Advice--best 2 GB Radeon 6950??

MikeSp

Weaksauce
Please -- this is not a contest between Nvidia and AMD or between different models of cards -- I have not built a computer for several years and have always used ATI cards and while it will be used mostly for Photoshop on a graphics high resolution monitor, there is a possibility of a game or two;)

I really have no interest in overclocking a GPU but am more interested in long term reliability and company support should it be needed. My computers currently have Sapphire cards in them. I realize that the 6950 is overkill for my needs but let's just stay with the 6950.

Recommendations would be appreciated in regard to the best brand(s) of AMD Radeon cards in terms of long term reliability and company support and if one of the 6950's with 2GB stands out (keeping in mind reliability and company support)...

Thoughts/opinions??

Thanks

MikeSp

XFX, the warranty alone should suffice for a reason.

Or msi twin frozr ii as they have good luck unlocking at this point. Also sapphire toxic, but I hear their cs and warranty blows

Sapphire Toxic for best performance and preflashed 6950/6970 dual bios switch, or MSI for their amazingly quiet and effective Twin Frozr cooler. As much as I love XFX's double lifetime, you pay more for the card, they don't have advanced shipping, and my last turnaround on an artifacting 5770 was almost a month.

If you get a XFX, at least get one with dual fan. The single fan versions run really hot apparently.

Because you have no interest in overclocking/unlocking, etc, and this is mostly about warranty, longevity, and customer support your best option is XFX. They aren't perfect, but there is no EVGA alternative to the ATI market. XFX has an excellent double warranty, meaning you get lifetime warranty, and you can transfer that once to someone else if you sell the card.

A couple issues you should be aware of with XFX though. If you buy a 6950 and have to RMA it, you will get a used 6950 back (most of the time, common practise in the industry) but it may not be the same KIND of 6950, meaning you might send in a reference model and get a non-reference model back, etc. And although they are the best of the ATI market, at times the RMA will be slow as they dont always have the right replacement cards on hand.

Back