AdoredTV Discusses the Recent AMD Ryzen and Radeon 3000 Series Leaks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very interesting. Pricing seems a little odd, I wonder if the leaked pricing is wholesale and not retail? I skipped through the video so I didn't see mention of that distinction.

I'm just thinking in the poor fools who invested so much money in a 9900K, with zero upgrade path. What a sad lot that must be...

You think so? I bought a 9900k as a short term purchase and will get a faster cpu and new mobo from either Intel or AMD when released. These things aren't an investment, they're an entertainment luxury and easily replaced.

Can you imagine a 16c/32t CPU at 5.1ghz? That is fucking mind boggling.....Need Kyle to see if that is on all cores!
We will find out but with proper cooling even with single core boost the venerable Fragmaster will get it close on all cores.

One of those 6 core ryzen may be my next cpu, my 6600k is still passable but it tends to choke down on newer AAA title in crowded area.
Not really interested with the current offering from intel and the AMD 2600/2700 series is tempting but I feel it would end up winning some and loosing some to my 6600k at 4.6ghz.

Awesome, Nvidia can keep their price gouging RTX bullshit. I'd really like a card from AMD that can beat a 1080ti, and cost around $500-$550.

Well, according to this, you will see a card that ALMOST equals it, for $250. I wouldn't be surprised if AMD has something we don't know yet in graphics that will REALLY change the game...like mGPU being seen by the system as a monolithic GPU...and being able to put 4 or 8 Navi chiplets on one die...

If this is true, I will be sooo happy. That said, I've gotten my hopes way too high at pretty much every AMD launch in the past several years. I'll admit the products over the past 2 yrs have been a lot more tempting. But, again if this is true and we can get close or to 5ghz on AMD..... Then count me in. Can't wait to return to AMD but I don't want to lose performance in the process. Also, those Navi GPU's seem awesome. Will totally TACO the used GPU market lol. The miners must be nervous. If more rumors start supporting this, I could see the used GPU market get flooded the the floor drop on prices.

You REALLY should try using a Ryzen 2700x system...or a Threadripper 2nd gen. You wouldn't know the difference between it and an Intel system. (and they have proven it with blind tests, with GAMING)

Man if that R9 3850 is true.. 16c/32t 5.1Ghz plus 13% IPC uplift compared to Zen+. I am so going to replace my R7 1800x with it. This reminds me of the days when you upgraded the CPU and immediately felt your computer get snappier. We haven't had that since like 2010 or something.
Would finally bring IPC to parity with Intel's current parts.

Cannot wait, looks like the son will get the 4790k and I can get 3x the cores and a frequency bump for what I paid for it in 2013...... we may be in the golden age of CPU's again!!

Now if we could only get some of this AMD chiplet design in GPU......

Will these new cpu's from AMD have better IPC as well as clockspeed?

IPC will increase slightly - say 10-15%

That with a clock bump will essentially tie these with Intels current offerings.

There’s no way anyone with a shred of business sense would create a card that can beat a GTX 1080 and sell it for such a huge discount. Small discount to make it inticing? Sure. But that high of a delta? I mean we all can dream, but it would be completely stupid to do from a business standpoint.

Given the hype we were fed for Polaris and Vega, two cards I was interested in for upgrading my R9 280X only to be completely disappointed when they actually launched, I would file this under “believe it when I see it”.

AMD is merely releasing the next iteration of their graphics tech. Remember Nvidia is the one that broke pricing on GPUs when they factored the crypto retail price market into their RTX release. Right now a 2080 should be ~499, 2070 ~399-429, and the 2080ti ~699.

Releasing a card with 1080 performance at the 300$ price point is where the market SHOULD be right now from a historic perspective if you are not selling crypto cards and are in fact in the gaming business. If they are able to deliver that market segment, which is always the sweet spot for gamers looking for a little umph (look at 970 gtx sales), they will be back in business.

Not knowing how computers work, what would prevent AMD from making GPUs the same as as CPU , io die with multiple gpu chiplets? Also, I imagine those x86 components could be replaced or combined with ARM components?...
All in all things look bright even if they only attack mid low gpu markets. The cpu side looks really good.
Theres that saying about need being the mother of all invention and what not.. well AMD was basically boxed in a need of being the most efficient with silicon, bad or good, so this way the figured out a lot of efficiency.
COUNT on this happening. It'll likely be a Enterprise part that is used for AI/Learning because those fields can accept some latency increases compared to gaming.

The 3850X is 2/3 the price of my threadripper with more and faster CPU i just bought this month.

I picked the wrong time to upgrade...

