Adrenalin 22.11.2 installation issues

NukeULater

Gawd
Solution, Windows issue... Got it sorted out. It ended up being the administrator privileges settings were screwed up and had to be forced through an elevated command prompt. Once that was done the new files were able to be written and the installation functioned as normal.

As the title states I'm having difficulty installing the newest adrenalin 22.11.2 software on my system. The rig is running a Vega frontier edition and Windows LTSB 1809. The former drivers were 20.1.4 and for some reason wouldn't auto update. I did the typical uninstall of the adrenalin software and then followed up with a safemode reboot and DDU run to remove the driver. For some reason C:program Files\AMD remained after the uninstall.

Once booted back into windows, 22.11.2 installs the driver yet hangs on the adrenalin software. The error 1603 pops up. I followed everything on the support page with no avail.
https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/gpu-kb1603 The support log comes up with these three errors.

2023-02-08::12:06:28::909 SummarizeInstallFailures :1816 AMD Settings W-10-0U01-000-002-192-001-00-25 failed with error code: 1310 The group may not be disabled.
2023-02-08::12:06:28::909 SummarizeInstallFailures :1816 AMD DVR64 W-06-1U01-000-002-218-001-00-25 failed with error code: 1310 The group may not be disabled.
2023-02-08::12:06:28::909 SummarizeInstallFailures :1816 AMD WVR64 W-10-0U01-000-002-227-001-00-25 failed with error code: 1310 The group may not be disabled.

After looking into it a bit more, it seems like the installer cannot access C:program Files\AMD to write the files it needs. I went through and checked the permissions and everything appears normal. I forced admin access with command prompt, yet still errors pop up while trying to access both CNext and OpenVR.

I'm not really sure where to go from here. The old software brings up the same errors while trying to revert back to it. Does anyone have an idea of how to fix this?

download the actual newest drivers and then download DDU. run DDU, reboot and install the new drivers
oh... LTSB... the newest drivers need newer windows than that. go back further on the drivers, something from 2019 or get on to a current version of windows.

22.11.2 is the latest driver for a vega based card and is compatable with LTSB build 1809. I tried installed the drivers/adrenalin that I had been using (Version 20.1.4) and that install fails and brings up the same errors. The driver isn't the problem, it's the adrenalin software itself that's not installing correctly.

From AMD's site:

Compatible Operating Systems​

AMD Software: Adrenalin Edition 22.11.2 is designed to support the following Microsoft® Windows® platforms. Operating System support may vary depending on your specific AMD Radeon product.
  • Windows 11 version 21H2 and later
  • Windows 10 64-bit version 1809 and later

22.11.2 is the latest driver for a vega based card and is compatable with LTSB build 1809. I tried installed the drivers/adrenalin that I had been using (Version 20.1.4) and that install fails and brings up the same errors. The driver isn't the problem, it's the adrenalin software itself that's not installing correctly.

From AMD's site:
ah, it was the w11 confusing me, i thought the 21h2 thing applied to w10 too.
you got any 3rd party a/v running? somethings interfering with it...
tried deleting the amd folder? ddu will(should) turf it if left on default settings.
if you can get by without the software, you could always try pointing device manager to the files.

I have run into immortal folders before, and there are a couple of things you can try to get rid of it.

1) Run from a command prompt CHKDSK C: /F as an Administrator (this will prompt a reboot) in case the file system has it locked due to a file system error. After the reboot, try and delete it the usual way.

2) If that fails, try to manually remove the folder in Safe Mode and reboot

3) If THAT fails, use Microsoft's Media Creation tool to make new Windows install media on a USB drive, boot from it, select REPAIR My Windows Installation from the menu, go to Troubleshoot/Command Prompt and try typing DEL "c:\Program Files\AMD" and see if that gets rid of it (yes, include the quotes). Reboot.

you got any 3rd party a/v running? somethings interfering with it...
tried deleting the amd folder? ddu will(should) turf it if left on default settings.
if you can get by without the software, you could always try pointing device manager to the files.
No antivirus here other than the built in stuff from microsoft.
DDU hasn't been able to remove the folders. There's a multitude of errors that come up while looking at the log. They all pertain to the remnants of the AMD folder.

I have run into immortal folders before, and there are a couple of things you can try to get rid of it.

1) Run from a command prompt CHKDSK C: /F as an Administrator (this will prompt a reboot) in case the file system has it locked due to a file system error. After the reboot, try and delete it the usual way.

2) If that fails, try to manually remove the folder in Safe Mode and reboot

3) If THAT fails, use Microsoft's Media Creation tool to make new Windows install media on a USB drive, boot from it, select REPAIR My Windows Installation from the menu, go to Troubleshoot/Command Prompt and try typing DEL "c:\Program Files\AMD" and see if that gets rid of it (yes, include the quotes). Reboot.
Hmm... I tried the first two already with no effect. Figured I would give the third option a try since I found my usb LTSB boot drive... Nothing. The folders are somehow still there.

I'm stumped. Greatly appreciate the help though.

Got it sorted out. It ended up being the administrator privileges settings were screwed up and had to be forced through an elevated command prompt. Once that was done the new files were able to be written and the installation functioned as normal.

Back