AdoredTV Discusses the Recent AMD Ryzen and Radeon 3000 Series Leaks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Suddenly I feel bad about investing $400 into a GTX 1070 Ti on Black Friday. Should have resisted, BAD ME BAD *slap*

I want to believe all the stuff (or most of it or even half of it) but my mind says this is way too good to be true. I hope it is tho but as they say if it sounds too good to be true...

I’m super skeptical about that $250 GTX 1080 killer; that’d definitely put a dent in every segment of the market outside of the ultra-high end. Even then I’d imagine a lot of people willing to settle for extremely good 1440p performance versus 4K at that price point. With the people alreafy willing to spend $250 for good 1080p performance this could easily cannibalize the current go-to 1080p cards.

If this all works out to be true, then the whole "Finding the next horizon of computing." line seems apt.

Server grade compute from a couple years ago on consumer grade hardware. Check

Highend (1440) gaming on APUs. Check

1440 maxxed gaming GPU at the $250-300 price. Check

Again, IF, as these are rumors and hearsay. As usual, I'll be waiting for the [H] review.

And I still have my first Athlon too. A SlotA 600 that does 1GHz with a 2/3 cache divider on an Alpha pin cooler and 9K Deltas. It would go higher using the water block I made from a silver butter tray. I've recapped the Abit KA7 KX133 recently (just found it all when cleaning out old crap), and it runs fine. Good times, just need to make another waterblock to shut it up. Those Deltas, I can't believe what I put up with back then.

My bum 1700 is waiting for a replacement.

If the 3700X can deliver 4.5 or even 4.7 on turbo, I'm sold.

Didn't watch the video, is this because of tsmc 7nm?

Intel has always been a gen ahead fab wise and it made their meteocre architecture appear better then it was. Tsmc stromg fab reports and intels struggles are a major game changer.

Unlike intel Nvidia will be using tsmc 7nm as well. But their "Good performance-stupid prices" as business model is dead.

Would be awesome to see AMD return to "good performance-reasonable prices."

I've mentioned before if this happens I don't know if last AMD jead and former engineer dirk meyer (?) Did yeomans labor and laid the groundwork for this or was holding it back.

Here comes the usual AMD hype train. Feels like deja vu....

I know what you mean. Although some years AMD faux-hype was only thing restraining Intel and Nvidia from going full a-hole.

What's different this time is tsmc 7nm fab. Amd have always been held back by what is now global foundries. Even intel is behind tsmc right now. Fab nodes are a big deal. Hard to "tweak" your way to compensate for fitting half as much logic in the same chip.

Im not sure where you're getting this from. A RX590 is just barley there and these APUs won't be even close to that by a large factor.

Fine, I don't have a Navi GPU to test. But given the current generations performance, that 15 (or even 20) CU APU should play most mainstream games at 1440 if you didn't insist on maxing out graphics settings. I know lots of people that just install the game, set to their native rez (if it's even needed) and play. They only mess with settings if it feels slow. Why do you think games started auto-detecting settings rather then defaulting to low-medium? If you loaded Overwatch with that setup right now, with a 1440 display, it would likely give you 1440 @ high-med settings. Most peeps would play the crap out of it without complaint.

Sorry, should have thrown in a 'mainstream' in there somewhere so enthusiasts wouldn't get butthurt.

Suddenly I feel bad about investing $400 into a GTX 1070 Ti on Black Friday. Should have resisted, BAD ME BAD *slap*

I want to believe all the stuff (or most of it or even half of it) but my mind says this is way too good to be true. I hope it is tho but as they say if it sounds too good to be true...

nah it was worth it dude, we won't see navi until probably october'ish i would guess so 10 months of usage out of the 1070 ti pays for it's self in my opinion if you have games to play that take advantage of it. can just hand down the card to some one else or sell it if the rumors end up being true for navi.

Fine, I don't have a Navi GPU to test. But given the current generations performance, that 15 (or even 20) CU APU should play most mainstream games at 1440 if you didn't insist on maxing out graphics settings. I know lots of people that just install the game, set to their native rez (if it's even needed) and play. They only mess with settings if it feels slow. Why do you think games started auto-detecting settings rather then defaulting to low-medium? If you loaded Overwatch with that setup right now, with a 1440 display, it would likely give you 1440 @ high-med settings. Most peeps would play the crap out of it without complaint.

Sorry, should have thrown in a 'mainstream' in there somewhere so enthusiasts wouldn't get butthurt.

totally agree with you, most mainstream gamers don't even understand what all the quality settings effect anyways.

