So, I want to run a triple monitor setup with my Gateway XHD3000 in the middle and I need to determine what sides I can get to run in portrait. I know the XHD3000 has put a bad taste in the mouth of its owners, but I just had mine repaired and updated with additional cooling, but now I want some sides to expand my viewing field further with a portrait landscape portrait configuration. I would like the bezels to line up and mach up as much as possible as to not look like an afterthought. Thanks, David

The problem with PLP is that it isn't supported in Eyefinity/nVSurround gaming. If you are going to use the PLP for gaming you will be restricted to the XHD3000. If you want to do Eyefinity/nVSurround on 3 monitors buy 2 more 30" monitors.

The best portrait monitors are 20" 1600x1200 4:3. They are *MOSTLY* IPS (some are PVA, there is a panel lottery) and match the PPI and vertical resolution nearly perfectly with your XHD3000. The most popular solution is the Dell 2007FP as it is has small bezels (smaller than the XHD3000's), the buttons are on the front of the monitor, and the stand is both height-adjustable and allows the monitor to be rotated into portrait mode so you don't have to buy fancy monitor mounts if you don't want to. If you do want to remount the monitor the 2007FP has a 100mm VESA mount on the back, it even comes with the screws. The 2007FP is $440 CDN on Dell's website.

Just one: windowed gaming.

That assumes several conditions:

1). The game supports windowed mode (it can be forced but that doesn't always end well)
2). You don't mind losing certain functionality like anti-aliasing
3). You don't want bezel compensation
4). You don't have CrossFire/SLI (as windowed mode will engage only the first GPU)

I had a PLP setup myself once (XHD3000 and 2x2001FP), the inability to do Eyefinity eventually made me switch to first 5x24" 1920x1200 portrait and then 3x30" 2560x1600 landscape (which I still have).

I'll be running 3x EVGA GTX 680 in SL. Perhaps I should just look at two Dell 2007FP to run with the XHD. Might have to do some desk adjustment to support the group for sure. Thanks, David

With that kind of GPU power (assuming you have the CPU power to go with it) you could drive 3x30". Triple GTX 680 SLI sounds a bit overkill to me, even for 1600p. Normally I would suggest you compromise and go 3x24" 1080p but you already have the XHD3000.

Power shouldn't be an issue and the processer is an i7 3930. I'm more concerned with additional monitor selection and space at my desk to place them. Might have to purchase mounting brackets to support them as well. Any suggestions on monitors and a bracket? My desk is just short of 5' long and I would like to use the XHD as I just had it modified for better cooling. :D

With that kind of GPU power (assuming you have the CPU power to go with it) you could drive 3x30". Triple GTX 680 SLI sounds a bit overkill to me, even for 1600p. Normally I would suggest you compromise and go 3x24" 1080p but you already have the XHD3000.

I went through the same search for my 305t+. I searched for monitors with similar dimensions, reasonably close pixel sizes, etc. I ended up finding some used 204Ts and they worked perfectly.

home_office.jpg

I recommend looking at older 4:3 1600x1200 monitors and try to find something that works. Craislist/Ebay will be helpful.

For video cards - I was running 2xGTX570 in SLI for the 30", and a 9700 I think for the bookend monitors.

Last edited:
Back