advice about my 360

Dome

2[H]4U
so my halo 3 edition e74'd two days ago after a wonderful year and a half. it's free to fix, i got my shipping label and all i gotta do is send it in. my friend said he'd be interested in buying it from me for 150 once it got back.

my question to you guys: if i bought a new xbox (60 gig) for 300 bucks, do you think i'd gain anything other than larger harddrive (not a huge deal but it'll be nice) and a friend to play games with over live? 150 is an amount i can afford, but not something i wanna spend lightly.

what would you guys do? this friend is someone with whom i've played most of my co-op games all the way through, so that'd be really fun.

i've thought briefly about buying a ps3, but i don't wanna spend the extra money on controllers and a bunch of new games, there aren't quite enough games for it i want to buy yet (although i plan to buy one later anyway)

Just buy a bigger hard drive and keep the returned console. I just picked up a 60GB myself.

so my halo 3 edition e74'd two days ago after a wonderful year and a half. it's free to fix, i got my shipping label and all i gotta do is send it in. my friend said he'd be interested in buying it from me for 150 once it got back.

my question to you guys: if i bought a new xbox (60 gig) for 300 bucks, do you think i'd gain anything other than larger harddrive (not a huge deal but it'll be nice) and a friend to play games with over live? 150 is an amount i can afford, but not something i wanna spend lightly.

what would you guys do? this friend is someone with whom i've played most of my co-op games all the way through, so that'd be really fun.

i've thought briefly about buying a ps3, but i don't wanna spend the extra money on controllers and a bunch of new games, there aren't quite enough games for it i want to buy yet (although i plan to buy one later anyway)
If nothing else you'll have a new warranty.

It doesn't make sense for your friend to buy your 360 for cheap if you're buying a new one. If he wants a console he should buy one himself, and NOT try to rip you off :)

If nothing else you'll have a new warranty.

It doesn't make sense for your friend to buy your 360 for cheap if you're buying a new one. If he wants a console he should buy one himself, and NOT try to rip you off :)

If you have your console repaired they extend the warranty??

i think he means if i buy a new xbox i'll have a new warranty. my friend's not ripping me off, 150 is the friend discount + used, malfunctioning xbox discount.

basically i'd be paying 150 to get a new (hopefully fully function) xbox and have a friend to play them with (friend can't afford a brand new xbox + games + controllers)

Your friend could easily get a new Arcade for around $150-$160 on Dell.

Then just buy a 60GB HD for yourself and give your friend your old 20 gig HD.

i think he means if i buy a new xbox i'll have a new warranty. my friend's not ripping me off, 150 is the friend discount + used, malfunctioning xbox discount.

basically i'd be paying 150 to get a new (hopefully fully function) xbox and have a friend to play them with (friend can't afford a brand new xbox + games + controllers)

When my 360 died they sent me a brand new unit, they didn't just fix the old one. Mine new unit arrived around the 11th of January, '08 and the console they sent back was built Dec 27th, '07.

So you "might" not be giving him a malfunctioning 360 but instead a brand new unit.

When my 360 died they sent me a brand new unit, they didn't just fix the old one. Mine new unit arrived around the 11th of January, '08 and the console they sent back was built Dec 27th, '07.

So you "might" not be giving him a malfunctioning 360 but instead a brand new unit.

yeah i agree with kabob, for the most part, microsoft won't send you back a dead unit unless it's just one rare time, and they do usually try to repair units, but as with kabob, in my past experience they send me back new ones. And i do believe they extend your warranty when you get a box repaired by 3-6 months (?) im not exactly sure about the date since it's been a while, but im pretty sure they do, at least used to :D

I agree with both JW and Kabob....
Wait and see what you get back from MS and then go from there. I was able to pick up my Jasper Arcade from Dell for $172 shipped to my door. Waited a couple weeks and got a deal on the 60gb HDD kit for $92 to my door from Dell as well.