I'm going to be pessimistic (despite exploding with enthusiasm inside), and say that the clocks being reported be higher than they may end up being. But NOT for the reason many may think. AMD may want to hold back the clock on these parts to get some word of mouth support for "how amazing these overclock!?!?!". Imagine if the clocks for the Ryzen 3 3300X was 3.7Ghz/4.2Ghz, but with just a touch of voltage, that chip makes it to 4.7Ghz across ALL cores. That's a GHZ overclock from the base, something that will get word of mouth spreading and spreading fast. If they start with 4.7Ghz or 5Ghz then it would give the illusion of no headroom for OC, which would then be true.

Also being conservative with clocks on the 3000 series will allow them to impress more with the 4000 series. Instead of being a bit disappointing like it was going from Sandybridge to Ivybridge, the clock bump at base would be substantail enough to make going from the Ryzen 3000 to the Ryzen 4000 (Zen 2+?) series be more like going from the i7 2600k to the i7 4790k and less like going from the i7 2600k to the i7 3770k.

Here's what a conservative Zen 2 should look like to me.

- Ryzen 9 3850TH- (Anniversary Edition) : 16-Core/32-Thread - 4.0Ghz/4.7Ghz MaxBoost - $449.99
- Ryzen 9 3800X : 16 Core/32-Thread - 3.8Ghz/4.5Ghz MaxBoost - $399.99
- Ryzen 7 3700X: 12 Core/24-Thread - 3.9Ghz/4.6Ghz MaxBoost - $299.99
- Ryzen 5 3600x: 8-Core/16-Thread - 3.8Ghz/4.45Ghz MaxBoost - $249.99
- Ryzen 3 3300x: 6-Core/12-Thread - 3.8Ghz/4.35Ghz MaxBoost - $179.99
- Phenom 2090t: 6-Core/6-Thread - 3.8Ghz/4.3Ghz MaxBoost - $129.99
- Athlon 350TH- (Anniversary): 4-Core/8-Thread 4.0Ghz/4.5Ghz MaxBoost - $99.99
- Duron 205: 4-Core/4-Thread 3.4Ghz/3.9Ghz MaxBoost - $59.99
- Sempron 102: 2-Core/4-Thread 3.2Ghz - $29.99
- FX-5x: 2-Core/4-Thread - (OEM, cheap laptop or tablet, might be called "Ryzen-FX")

Let's assume that Zen2 has Skylake-Like IPC, even with these clocks this is a very competitive line-up, and still embarrass Intel, while having some left in the tank for a Zen2+ Ryzen 4000 series with 300-400Mhz increases across the board.

Then we come the new Radeons. Again, AMD may hold back clock-speeds and they may be more disappointing than Adored is sharing.

- Radeon RX-3080 - GTX1080-Performance +/- 5% - $299.99
- Radeon RX-3070 - GTX1070-Peformance - $229.99
- Radeon RX-3060 - Between RX-570 and RX-470 performance - $179.99

I also theorize that some motherboard manufacturers will have Dual-BIOS with a switch for the x570 boards. In one position it's for the Ryzen 1000 and 2000 series, with the other being for the Ryzen 3000 series board. B550 boards won't have this switch and will only work with Ryzen 3000 processors. x370 and x470 will have limited support to only up to the Ryzen 7 3700x. B350 and B450 will work with up to the Ryzen 5 3600x. This confusion is why AMD and the Motherboard manufactures are considering an "Intel like" refresh, with cutting backwards/forwards compatibility to not confuse the market.

Thanks for reading, this is all me making assumptions.

Last edited:
The 3850X is 2/3 the price of my threadripper with more and faster CPU i just bought this month.

I picked the wrong time to upgrade...

If you like that chip, just wait to see how excited you're gonna be when they release the new threadrippers that are compatible with your current board.

I also theorize that some motherboard manufacturers will have Dual-BIOS with a switch for the x570 boards. In one position it's for the Ryzen 1000 and 2000 series, with the other being for the Ryzen 3000 series board. B550 boards won't have this switch and will only work with Ryzen 3000 processors. x370 and x470 will have limited support to only up to the Ryzen 7 3700x. B350 and B450 will work with up to the Ryzen 5 3600x. This confusion is why AMD and the Motherboard manufactures are considering an "Intel like" refresh, with cutting backwards/forwards compatibility to not confuse the market.

Thanks for reading, this is all me making assumptions.

They won't have some wonky switch for different chips, the x570 board is going to introduce pci-e 4.0 and the boards themselves are going to be designed to offer enough stable power delivery for a 135w cpu. Older chips with less power won't need special tricks to work on the boards.

If his predictions do turn out to be true, my current 1700 / RX480 system will get an upgrade probably towards 3700X / RX3070.

If that CPU will work in my current motherboard of course.

Will these new cpu's from AMD have better IPC as well as clockspeed?
The rumours say around 15%, so only 3 generations of Intel products' worth. A 15% IPC increase and those clocks would mean AMD have a monster on their hands.

