Advent Children

I was frustrated last night too until I went to Wal-mart the 2nd time. BB, CC, Target, and and Gamestop all had none. Wal-mart had a bunch (big cardboard display) that was hidden next to the checkout lines. It was $1 cheaper than BB or CC too! Good luck finding it, it's a fun movie to watch! I enjoyed it immensely, but I love FF7. I beat it 3 times when I was in high school. One time with 3 sets of master materia. :D

ive seen it, im quite disapointed.
most of the male chars look like chicks and its just too much posing. i like the game more.

I went into Best Buy 3 weeks ago and there were some on the shelves. I thought "I'll get it later.." not paying attention to the date the flick was supposed to come out. Someone stuck them on the shelves early... and I just passed it by.

I wonder if the legit translation is better than the 3 fan subs I tried. Hopefully all the problems I had with the movie were from a poor translation and not from a shitty plot and writing :rolleyes:

I I dig litteral translations for my subs. The ones that are adapted usually suck, and don't sync with what they say since I speak a bit of the language.

Usually there is an option for deaf folks, those subs are different.

I wonder if the legit translation is better than the 3 fan subs I tried. Hopefully all the problems I had with the movie were from a poor translation and not from a shitty plot and writing

i doubt them changing their sentence structure will help the movie at all...

and if you have a sam goody in the area, the one near me had every single copy still on the shelves

But it is purdy. So if you like to look at purdy CG, get it.

check today. I know my local bestbuys sold out the first day, but quickly got more back the next. Picked mine up

I watched it last night. I tried to watch a japanese import in Xvid format when it came out over there, but the encoding was so awful and the subtitles so ridiculously bad, I just couldn't get more than half an hour into it.

The US release DVD version looks very good, not up to the same level as Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within, but still very good. The US voice acting is pretty decent, though I wish they had gotten the original voice actors from the game. Overall for the plot: a little too angsty, they shoved a little bit of Squall into Cloud it seems, it moves pretty slow to start, and if you never played the game, you probably won't really understand a lot of what is happening for be able to connect with the characters. The second half has way too much action and not enough plot, it is just CGI show-offy-ness though the ending is sort of touching if bizarre, and the CGI action scenes do admittedly look good.

If your a huge fan, it's worth owning, if not and you enjoyed the game, it's worth a rental.

NulloModo said:
I watched it last night. I tried to watch a japanese import in Xvid format when it came out over there, but the encoding was so awful and the subtitles so ridiculously bad, I just couldn't get more than half an hour into it.

The US release DVD version looks very good, not up to the same level as Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within, but still very good. The US voice acting is pretty decent, though I wish they had gotten the original voice actors from the game. Overall for the plot: a little too angsty, they shoved a little bit of Squall into Cloud it seems, it moves pretty slow to start, and if you never played the game, you probably won't really understand a lot of what is happening for be able to connect with the characters. The second half has way too much action and not enough plot, it is just CGI show-offy-ness though the ending is sort of touching if bizarre, and the CGI action scenes do admittedly look good.

If your a huge fan, it's worth owning, if not and you enjoyed the game, it's worth a rental.

Umm, Final Fantasy VII didn't have voice acting? :confused:

spydermonkey said:
Umm, Final Fantasy VII didn't have voice acting? :confused:

Really? Hmmm, wow, well, it's been so many years since I played that game I guess the voices I imagined somehow came across as real eventually ;).

Does the US DVD release version by chance have some official subtitles? I have no desire at all to watch it dubbed, but as previous posters have mentioned there were a bunch of inaccuracies in the fansubs.

Xaeos said:
Does the US DVD release version by chance have some official subtitles? I have no desire at all to watch it dubbed, but as previous posters have mentioned there were a bunch of inaccuracies in the fansubs.

The US Dub doesn't line up exactly with the subtitles... what that means, I'm not sure. The US voice acting is a lot better than the Japanese though in this case...

NulloModo said:
The US Dub doesn't line up exactly with the subtitles... what that means, I'm not sure. The US voice acting is a lot better than the Japanese though in this case...

I noticed that too, probably means that it's a literal translation from Japanese.

NulloModo said:
Really? Hmmm, wow, well, it's been so many years since I played that game I guess the voices I imagined somehow came across as real eventually ;).

So do you hear voices when you're on the train, at work, eating dinner??? :D

phoderpants said:
So do you hear voices when you're on the train, at work, eating dinner??? :D

Nah, only when I'm laying in bed about to fall asleep.

NulloModo said:
lmfao

But the English voice actor for Cloud is actually the same one from Kingdom Hearts... so he does it well.

