Adventures in water cooling... (with pic of slime!)

tbooth

Weaksauce
I recently replaced my A64 3200+ with an Opteron 165 and while I was swapping CPUs I noticed that there was something visible in the top of my Cuplex XT block. Not wanting to mess with it at the time I just put in the new CPU and decided I would clean it out in a couple of weeks when I had time. During these two weeks I decided to add a couple of blocks (NB and GPU), completely replace all the tubing and maybe try some new mixture of coolant to put an end to what I suspected was algae.

I was using a mixture of distilled water and AC fluid in a loop that contained an Aquatube->Aquastream->EVO 240->Cuplex XT. This is the slime that was in the base of my Cuplex XT:

slime.jpg

Gross! :D Anyway, it cleaned up pretty easily and I continued planning out the plumbing to accomodate the new blocks. I got all the blocks mounted and began filling the aquatube with PC ICE (to replace the distilled water/AC fluid combo.) When the liquid hit the NB block a blue waterfall appeared.....sh*t a leak! I spent so much time getting the tubes and blocks mounted that I forgot to tighten the screws on the NB block :( . I tightened up the screws and stopped the leak, but not before my MB was covered in blue sticky liquid.

I gave the MB an alcohol bath and put the board on top of a heating vent to dry overnight and moved on to a longer leak test. After turning on the pump I noticed that the aquajet wasn't shooting water against the plexiglass like it used to in the old setup (there was a bubble of fluid on top of the aquajet). I had some major restriction somewhere, or the PC ICE was too thick. I was hoping that once the lines had been purged of air, the flow might pick up a bit....wrong.

The next morning there was no change, the flow hadn't changed at all, so I decided to remove what I perceived to be the major source of the restriction, the twinplex pro SLI type I block. After removing the block the flow still sucked, so I decided to drain the majority of the PC ICE and replace it with distilled water. After doing this the light on the pump controller kept turning to red and the pump no longer seemed to be working. So I drained the system and am now on AIR cooling, but at least the MB didn't die :(.

Did I try to run too much crap in one loop? Was PC ICE a bad choice to use with AC gear?

Clear PC Ice is ok from what I have read.. but the coloured stuff leaves you with a nice dye in your block... I would stay clear of it...

I think Dillusion got something silimar in this block and said it was because of PC ICE..(I think).. some of the solids fell out of solution and collected in the milled areas of his cpu block.. I think it was even a Cuplex also.. or maybe not.. but anyways, yeah, that PC ICE stuff is not the most problem free coolant.. to say the least.

I am still liking Pentosin as an anti-corrosive additive.

revenant said:
I think Dillusion got something silimar in this block and said it was because of PC ICE..(I think).. some of the solids fell out of solution and collected in the milled areas of his cpu block.. I think it was even a Cuplex also.. or maybe not.. but anyways, yeah, that PC ICE stuff is not the most problem free coolant.. to say the least.

I am still liking Pentosin as an anti-corrosive additive.

That is not from PCICE.

That is from running distilled water with the AC Fluid additive :eek: might not do so well a job then.

Erasmus354 said:
That is not from PCICE.

That is from running distilled water with the AC Fluid additive :eek: might not do so well a job then.

yeah.. I guess I was commenting more on 'round two there. So I take it you're not supposed to thin the AC stuff out with h2o? that stuff looks like the toy green slime you used to get called "green slime".. sort of a "blob" knock off monster substance. or snot works also. ;)

revenant said:
yeah.. I guess I was commenting more on 'round two there. So I take it you're not supposed to thin the AC stuff out with h2o? that stuff looks like the toy green slime you used to get called "green slime".. sort of a "blob" knock off monster substance. or snot works also. ;)

I like ectoplasm too. :)

ac fluid does not cause that slime. i have been using it for months without seeing anything like that. it looks like your blocks or res may have been dirty and the grime collected in the most restrictive part of the loop.

this is why you should always thoroughly clean every component you use in your loop. sometimes things do not get cleaned properly in the manufacturing process.

yeah - this thread got me thinking that maybe I should clean all my blocks when I next upgrade my video cards or crack my loop open... I wish you could see through the top of a maze4 gpu block! doh!

same exact thing happened when I was running AC gear with that same block. I also had ac fluid and distilled water.

I'd airbrush a picture of Slimer from Ghostbusters on the side of the case if I were you...