Last edited:
Imagine somebody two years ago telling you that if you purchased a budget motherboard with AMD chipset released a few months later, it would only support CPUs with no more than 12 cores.
Would you've considered that a limitation?

The mid range Navi looks like it will be miners dream. ...
Yes, that seems like a real issue resulting in new price hikes and poor availability...

This video might have just killed the sales of RX 590s.
Not for another couple of months.

... what would prevent AMD from making GPUs the same as as CPU , io die with multiple gpu chiplets? ...
Nothing, the speculation is that Navi is done that way.

Reactions: ltron
like this
I think there is no way remotely possible they release there vega64 replacement for $250 (RX3080). It will definitely be over $400 EASY. I would say even $499. You cant expect them to just give it away compared to what people have shown they have no issues paying.

I think there is no way remotely possible they release there vega64 replacement for $250 (RX3080). It will definitely be over $400 EASY. I would say even $499. You cant expect them to just give it away compared to what people have shown they have no issues paying.

agree, they could also be using it as a scare tactic to nvidia.. people looking at buying the 2k series might now hold off buying 2k series cards and/or it forces nvidia to eat their profit margins and reduce prices earlier then they wanted to.. personally i wouldn't mind if that happened. but the fact that they're internally calling them the 3060/70/80 might be just be what they're trying to do. i don't think those will end up being the final names on them, personally i think they should stick with the naming scheme they used with the Vega series.. "RX [model] [CU count]".

Last edited:
Reactions: Mylex
like this
God I hope the bit about x570 being required for the 16 core parts isn't right. I'm gonna be pissed being as I just bought a Crosshair VII Hero earlier this year. If ASUS doesn't find a way to make it work (being as this board already has an auxiliary power connector for the CPU) I'm gonna be seriously torn about shelling for a $500 processor and another new motherboard.

If you want to take advantage of PCIe 4.0 you will need a new MB.

Don't feel bad, you have a good video card that you get to use until Navi comes. The good thing about it should be its resale value, as long as you time it right.

When will people like you learn that AMD isn't Intel or nVidia, they are after mindshare, not maximum profit? Which situation will win more mindshare? Bringing 1440p gaming to the unwashed masses at $250 or competing directly with nVidia's card at the $499 mark. If AMD is making a nice profit at $250 why shouldn't they offer their product for $250? nVidia really has you people well trained to accept high prices.

I didn't think about them just trying to make people pause for a second on giving in and buying into the 2000 series NVIDIA card. I expect to see benchmark leaks of the new AMD cards in the next few weeks.

When will people like you learn that AMD isn't Intel or nVidia, they are after mindshare, not maximum profit? Which situation will win more mindshare? Bringing 1440p gaming to the unwashed masses at $250 or competing directly with nVidia's card at the $499 mark. If AMD is making a nice profit at $250 why shouldn't they offer their product for $250? nVidia really has you people well trained to accept high prices.
This is quite laughable, AMD is a business and just looking at what they have done with previous releases support what I said. You think TSMC's investment into "7nm" advancement went without AMD putting something into the pot? If they were such a customer centric business anomaly what happened with the pricing on Vega 64 and 56. They initially lagged their Intel counterparts but were price similar to them. Just look at the price of the RX590 that is $200( my bad lol $279) and it sits between the 1060 and 1070. Why inst that $130? They will see what the market supports and price it accordingly.

Last edited:
I'm in dire need of upgrading my 3470. I'm 90% sure I'm going to switch to Team Red. Had my eyes locked on a 2700x for awhile now. Next eBay 15% off deal comes up, I'm sure I'm going to pull the trigger on a 2700x/x470/3200 setup.

This "leak" looks promising, but I won't be impressed until I see actual numbers.

Will these new cpu's from AMD have better IPC as well as clockspeed?
With the IPC gaines they made with 2nd gen Ryzen Intel better hope not. Losing the stock frequency advantage will be painful enough. I would buy a 3800x if it let me hit 4.9 or 5 on all cores and I will find a reason to build it for support.

This is quite laughable, AMD is a business and just looking at what they have done with previous releases support what I said. You think TSMC's investment into "7nm" advancement went without AMD putting something into the pot? If they were such a customer centric business anomaly what happened with the pricing on Vega 64 and 56. They initially lagged their Intel counterparts but were price similar to them. Just look at the price of the RX590 that is $200( my bad lol $279) and it sits between the 1060 and 1070. Why inst that $130? They will see what the market supports and price it accordingly.

I think those gpu prices seemed low and I wouldn't be surprised if they launched with higher prices. Unless AMD is going all out to gain marketshare and it's all part of there plan. Perhaps they are worried about NVIDIA's propriety RTX tech and there response is to compete on price. One can hope.

