ADSL Speed Problem

jtg1993

Gawd
I live In Canada with shitty internet (i live in the country), so i have the 2nd best package is can get from my isp (4Mb/700Kb). But every year it just has to get screwed up. My friend has the same package (lives 20 minutes away) and gets 4.7Mb/715Kb with the same router model and version (WRT54G V5). I did 2 tests, 1 from my server (Lan) and then 1 from my laptop (Wifi) with no torrents, i ended up closing utorrent.
Server:
279115772.png

Laptop:
279115540.png

Thats pretty lame considering im paying $50 per month for 4Mb/700Kb.

So I ended up calling my isp (MTS) and they came out and checked my line and they said its fine so i moved the modem to a different line in the house (same #) still about the same speeds.

I also noticed i get over 2Mb/s in torrents (250+KB/s) which would mean the http is capped or something, i tired a different dns still the same i tried alot of things still to same.

So i was lookin on my isp's site and the offer a Business Package with unlimited bandwith, 7Mb/s, static ip, its the same per month but $150 to install, so if i upgrade to that and it screws up again, could i complain? And tell them im trying to run a website and stuff but since it keeps screwing up i lose people visiting and its such a hassle. Plus since the package would be for business's they would have to treat me good, make sure its running perfect and stuff.

So should i get the business? If its still horrible complain to them that im a business and i need it to be running top notch for my website.

What kind of DSL modem do you have? Any way you can look at it's status page to see what your connection is trained to? When I had DSL, sometimes my line would retrain to a lower speed than the 3Mbps I was supposed to be getting. I was pretty much maxing out what my phone line was capable of.

What kind of DSL modem do you have? Any way you can look at it's status page to see what your connection is trained to? When I had DSL, sometimes my line would retrain to a lower speed than the 3Mbps I was supposed to be getting. I was pretty much maxing out what my phone line was capable of.

I have a Speedstream 4200 (with web config), i have also tried 2x Speedstream 5360's (without web config). I just cant access the modem web config because its in gateway mode (my router does the pppoe and the port forward or else port forward wont work).

Are your lines pretty clean in the house? Excess amounts of wire and phone plugs can cause interference and line degredation.

Also those speeds I would LOVE and I am not even that far into the "country". I live between two good sized towns and get capped at 512/128 because of my distance from the CO :(

I am happy though that I can get that, and you should be happy as well. At least you arent stuck with Satellite where you cannot even game! I am thankful for my 512k cause it still lets me play online without issue (as long as others in the house are easy on the internet while I am online :p)

Use a decent way of measuring speed.
Speedtest.net tells me my line is half the speed it does run at.

This the best test site I have found but it may not be as good for you, I am in the UK.
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest.html
It tells me the max speeds I can achieve correctly.

Alternatively, download a linux ISO using a torrent.
That should max your connection.

Are your lines pretty clean in the house? Excess amounts of wire and phone plugs can cause interference and line degredation.

Also those speeds I would LOVE and I am not even that far into the "country". I live between two good sized towns and get capped at 512/128 because of my distance from the CO :(

I am happy though that I can get that, and you should be happy as well. At least you arent stuck with Satellite where you cannot even game! I am thankful for my 512k cause it still lets me play online without issue (as long as others in the house are easy on the internet while I am online :p)

The lines in the house look brand new, no excess amounts, only 2 jacks in the whole 1300sq ft house, 1 for modem and 1 for dual handset cordless phones, the one for the cordless phones are right above the phone line into the house and then the other for the modem isnt much further away. EDIT: I forgot to add that the local telephone exchange is like .5 km away.

Use a decent way of measuring speed.
Speedtest.net tells me my line is half the speed it does run at.

This the best test site I have found but it may not be as good for you, I am in the UK.
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest.html
It tells me the max speeds I can achieve correctly.

Alternatively, download a linux ISO using a torrent.
That should max your connection.

The 250KB/s was downloading Debian DVD Disc 1 and Disc 2. But i know that aint the max because i have had 330KB/s a few days ago with the max download set to 400KB/s in utorrent. I also just tried the thinkbroadband and i got .3Mb/s down and .3Mb/s upload.

Its not looking good for you.
Can you try it with a direct conenction to your router?
How far are you from the exchange?

Its not looking good for you.
Can you try it with a direct conenction to your router?
How far are you from the exchange?

What do you mean by direct connection? The exchange is about .5Km away, i can almost see the driveway that is at the telephone exchange building from the end of my driveway.

Remember the exchange probably does not run wires directly to you though, and it is the distance in wires, not as the crow flies.

What do you mean by direct connection? The exchange is about .5Km away, i can almost see the driveway that is at the telephone exchange building from the end of my driveway.

Sorry, I see you have tried LAN and Wifi already.
I would expect nearer your rated speed being that close to the exchange though, even if the wiring goes round the houses a bit.

1) Turn off wireless and try a wired LAN connection to see if it improves.
2) Try connecting your router directly into the houses phone incoming socket with nothing else connected.
It may be necessary to remove the incoming sockets faceplate to disconnect some of the wiring, it is like that in the UK, not sure about the US.
Other devices and a long telephone wire can interfere with the modems signal even if using microfilters.
3) Check to see if your modem has a firmware update.
4) Try a different modem in case yours has a problem.

Failing the above, arm yourself with as much evidence that can be presented to your ISP and prove to them its not possible to achieve the speed package they have sold you despite being very close to the exchange.

Back