Adult 6970 discussion Thread

Its 9PM PST TONIGHT. It releases 12:01 AM on the 15th :)
That means Newegg won't put them up until much later in the morning.
And if the prices are as good as the Fudzilla article hints at, that gives us... 2 days before Newegg adds +$50 to their price. Cool beans.

Last edited:
I expect these cards will sell like hot cakes? Who else believes!?

Majority of people spent money on their shiny new 570's and 580's along with presents for Christmas. If some people have money left over then they will probably sell pretty well, doubt it'll go sold out.

Majority of people spent money on their shiny new 570's and 580's along with presents for Christmas. If some people have money left over then they will probably sell pretty well, doubt it'll go sold out.
Possible.
Anyone who bought a 580 or 570 already probably wasn't interested in a 6900 to begin with.

Past trends as any indicators, yes the cards will sell out.
Yes the prices will go up.

Past trends as any indicators, yes the cards will sell out.

We'll see, I just get the feeling there's more than enough stock to go around this time around vs. the 5800's. I remember they always sold out because there were so few in stock at times.

We'll see, I just get the feeling there's more than enough stock to go around this time around vs. the 5800's. I remember they always sold out because there were so few in stock at times.
There were a lot of rumors about some Texas Instruments part shortage a few weeks ago.
And more recently, ATI cutting 6950 production to make more 6970's.

Depending on how that plays out, there will be a product shortage again. Not necessarily indicative of 6900 demand, but rather their inability to produce enough.

There's always an initial shortage. Too much pent up demand means the initial shipment of cards will sell out quickly. How long it takes to re-stock/reach steady-state is the bigger question, since we still aren't there on the 580.

That means Newegg won't put them up until much later in the morning.
And if the prices are as good as the Fudzilla article hints at, that gives us... 2 days before Newegg adds +$50 to their price. Cool beans.

Egg throws up sales all the time in the middle of the night, they may very well throw these up early since they know people are waiting for them.

did anyone post about the sa news?

"What does it do? Easy enough, it swaps the shader count. The 'normal' count is 1920 for a 205W 6970 card, and the switch opens up the full force of all 2520 shaders. The reason this switch is set to 'low' is that between the clock speed advances, 730MHz/1920 shaders to 920MHz/2520 shaders, it blows the card through the 300W cap for PCIe cards."

http://www.semiaccurate.com/2010/12/13/secret-amd-6900s-second-switch/

That article is a joke, as far as I know.
Same as the switch article.

edit;
It's the same article. It's a joke. :p

The MSI 6970 is being listed at ~4800SEK which would indicate a price in the US at around $480 (using magic divide-by-10 math. Price includes 25%VAT and the exchange rate is $1=6.8SEK). At 4800SEK it's about 5% more expensive than the MSI 580, currently listing around 4600SEK. If AMD is competing with the 470 this listing is way off, considering an MSI 470 can be had for half, or ~2400SEK.

Impossible? I haven't been following graphics card pricing in a long while.

did anyone post about the sa news?

"What does it do? Easy enough, it swaps the shader count. The 'normal' count is 1920 for a 205W 6970 card, and the switch opens up the full force of all 2520 shaders. The reason this switch is set to 'low' is that between the clock speed advances, 730MHz/1920 shaders to 920MHz/2520 shaders, it blows the card through the 300W cap for PCIe cards."

http://www.semiaccurate.com/2010/12/13/secret-amd-6900s-second-switch/

Yeah this one is a joke. Don't worry about it, think someone saw to many "preview spoilers" and couldn't help himself.

You guys realize that he states it's a joke in the actual article, right?

Editor's note: This article heavily uses the new HTML6.2 <sarcasm> and <bullshit> tags. If your browser does not support them, please upgrade to a version that does. Thank you.

You guys realize that he states it's a joke in the actual article, right?

I thought the article was his usual bullshit and the joke was about the Max's favorite flavor card being cherry with licorice stripes.
Now I see the styrofoam was supposed to be the actual second switch and not just hiding it from view.
That's what I get for reading articles at 1 AM. I assumed he meant 2.5 mm instead of inches. We all know what happens when you assume.

