Advice: 9800Pro AIW or 9800 Pro 128MB?

DeepFreeze

[H]ard|Gawd
Both are the same price. both brand new ATi brand cards full retail...my question is, this is my first ati card in 8 years.

Does the regular 9800 pro overclock better than the AIW 9800 Pro? from the same shipment to the store?

advice tonight would be most helpful...

I don't own either, but I think I read a post somewhere which states that the AIW's don't OC as well.

If they are the same price, I'd defianately go for the AIW version.

I'd rather have full TV tuner capabilities than a chance to get 5 more FPS.

Any more input? I mean dayum people. I see threads aboutthe craziest shit. I have a real question, can I get some help here.

I would get the regular pro, then if needed, buy a PCI tv-tuner card. The reg. pros have been known to overclock better than the AIWs, plus when you upgrade your card down the road, you won't lose the multimedia capabilities.

Originally posted by workingnonstop
I would get the regular pro, then if needed, buy a PCI tv-tuner card. The reg. pros have been known to overclock better than the AIWs, plus when you upgrade your card down the road, you won't lose the multimedia capabilities.

For him, they are both the same price.

The AIW will also have more resale value.

If they are the same price, and if they are both 128MB, then there really shouldn't be a question here IMHO.

Do you plan on using Dual Monitors or TV features? If the answer to one of these questions is Yes, then you'd have quite a clear answer, now wouldn't you?

my dilemma: I got a 9800 Pro 128MB AIW brand new retail for $235 AFTER tax...

I can also get the regular 9800 Pro 128MB for the same price. Overclocking isnt my main issue. as I only want to push the card 40MHz over stock and be happy.

Will the 9800 Pro 128MB AIW do this?

if so, ill keep the 9800 pro aiw i have purchased.

if with some idea it wont handle a 40mhz bump. someone tell me. I like the features and dont have another monitor right now to even worry about dual. even though dual is fun.

Did you get a good deal at Microcenter/Staples?

I think you can't use dual monitors with the AIW version (like xxaaqq said).

If you aren't using dual monitors, then stay with the AIW.

keep the AIW. whatever you heard about the AIW not being to oc very well is bs. i have a small fan blowing on the card from the side of my case and i've been able to achieve clocks of 425core and 378memory which is pretty good. its basically the exact same card with the extra AIW components and the. the AIW uses the same Samsung memory, and the heatsink/fan is the same as the one on the regular cards. If you can get the AIW for the same price, then your choice should be pretty obvious.

Back