If you like that chip, just wait to see how excited you're gonna be when they release the new threadrippers that are compatible with your current board.

They won't have some wonky switch for different chips, the x570 board is going to introduce pci-e 4.0 and the boards themselves are going to be designed to offer enough stable power delivery for a 135w cpu. Older chips with less power won't need special tricks to work on the boards.

BIOS ROM has a max space of 16mb. With the amount of SKUs compatible on the board, their may not be space on the BIOS for the myriad of processors. Trust me it didn't make sense to me either until it was pointed out how much flair and prettiness that are put into UFEI/BIOS these days and that 16mb of ROM for the BIOS fills up quick. Hence the DUAL BIOS. I already used it with some Gigabyte z97 boards, and it's been on Radeons since the R9-290 I beileve.

Like I said, what I wrote was just speculation from what I've been hearing, not just from Adored, but others.

Wow - Will wait to actually see a nice review from here of course... but it's nice to really having something that makes you feel pretty good about doing a new build :)

If true I'm switching to AMD on launch day for the first time since the Athlon XP 2400+ I had as a teenager.
The question is - 12 or 16 cores?

If you want to take advantage of PCIe 4.0 you will need a new MB.

I've been reading that PCIe 5 is looming--like, in another year or so after version 4 comes out. If that's true it would probably mean skipping 4 peripherals makes sense for most people except those willing to buy the top-end stuff every year.

I'm going to guess that pricing and clock speeds may be a little overenthusiastic.

Maybe, but consider that the 3850X is only a 750MHz bump from the 2700X, on what will probably be the best dies that don't go to Rome/TR, and that the 2000 series, which was not much more than a minor die shrink (as opposed to a major rearchitecture), managed a ~250MHz bump. It doesn't seem out of the realm of possibility.

For those wanting faster less-core chips (not me)... one of the most interesting aspects of the recent AdoredTV videos is the implications of 7nm chiplet binning. For the desktop the best chips will go into Threadrippers.

--> So buy a midrange unlocked TR, disable all but the cores you want, and OC the hell out of it. With great silicon and such a large die, package and surface area, the result - including cooling costs - might compete with Intel's top 14nm quads.

Plus you can adjust clocks and cores later - a good path if you decide that max FPS in some game you don't play was really so important.

Just some brainstorming here... I'm totally rusty on Intel, TR, and OC. For instance, TR power management might forcibly limit dissipation, regardless of cooling capability.

Last edited:
I have a shiny ass B450 MB sitting here with no CPU to put in it as I was holding out for a Blackfriday sale for the 2700x that never happened then this came along.... If it is Q1 or Q2 for these to launch I may just have to hold off.

I want to see what AMD can do if they say... you know what.... screw it lets ramp this up to 250 watt TDP and throw more chiplets and memory on this. Double the cost and see if we can blow that 2080 ti out of the water performance wise.

We know enthusiests will buy them in droves. We can sell with partners in limited batches to keep our risk down. Once we have a thousand cards ordered (after the review and introduction batch) we make a production run and then do it again for every thousand (or whatever number makes sense.).

Right now they are giving us what the PS5 will have. We're the master race of hardware here. We should let AMD know we want the top of the line we will pay a reasonable price for it and we will love them for it to boot.

Bingo. I know we all want to stick it to “Ngreedia” for their ridiculous RTX pricing, but AMD isn’t a charity for us, willing to give away hardware with sick deals. They’ll charge what they can, and they SHOULD, or else they won’t be viable as a business. Even Vega 64 was priced at 1080 levels where it was slated to compete.

If I were a manager at AMD and my engineers came up with a card that competes hard with the GTX 1080 and a marketing guy said we should sell it for $250, I would fire them.

Apologies if this is brought up later in the thread, but what you are missing here is that Vega is expensive to make, largely because of the HBM2 requirement and die size. Vega dies are pretty big. AMD could not price the Vega series much lower than they did at release and still make money on it. By all reported rumors, Navi is actually really cheap to make, both because it will be on 7nm and because it uses the (much) cheaper GDDR6. It is very possible they could price it in the sub-$300 range and still make good money on it.

RX3080 at $249 and 150W TDP? Equal to RTX 2070 performance???? Take my money....

They need to come out with a RTX2080 competitor though... $399 sounds reasonable.

This all sounds too good to be true. This IS AMD we're talking about, so always lead with doubt

Does this mean more RAM channels?

Doubtful, but it would be really cool to see triple channel memory for DDR4 for 2 reasons:

- 24 GB seems like a great amount for future proofing current power users (this is ignoring the "I am running 4 VM's while video editing and transcoding" uber class)
- The extra bandwidth would really help the APUs.

There is always the TR quad channels, but now you are talking expensive boards that need at least 32 GB of Ram as well as being huge making smaller form factors impossible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back