Advice: Can I use this CPU with this ex-HP mobo?

starhawk

[H]F Junkie
Someone on eBay "liberated" an ASUS M2N61-AR board out of something small and HP. That board is now on its way to me. (I'm aware of the funky power supply connector -- my adapter cable has already arrived.)

Here's HP's essentially vestigial specs page for that board --> http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&docname=c01321559#N88
A pity I can't use a short URL service here -- HP has a knack for making URLs long as my arm...

My board is coming with the HSF and an AM2 Athlon 64 X2 5000+. That's a 65w CPU and I'd like to make the setup a touch less thirsty at the wall socket... trouble is HP doesn't give really any useful info on what CPUs can go in this thing... grrrr aargh...

I know about the obvious drop in performance and I don't give a hoot -- I'm going to be using this as a box for a lightweight Linux distro that I'm in love with; the performance "penalty" is kind of insignificant given that this distro works on most P3 systems just fine ;) heck, I've got a P2 laptop that sort of runs it (weird hardware from 1999 means not everything works, but that's more hardware than software).

So if I get an AM2 Sempron 3000+ (SDD3000IAA3CN -- 1.6GHz, 35w) would my new board work with it? Does anyone know?

Yea I would bet that it would work just fine. And wow that is a tiny AMD board. It isn't too common to see Mini ITX AMD boards. Good luck with your build!

Jason

Other opinions? Sorry dude, no offense or anything -- it's $25ish inc shipping from eBay, and I'm a low income dude. I want to be 1000% sure before I buy, particularly cuz it has to come from HK on a sampan to get the price even that low >.< I can't afford return shipping for sure.

In theory any AM2 Sempron under the power limit SHOULD work.

On a side note, the massive lack of documentation is one of the many reasons OEM parts drive me nuts.

I hear that!

I've put together way too many nonfunctional devices, though, to be comforted by "in theory..." because that usually doesn't work out too well in practice ;)

Board arrived dead (bought on eBay) so this is now moot.

Mods close plz.

Back