Adventures in 2700X Overclocking

these are the speeds my 2700x reaches 4669mhz on most of the cores. I wonder if i have a golden chip?

He may have got that, but I kind of doubt it's at a voltage level most would like.

2700x_zpsnzpf5ygb.png
i'm running stock with all the XFR and Precision boost turned on and this thing cranks up the voltage at times at 1.488v max frequency a core will hit is 4688 my max temp hit 78c im using a cryorig c1
ram is 3200mhz CL14

Hmm yeah dunno. I suppose either a single threaded or multi-threaded cinebench R15 run would show how it stacks up.

Anything above 180-184 in the single threaded cinebench test would mean you have quite the golden chip there. Multicore you'd be looking for something north of 1900 points.

when playing pubg it sets all cores to 39.5. When iam at the desktop do random thing it wil start clocking some of the cores really high like up to 4.6ghz I'm really impressed and everything feels snappier than my 1600x

when playing pubg it sets all cores to 39.5. When iam at the desktop do random thing it wil start clocking some of the cores really high like up to 4.6ghz I'm really impressed and everything feels snappier than my 1600x

Damn, you need to get some real cooling on that chip! Wonder if it could sustain more than the average 4.3 ceiling that most reviews are getting?

[and 3.95 on eight cores in an SFF I presume is nothing to scoff at]

DuronBurgerMan Did you run the noctua HSF at full speed during the testing. There pretty quiet even at full speed.

Yes. It's quiet and I never saw temps go too high - that's a difference between this chip and the 1700X I was running before. The 1700X was thermally limited at 4GHz with my Noctua. This 2700X is limited by... something else.

It will boost anything except all 8 cores over 4ghz. At 8 core load it sits at 3.975. 2-4 core load gave me 4.2-4.25.

It can and does boost all 8 cores over 4GHz. I've seen 4100 *frequently* on all cores, and 4200 for short periods of time. But it downclocks to 3975 when running extremely heavy CPU hits like Cinebench or Intel Burn Test. See attachment for proof.

Attachments

• ryzenmaster.jpg
    ryzenmaster.jpg
    178.5 KB · Views: 0
Reactions: N4CR
like this
Yes. It's quiet and I never saw temps go too high - that's a difference between this chip and the 1700X I was running before. The 1700X was thermally limited at 4GHz with my Noctua. This 2700X is limited by... something else.

All evidence points to it being a deep architecture limitation- something for AMD to improve on.

All evidence points to it being a deep architecture limitation- something for AMD to improve on.

Seems that way. And this revision of Zen appears to have hit an absolute ceiling right around 4.3-4.4 GHz. Like, it doesn't even matter if you have a beefy cooler and crank the voltage. You need LN2 to exceed that, probably. Zen 2 will have to address this next year. AMD squeezed everything out of this design.

Hmm interesting. I really do want it to be true instead of a software error.

Not sure if you planned on overclocking, but if you are able to set 4.3ghz @ 1.4 vcore that is a promising start.

If not, that doesn't preclude the possibility that a few of your cores are capable of the clocks you've seen reported. It just means not all of them can hit that frequency.

I've never seen over 4350 boosting. Try using Ryzen Master - it will show you the "gold star" best performing core. Do some shit and watch the boost on that and see what it says.

Hmm interesting. I really do want it to be true instead of a software error.

Not sure if you planned on overclocking, but if you are able to set 4.3ghz @ 1.4 vcore that is a promising start.

If not, that doesn't preclude the possibility that a few of your cores are capable of the clocks you've seen reported. It just means not all of them can hit that frequency.

yes you are 100% correct . So based on the workload put on the cores they will hit 4.5 or 4.6ghz for a short period of time and then downclock. when i play a game seems to only hit 3.95 ghz on all cores and stays there

It can and does boost all 8 cores over 4GHz. I've seen 4100 *frequently* on all cores, and 4200 for short periods of time. But it downclocks to 3975 when running extremely heavy CPU hits like Cinebench or Intel Burn Test. See attachment for proof.

All cores at the same time? I don't think it can do all cores over 4ghz on its own unless you use overdrive as otherwise it draws over 105w. It would be cool if it could, though.

ok so i thinks something in the HWmonitor software i just tried ryzen master and its much more inline with hte specs. So in ryzen master the cores will hit 4.1 4.2 or 4.3 on the gold or silver core. i can hit 4.0 in all cores showing in ryzen master software

All cores at the same time? I don't think it can do all cores over 4ghz on its own unless you use overdrive as otherwise it draws over 105w. It would be cool if it could, though.

It absolutely does. See my attached screenshot up there. And overdrive isn't working right now - I don't think AMD enabled it yet. This is stock Precision Boost 2.

It may very well draw over 105w doing it, though. Some power benchmarks I've seen suggest this is really acting like a 125-140w CPU. But if you put it in a weaker motherboard with a weaker cooler, it'd probably act like a 105w CPU.

ok so i thinks something in the HWmonitor software i just tried ryzen master and its much more inline with hte specs. So in ryzen master the cores will hit 4.1 4.2 or 4.3 on the gold or silver core. i can hit 4.0 in all cores showing in ryzen master software

is your hwmon right up to date? seems its misreading...

Then it looks like you have a good chip, albeit a normal one.

Has anyone tried how the boost behaves with a slight undervolt?

Has anyone tried how the boost behaves with a slight undervolt?

You are thinking that AMD set voltage like they do on Radeons?

I'd like to see that tested too, though perhaps we'll need to see quite a few tests to get a gauge. If you're up for it (*I'm not), might try starting a 'Ryzen 2 Undervolting' thread to share methodology and collect results?

*[much as I'd like to have a 2700x on my doorstop to play with when I get off work tomorrow, I currently have no use for a fourth desktop- I already have four functioning laptops too!]

I don't why HWmonitor shows my DDR4 being 2400 its running at 1600m
Memory timings.PNG

i played a session of vermintide 2 which i had set to use 12 worker threads. The cpu ran mostly at 3925mhz temps were 68degrees

Okay so for the lulz I bought a 2700X and dropped it into my Asus Prime X370 Pro board today. This will document my settings and overclocking adventures in a series of posts. Note, I am running a Noctua U12 air cooler, so I imagine folks on water will do better.

First attempt: 42x multiplier, "Auto" CPU voltage. Boots. 4.2 GHz total.

Immediately booted without issue and loaded to Windows. Ran CPU-Z. Browsed around with Chrome. Cinebench crashed it, however. Upping voltage from baseline a hair.

I have a 2700X running on an X370 Tutanium. I keep getting thermal shutdowns when benchmarking or stress testing. The cpu temp will shoot up to 100 Celcius in cinebench 15 or Real Bench. I can not go above 3.8 GHZ when running cinebench 15 without the thermal shutdown. My Alphacool Eisbaer was ultracool before pooping in this cpu never going above 65 celcius under full load. My pump speed and fans on the cooler are working fine so I believe either the latest MSI Titaniujm bios is faulty in reading cpu sensors and thus causing shutdowns OR the cpu utself is faulty.

Back