Advice: Dell 2412M vs 2 x HP LP2065 vs 2x HP LP2275W

poindexter

Weaksauce
Hi all,

Great forum. Been lurking for a while trying to settle on my first non-TN monitor and would love some input.

I'm considering the following 3 choices to attach to my thinkpad (T520, integrated Intel HD 3000 graphics). My main use is reading/research/web/writing. Lots of concurrent windows/apps. Secondary use is video, but not particularly concerned with bluray since my laptop lacks bluray drive. No gaming. As you can see by my short-list, I'm trying to keep the budget down:

1. One Dell 2412M. 1920x1200, e-IPS, 6bit+FRC, LED-lit (~$270 on sale)

2. Two HP LP2065's ($90 each), off lease w/low hours (~2000 hrs). These are 1600x1200, S-IPS (not MVA), CCFL-lit, 8-bit displays (~$90 each). I think these lack HDCP. 2xDVI-I inputs. 90 day warranty

3. Two HP LP2275W's ($140 each), again off lease, 1680x1050, S-PVA, 8-bit, CCFL. These appear to be high-gamut displays. Not sure if that's a pro or con, since I don't do photo editing. DVI-I and DP. 6 month warranty.

I like the idea of two displays for the extra screen space; however I'll likely have to connect one of these to a VGA port. (Have 1 DP, 1 VGA on laptop). 1200 vertical pixels seem preferable to 1050 for document/web. A bit concerned about the lower dot pitch on the LP2065's but the price is great.

I would really appreciate input from anyone with experience with these monitors! Thanks.

The u2412's have much better image quality compared to those old models.

6 vs 8 bit makes no difference.

I'm looking at purchasing some monitors soon, and was wondering if you'd share where you found 2412's for $270? Best I can find is ~$315 from the Dell Small Business store after a coupon code, and that expires in a week.

Simonzi, Dell Canada has the 2412 for $295 - 10% with some coupon code ~ $265. Search the 2412 thread for my post with the code.

Back to the topic at hand - any other opinions?

2 screens vs 1 is a big difference. Depends on the kind of work you do. Worst case, with only 1 external monitor such as the u2412 option, just use the built in laptop screen as your secondary monitor. The only downside is not getting a good angle because the front of the laptop juts out and eats into keyboard space. Unless you make the laptop the primary input device and then you can angle the monitor perfectly.

Thanks for the info poindexter.

Sadly, processing the order through the Canada Small Business, doesn't look like it will allow me to get it shipped to a US address. As well as the initial discount expires tomorrow, and the 10% off coupon the day after that. I'm not looking to pull the trigger on this purchase until next week :(

Back onto the topic at hand, I couldn't imagine owning a computer without 2 monitors (at least, about to jump to 3). But that's because I enjoy being able to multitask. Game\browse the web. Work on graphics\have a movie on. The U2412 should look the best out of what you listed, but if you think you'll get a lot of use out of multiple monitors, it may be worth the hit to go with the dual monitor setup.

Back