The only English actors in Advent Children that leave something to be desired are the short-haired partner of Kadaj and Reno.

Otherwise, it's a pretty good job.

I finally got Advent Children in my hands and I've watched it until the opening credits. Absolutely amazing. It brought a tear to my eye when the story is briefly recapped. Can't wait to get through the whole thing.

i went to a bunch of stores in cincinnati and noone had it. i went to gamestop and asked and the lady laughed and said "dude you shoulda pre-ordered it, youre never gonna get it!" i went next door to walmart and they had at least 20 copies.

i liked the movie, but it wasn't as good as it could have been. the acting sucked pretty much, but i am a FF7 whore so my biased ass LOVED it! ive only watched it once so far, but im planning on watching it AT LEAST 20 times this month. im gonna run through FF7 too since i havent played it in a couple years.

watching the movie broght back a nostalgia tho, reminded me of my the good ole days....

I liked the movie, but it really is for fans of the game. The plot was pretty thin and non existent, but it was ff7, so I loved it. :D

^^^ agreed. I finally watched the thing and, while the animation was absolutely amazing, the story really was pretty thin. I was a little unhappy with it, but just to see the characters again in something new was quite pleasing.

phoderpants said:
^^^ agreed. I finally watched the thing and, while the animation was absolutely amazing, the story really was pretty thin. I was a little unhappy with it, but just to see the characters again in something new was quite pleasing.

That is something that has sort of baffled me. Square can weave such amazing stories into the games (FFVII, FFIX, FFVI), but both of the movies have had sort of lackluster plots (The Spirits Within had a stronger one than Advent Children, but neither was particularly strong). You'd think that if the writers can pull such great feats in the games, they could do it on the screen as well.

NulloModo said:
That is something that has sort of baffled me. Square can weave such amazing stories into the games (FFVII, FFIX, FFVI), but both of the movies have had sort of lackluster plots (The Spirits Within had a stronger one than Advent Children, but neither was particularly strong). You'd think that if the writers can pull such great feats in the games, they could do it on the screen as well.

Probably due to time constraints while making a movie. All the ff games are long and the story is told over many hours, while a movie needs to be like 90 minutes.

thats true, a game develops very slowly, especially RPGs such as FF games, the reason we are tied into the game while we wait for the story and plot to build is because we have action, scenes and abilities to develop

comparing the ability to make games and movies is like comparing a sea to a lake, two totally different things with some of the same attributes as each other

I just watched it... it was pretty bad. I played FFVII and know the story behind it, but the plot in this movie was very weak. It really didn't hold my interest. If the animation wasn't so good there would be absolutely no reason to watch it.

Flow said:
ive seen it, im quite disapointed.
most of the male chars look like chicks and its just too much posing. i like the game more.

It's japanese, that's why. I love it =)

Flow said:
I've seen it, I'm quite disapointed.
Most of the male chars look like chicks and its just too much posing. I like the game more.

Didn't you hear? It is Japanese law that all lead male FF characters must be effiminate whiney emo brats. This law also applies to things like Gundam series.

While I played FF7 way back when I was never a big fan. This movie was made because Squeenix knows FF7 are fanatical and will buy anything related to the game. I would give it a 3/5. Some of the fights seems like they would be more at home in DBZ. Some purdy CGI here and there though.

dotK said:
I just watched it... it was pretty bad. I played FFVII and know the story behind it, but the plot in this movie was very weak. It really didn't hold my interest. If the animation wasn't so good there would be absolutely no reason to watch it.

I will admit, I might have shed a tear with all of the Aerith refernces, but yeah, is could have been a lot better. I just get the feeling that square had a circle jerk over the bahamut scene and didn't bother to fill in the rest.

I saw about half of it a few months ago - I didn't know that Cloud could fly!

Honestly, I thought it was kind of crappy.

Sephiros said:
Well... he can't fly...
but the others can throw him up high :eek:

heh, ok, I didn't know that a 5'2" 90lb girl could throw a 200 lb former soldier 700 feet in the air :p

well... she can also summon something that shoots lazers out of its mouth as well... not like they care how realistic it is

the bahamut scene was cool, until they did the coordinated "toss cloud into the air" scene, that was way too gay

Trimlock said:
well... she can also summon something that shoots lazers out of its mouth as well... not like they care how realistic it is

the bahamut scene was cool, until they did the coordinated "toss cloud into the air" scene, that was way too gay

Agreed

Trimlock said:

yeah, that really killed it for me too.

Slartibartfast said:
yeah, that really killed it for me too.

I liked that part actually. It reminded me of the Chrono games (where you can combine for combos in the battles).

Back