Advanced Remote Desktop??

Notquiteanewbie

Limp Gawd
Is it possible to remote desktop to another computer without the remote computer changing its screen display to "this computer is in use...."? (under win xp)

I do not want to affect what is being displayed on the remote computer since it is used for advertising.

No, not with the built in remote desktop. But if you use a program like TightVNC, then you will be able to access the computer remotely without logging out the local user. With TightVNC, you see whatever is on the display of the remote computer, so depending on what you are doing with it you may still interrupt the advertising.

or you must purchase windows server 2000/2003. use RDP and you can have multiple people connecting to the one server/computer.

Now, how do we remotely monitor the users session with RDP. In account properties in AD you can set the options to not require users permission to monitor a session but when you try connecting to their machine it forcefully logs them out.

Notquiteanewbie said:
Is it possible to remote desktop to another computer without the remote computer changing its screen display to "this computer is in use...."?
Yes, by default Win2k server and Win2k3 server create a new session when you connect.
Notquiteanewbie said:
(under win xp)
Nope. XP only allows a single session, so when you connect it redirects the console session (or the previous remote session).

Notquiteanewbie said:
I do not want to affect what is being displayed on the remote computer since it is used for advertising.
If you give some more details as to what you are trying to do on the system, perhaps there's another way to do it.

We have to use pcanywhere at work because of this. It's hella expensive though, so my suggestion would be vnc.

S1nF1xx said:
We have to use pcanywhere at work because of this. It's hella expensive though, so my suggestion would be vnc.

I thought those just allowed you to interact with the existing desktop session, which doesn't help the person asking. If we knew more about what he needs to do though, there are probably other options.

mjz_5 said:
or you must purchase windows server 2000/2003. use RDP and you can have multiple people connecting to the one server/computer.

To expand on this, you may be able to use 2003 web server edition as it allows for one console and 2 concurrent rdp sessions.

2003 Web server edition would cost less than 2003 STD.

vnc doesn't always work that well for some apps when the remote user is trying to interact with the screen. For instance, if I vnc to another machine, and try and show the user how to do something in AutoCAD, it doesn't work so well. The redraw doesn't always happen correctly (and leaves artifacts behind). Also, I have see the the background of an item not change color when you mouse over something in drop-down boxes.

[MS] said:
I thought those just allowed you to interact with the existing desktop session, which doesn't help the person asking. If we knew more about what he needs to do though, there are probably other options.

Ahh, I read it wrong. I thought he just meant that he didn't want them locked out. Oops.

Yeah, these won't work as they interact with the existing session, just as you said. :)

My needs:

Remote connect to a computer whose display is a series of plasmas.
I would like the display to turn off when connected allowing me to work without being seen.

Upon logging out I would like the display to go back to normal.

Changing operating systems is not an option. We are using XP Professional for those computers.

http://sig9.com/articles/concurrent-remote-desktop

This article looks interesting I will take a closer look and report back on my results

There we go... The link got noticed... :). I use it and it works :)
Notquiteanewbie said:
My needs:

Remote connect to a computer whose display is a series of plasmas.
I would like the display to turn off when connected allowing me to work without being seen.

Upon logging out I would like the display to go back to normal.

Changing operating systems is not an option. We are using XP Professional for those computers.

http://sig9.com/articles/concurrent-remote-desktop

This article looks interesting I will take a closer look and report back on my results

ne1wantaride said:
There we go... The link got noticed... :). I use it and it works :)
You have also specifically made your system more vulnerable to network attack.

Replacing system files with unreleased versions may prevent the installation of security patches that deal with that file. Since it's not secure, it's not something I would recommend.

Also note, replacing a system file with something downloaded off the net is a bad move. Do you know for absolute certain that the file hasn't been modified? Does it still have a valid signature?

ne1wantaride said:
Version 5.1.2600.2055 (xpsp_sp2_beta1.031215-1745)
Signed Microsoft Corporation

Good, if the signature and cert chain are good, there there shouldn't be any tampering.

However, you are quite likely vulnerable to at least one of the known (and fixed) vulnerabilities that were discovered since SP2 was released last year.

What kind of work are you trying to do? If it's something that can be done from the command line, you could install part of the Cygwin package, which includes a remote SSH server, and then SSH into the box, giving you a command prompt to "manage" that box.

Microsoft's "Services for Unix" may also provide a SSH server, but I'm not sure.

Jeff McWilliams

well the computer is displaying flash advertisements on the plasma screens. i just wanna be able to update the flash files without being seen.

Back