Had I used the same 20% off coupon on the 60gb Falcon system I would have gotten it for around $250 to my door. But instead I paid $264 for a new Jasper system, the $15 is worth it to me as the thing runs silent and my Wii (release version) puts out more heat even after 4hrs of playing online. Keep your eye on Techbargains.com and see if they release another 20% off coupon from dell on the consoles. With the failure rate of the non-Jasper systems (and they do still fail some) I would rather pay a little extra money to have a "better built" system than get one that will either RRoD or E74 on me. Also, if you can find a deal the rumor is that the new Resident Evil 5 editions are partially Jaspers. IE... some of them are built with Jasper Systems and some are built with Falcon. It is just hit or miss.

interesting to know that MS sometimes gives out new units, all the posts i've read are of people who received repaired/refurbed models

if i have to recover a gamertag does it keep my content which i unlocked? (for instance weapons and gear in rainbow 6)

i want to know if i send my unit in and they give me a different console, or if i buy a new one, if i'll have to play through all of my games all over again to unlock crap (like skills in mass effect)

if i have to recover a gamertag does it keep my content which i unlocked? (for instance weapons and gear in rainbow 6)

i want to know if i send my unit in and they give me a different console, or if i buy a new one, if i'll have to play through all of my games all over again to unlock crap (like skills in mass effect)

depends on the game, but almost all content is saved on your hard drive, which you dont have to send into microsoft when you get your box repaired. so all you have to do is put your hard drive into the new box and it'll be just like you had it before

When you send it in they ask you to remove the hard drive. All your character stats/saves/unlocks and such are on your HDD. Also, if you decided to just buy a bigger HDD you can get a transfer cable and move all the data from your 20GB to your bigger drive and all that stuff is preserved.

Now, all the licences for the stuff you downloaded is attached to a console serial #, you can transfer all the licences over to a new console on the Xbox website, it's not too tough.

when i use the transfer cable, does the old xbox need to be turned on and working? i.e. will i be able to transfer my savegames etc from a console with the E74 error before it's fixed?

i'm leaning towards buying a new xbox, my licences are the most important, but getting my save games would be awesome

when i use the transfer cable, does the old xbox need to be turned on and working? i.e. will i be able to transfer my savegames etc from a console with the E74 error before it's fixed?

i'm leaning towards buying a new xbox, my licences are the most important, but getting my save games would be awesome

you can do the transfer on any box, all your doing is shifting the data from the old hdd to the new one, doesnt matter what box you use :)

that's good, i was afraid both xboxes had to be on in order to make the transfer

No, to do the transfer you need one working Xbox, the old HDD with all the data, the new HD, and the cable. Hook the HDD with all the data directly to the Xbox, one end of the cable plugs into the new HDD and the other into one of the Xbox's USB ports. Depending on how much data is on the drive it takes 30 mins - 90 mins, Mine only took about 39.

Lean whatever way you want but you might be discarding a new 360 in favor of buying a new one.

All a new 360 might get you is HDMI, larger HDD, and a brand new warrenty.

But your friend is going to have to get the 360, game and live account.

well i'm planning on pulling the trigger on the dell 60 gig. it's ~270 shipped, meaning after my friend's 150 i'll have spent about 12 to have a new xbox, new warranty, and bigger hdd. considering MS charges 100 bucks for a 60 gig hdd, i feel like it's not too terrible a deal.

i realize i could save my money by waiting, and i definately thank you guys for your advice, but to me, not waiting 2 months and having a friend who'll own an xbox when i get it back is worth the money to me.

i'm fine with giving him the live account, as long as my gamertag and my licenses follow me.

well i'm planning on pulling the trigger on the dell 60 gig. it's ~270 shipped, meaning after my friend's 150 i'll have spent about 12 to have a new xbox, new warranty, and bigger hdd. considering MS charges 100 bucks for a 60 gig hdd, i feel like it's not too terrible a deal.

i realize i could save my money by waiting, and i definately thank you guys for your advice, but to me, not waiting 2 months and having a friend who'll own an xbox when i get it back is worth the money to me.

i'm fine with giving him the live account, as long as my gamertag and my licenses follow me.

They won't. Your live account is tied to your gamertag. He'll have to make his own.

If you are buying a whole new Xbox it does not come with the cable to transfer you info over. The transfer cable only comes bundled with hard drives sold separately.

update: got my transfer cable today, i'm just a little confused though. i thought my xbox live account wouldn't transfer to my new console. or was that just the licenses that i had to transfer?

update: got my transfer cable today, i'm just a little confused though. i thought my xbox live account wouldn't transfer to my new console. or was that just the licenses that i had to transfer?

xbox live account will transfer. You can login to any account on any xbox. Transfer cable is for saved information like savegames and whatnot.

Back