There hasn't been jack shit in the way of evidence one way or the other. EVERYTHING is basically wishful thinking at this point. You wishfully think it will be slower, I wishfully think it will be faster.

It wasn't wishful thinking that it would be slower, it was obvious which leaks were real and like the first time I said this before it became obvious, AMD is simply not in the game of committing the resources to win the top GPU crown. The very first leaks showing a 256 bit memory bus revealed that AMD had not changed their price/performance strategy, to keep letting NVidia win the performance crown.

I'll predict right now that GTX 680 (unless it is just a renamed GTX 580) will beat HD 7900, simply because NVidia will go all out and AMD won't.

6990 will take the crown back. NVidia will not be able to successfully place 2 530mm^2 chips on a card and keep that thing reasonable in price or power consumption.

Antilles will be most likely 2 6950 chips, and will stay within a 300W power envelope.

The MSI 6970 is being listed at ~4800SEK which would indicate a price in the US at around $480 (using magic divide-by-10 math. Price includes 25%VAT and the exchange rate is $1=6.8SEK). At 4800SEK it's about 5% more expensive than the MSI 580, currently listing around 4600SEK. If AMD is competing with the 470 this listing is way off, considering an MSI 470 can be had for half, or ~2400SEK.

Impossible? I haven't been following graphics card pricing in a long while.

old price.
new is way lower.
3400sek.
340us then.

Beats the price/performance ratio a lot ;)

I really wish amd did away with dvi ports on the video cards.

They would have much more exhaust area if they went with 3 DP and 1 hdmi port instead of how it is now

It wasn't wishful thinking that it would be slower, it was obvious which leaks were real and like the first time I said this before it became obvious, AMD is simply not in the game of committing the resources to win the top GPU crown. The very first leaks showing a 256 bit memory bus revealed that AMD had not changed their price/performance strategy, to keep letting NVidia win the performance crown.

I'll predict right now that GTX 680 (unless it is just a renamed GTX 580) will beat HD 7900, simply because NVidia will go all out and AMD won't.

10% average difference doesn't mean jack shit I have a gtx 480 will probably pick up a 6970 when the drivers mature a little. Just look at the price and the performance. just to make a bigger die that will cost the consumer more and make the card run hotter for 10% more performance and overall reduce yield is not a very smart marketing strategy. I am sure if ATI would have slapped 1920 shaders on it it would have blows the gates off the gtx 580 but guess what they didn't. Probably a smart choice, that probably would have increased the cost, low yields. Just wait until 28nm comes out I am sure AMD will give you more then twice the performance of this card.

10% average difference doesn't mean jack shit I have a gtx 480 will probably pick up a 6970 when the drivers mature a little. Just look at the price and the performance. just to make a bigger die that will cost the consumer more and make the card run hotter for 10% more performance and overall reduce yield is not a very smart marketing strategy. I am sure if ATI would have slapped 1920 shaders on it it would have blows the gates off the gtx 580 but guess what they didn't. Probably a smart choice, that probably would have increased the cost, low yields. Just wait until 28nm comes out I am sure AMD will give you more then twice the performance of this card.

The real question is , what happens if there is no 28nm in 2011 ?

With a 530mm2 die what will nvidia do ?

AMD still have a 140mm2 in which to make performance increases if 32/28 is delayed

Yeah, I can see this getting ugly with no 28nm possibly until 2012. I hope that there is at least a slight price war when new years is over but after that we might be stuck with these cards for a year and a bit:(

The real question is , what happens if there is no 28nm in 2011 ?

With a 530mm2 die what will nvidia do ?

AMD still have a 140mm2 in which to make performance increases if 32/28 is delayed

Well that would have been my other point. AMD is still in a position to probably even put 2500 shaders on the damn thing. Proabably still match the TDP of gtx 580 and the die size. I honestly think that AMD will stick with the 6990 for the highend and will probably have two 6950 cores and that should keep them afloat. I doubt they will release anythign as a single gpu highend part until 28nm hits. They will probably sell the hd 6990 for 500 bucks and drop the 6970 below 350 and call it a day. 32 is already canceled. 6970 was suppose to be on 32nm I think that is why AMD cut the shader count because they had to stay on 40nm

If fall is coming and amd knows there wont be 32/28nm chips before qtr 2 of 2012 i bet they will copy and paste the sections of the chip that lends it self to that , They have alot of die space to spare compared to nvidia.