"That's one ugly spud, Peter." "I think he heard you, Ray"

BellaCroix said:
I'd airbrush a picture of Slimer from Ghostbusters on the side of the case if I were you...

Then again, he could put the pillsbury dough boy on top of his case.

Same thing happened to me with my AC setup. This was while i had a Cuplex Pro and AC fluid aswell. When i had Primochill Blue UV ice is a different story, that stuff is plain old shit.

BellaCroix said:

lol :D. Or at least make the outside of the case look like a giant ghost trap (filled of course).

Erasmus354 said:

Now how the hell would you know that? Maybe R1ckCa1n had it right...

Maybe it's the goo from the machining, there was a thread a while back. :p

A common problem in any jet impingement block is that things get caught in either the jets or the block. Did you check to see if your jets were clogged as well. That definitely isn't algae...kind off looks like the ooze that comes out of the lungs of septic smokers when we have them on a vent. :eek:

The best thing to do when filling your system is to clean everything with alcohol. Then using a fine lab filter, or a couple of coffee filters at the very least, filter the concoction that you put in your loop (tip from Cathar). This minimizes these kinds of problems. It has nothing to do with the AC Fluid additive if mixed properly.

Top Nurse said:
A common problem in any jet impingement block is that things get caught in either the jets or the block. Did you check to see if your jets were clogged as well. That definitely isn't algae...kind off looks like the ooze that comes out of the lungs of septic smokers when we have them on a vent. :eek:

The best thing to do when filling your system is to clean everything with alcohol. Then using a fine lab filter, or a couple of coffee filters at the very least, filter the concoction that you put in your loop (tip from Cathar). This minimizes these kinds of problems. It has nothing to do with the AC Fluid additive if mixed properly.

Jets weren't clogged, although there was some slime on the other side of the jets (I could see it through the clear top.) All of the parts in my loop, with the exception of the rad, were clean. There was also a bit of semi-dried slime on the top inside lip of my aquatube.

Off of the slime topic, any ideas what killed my pump (slime maybe ;))? I got it from Franz, so sending it in for any repair would probably cost too much to be worth it.

it's entirely possible the two (slime & pump death) are related. Did you take the pump apart and inspect the impeller and all that? I wonder if that pump had some industrial grease around where the impeller magnets are (in the impeller shaft) and the AC fluid was a mild solvent for that, so it was disolving it from the pump and it was collecting elsewhere.. I dunno.. I know most of these pumps are not supposed to have grease in the water exposed areas.. but just really streching my imagination here for possibilities...

tbooth said:
lol :D. Or at least make the outside of the case look like a giant ghost trap (filled of course).

OMG! That is SO my next mod... I'm thinking a Shuttle modded to look like a ghost trap. Duuuude... going to start the sketches tonight!

I have also had this happen with my cuplex block. I too cleaned all my blocks but not the radiator before filling the loop. I am thinking that it could be flux mixed with copper oxide created during the welding process of the radiator...

The easiest solution to the slime problem is to drain all the crap out that you can, refill with a 50/50 mixture of white vinegar and and distilled water. Run till all the air is purged and let stand. Run again till you can't see anymore slim stuck to anything (I let it stand for a hour and then run for a hour). Then drain fill and flush with fresh distilled water several times till the vinegar is gone. You'll end up with nice and clean loop, including tubes (normally) without taking it apart. You should have flushed all your new parts that way before you installed the system in the first place to prevent the problem from starting.

BellaCroix said:
OMG! That is SO my next mod... I'm thinking a Shuttle modded to look like a ghost trap. Duuuude... going to start the sketches tonight!

Nice! I'll keep an eye out for your worklog. :cool:

Bio-Hazard said:
You should have flushed all your new parts that way before you installed the system in the first place to prevent the problem from starting.

Shoulda, coulda, woulda.... DIDN'T

if you over mix the AC fluid you will get some thing like that in your loop. the pc ice problem has been fixed im running it right now all 64oz of it. and i have yet to see any floaters in any of my loops.

AC and the rads AC tests the rads in house or where ever so you will some time get parts that have liquid in them. it is up to you to clean them out before you use them.

I have ran AC fluid in my loop 2 times both time getting floaters and clogging. it was my fault for not mixing it right. i nolonger use it at all and i dont have any problems now

Back