Most of the big gpu foundries are skipping 32nm entirely and going straight to 28nm. So to compensate for the mediocre gains that Fermi and Cayman have made, that next gen of video cards should be scorching fast in comparison. I wouldn't be surprised to see the first outright doubling up in performance that hasn't happened for a long time now. The real question is - Will they play Crysis? *g* If Nvidia has their way rumored, yes they will, and AA on Crysis 2 will only work with the green team cards!

So, how much of an upgrade would I be looking at from a GTX 280 to an HD 6950/6970 at 1920x1200 on games like Empire/Napoleon Total War?

So, how much of an upgrade would I be looking at from a GTX 280 to an HD 6950/6970 at 1920x1200 on games like Empire/Napoleon Total War?

The 6950/6970 are at least double the performance of the 280, based on the AMD slides that compared them to the GTX 285.

The interesting part is often before launch Kyle or Brent will drop some comment about performance or new cards before the NDA breaks. Neither have even posted if they have the cards. Along with as much disinformation and conflicting reports on the cards, I think AMD is playing their cards very close to their chest this launch. Most likely not wanting to give time for Nvidia to adjust pricing right before launch like they did with Barts.

I was just too busy testing to read or post in the forum :eek:

6990 will take the crown back. NVidia will not be able to successfully place 2 530mm^2 chips on a card and keep that thing reasonable in price or power consumption.

Antilles will be most likely 2 6950 chips, and will stay within a 300W power envelope.

Are you really betting against Nvidia? Remember many people believed they couldn't squeeze anymore out of the Fermi design. Then along comes the big bad 580. Whoops!

Are you really betting against Nvidia? Remember many people believed they couldn't squeeze anymore out of the Fermi design. Then along comes the big bad 580. Whoops!

uhhh... nVidia has stated the GF100 came with 512 SP, they couldn't get yields high enough or whatever, and as a result, they disabled one for QA and launched the GTX480. We already know what GF100 (aka, GF110) could do. Almost all of it's preformance gains are from the 32 unlocked shaders and higher clock speeds. The Full FP16 thing hasn't done much, so far.

And if you think that is wierd, every PS3 comes with a Cell CPU with 8 SPE, only one is disabled on every chip, for a total of 7SPE (has to do with launch yield rates). By now, Sony might of done away with the disabled SPE on the Slim, but I doubt so.

If fall is coming and amd knows there wont be 32/28nm chips before qtr 2 of 2012 i bet they will copy and paste the sections of the chip that lends it self to that , They have alot of die space to spare compared to nvidia.

apu.roadmap.jpg

APU is the future guyzzzzz. Just hold your $ and wait lol

Last edited:
Yeah, I can see this getting ugly with no 28nm possibly until 2012. I hope that there is at least a slight price war when new years is over but after that we might be stuck with these cards for a year and a bit:(

Exactly the reason I just bought a 6970. I have no faith in TSMC, and their ability to bring a working 28nm process out this year. I don't see any major refreshes. NVidia really has no room to go bigger with it's GPUs, AMD is bringing out the 6990 soon in January(maybe) for the halo card. It's possible, I suppose, AMD might release a tweaked 6970, but no major overhaul.

I just have this vision of a bunch of GPU process engineers twiddling their thumbs, waiting for each batch of 28nm test wafers from TSMC, scrambling to make changes/updates, and repeating the whole thing until they get a workable mid/low end GPU to use as a pipecleaner 4Q11/1Q12.

14nm.
Didn't even think that was physically possible. Picometers here we come.

WHat you mean along comes the original fermi that should have launched a year ago ?

The 580 is just a 480 with all its units working. Something nvidia wasn't able to do.

How much of an upgrade would it be to go from a XFX 5870 XXX edition to the 6970?

Back