Sounds too good to be true. Those R9 would be memory starved. Hopefully the clocks speeds are true.

If only DDR4 prices came down..

I think those gpu prices seemed low and I wouldn't be surprised if they launched with higher prices. Unless AMD is going all out to gain marketshare and it's all part of there plan. Perhaps they are worried about NVIDIA's propriety RTX tech and there response is to compete on price. One can hope.
I feel they need to get back in the fight on the lower level before RTX is a real feature on entry level cards. It will be game over if they don't before widespread adoption. If they go all in and just embraces the value solution title with all sub $400 cards I can see that being enough for them to gain marketshare.

Man if that R9 3850 is true.. 16c/32t 5.1Ghz plus 13% IPC uplift compared to Zen+. I am so going to replace my R7 1800x with it. This reminds me of the days when you upgraded the CPU and immediately felt your computer get snappier. We haven't had that since like 2010 or something.

I was excited to upgrade in the spring, but if it's too good to be true, it probably is. Even if these are MSRP, at launch they'll fall right in line with what stuff is going for now. You won't see RX 580's drop to $100. The new $129 card will shoot up to $300 instead.

Is there a transcript of this video?... i cannot listen to this guys voice for more than 30 seconds....

I’m super skeptical about that $250 GTX 1080 killer; that’d definitely put a dent in every segment of the market outside of the ultra-high end. Even then I’d imagine a lot of people willing to settle for extremely good 1440p performance versus 4K at that price point. With the people alreafy willing to spend $250 for good 1080p performance this could easily cannibalize the current go-to 1080p cards.

There’s no way anyone with a shred of business sense would create a card that can beat a GTX 1080 and sell it for such a huge discount. Small discount to make it inticing? Sure. But that high of a delta? I mean we all can dream, but it would be completely stupid to do from a business standpoint.

Given the hype we were fed for Polaris and Vega, two cards I was interested in for upgrading my R9 280X only to be completely disappointed when they actually launched, I would file this under “believe it when I see it”.

There’s no way anyone with a shred of business sense would create a card that can beat a GTX 1080 and sell it for such a huge discount. Small discount to make it inticing? Sure. But that high of a delta? I mean we all can dream, but it would be completely stupid to do from a business standpoint.

Given the hype we were fed for Polaris and Vega, two cards I was interested in for upgrading my R9 280X only to be completely disappointed when they actually launched, I would file this under “believe it when I see it”.

Attachments

• North Remembers.gif
    North Remembers.gif
    891.3 KB · Views: 0
Let's hope it's more true than hype because the competition will benefit us all.

Let's hope it's more true than hype because the performance will benefit us all.

Lisa Su appears to be adept at playing the long game. Instead of reacting to everything Nvidia or Intel do, she keeps AMD on course to slowly improve, strengthen their position, get better financials, and, as you pointed out, increase mindshare.

If the rumored products, performance, and prices in the video are true, the payoff for AMD as a company is just about to happen. Here's hoping to an awesome computer [H]ardware 2019!

Is there a transcript of this video?... i cannot listen to this guys voice for more than 30 seconds....

An' ye call yerself a Marine bu cannae e'en unnerstan a tru Scotsman speakin aboot somethin ye should unnerstan? Fer shame. I bet ye dinnae e'en know Tun Tavern was all aboot helpin the Scots long before it recruited Marines. :)

I would agree, except by the time these things are out, it will post crypto, and of course while its new tech is just reaching performance that has been available for a good while.
AMD may be a business, sure, but right now its one more receptive to lower prices, and more hungry for market share, than both nVidia and Intel.. its the nature of their position, more than of their business i suppose.

Bingo. I know we all want to stick it to “Ngreedia” for their ridiculous RTX pricing, but AMD isn’t a charity for us, willing to give away hardware with sick deals. They’ll charge what they can, and they SHOULD, or else they won’t be viable as a business. Even Vega 64 was priced at 1080 levels where it was slated to compete.

If I were a manager at AMD and my engineers came up with a card that competes hard with the GTX 1080 and a marketing guy said we should sell it for $250, I would fire them.

I would agree, except by the time these things are out, it will post crypto, and of course while its new tech is just reaching performance that has been available for a good while.
AMD may be a business, sure, but right now its one more receptive to lower prices, and more hungry for market share, than both nVidia and Intel.. its the nature of their position, more than of their business i suppose.

Even post crypto, adjusted for inflation, you can pull $400 for GTX 1080 performance in the gaming market. The evidence is that gamers are paying it.

I agree that they may want to grab market share, but you don’t sell $400 hardware for $250 just to do that, when you could still grab share at $300 or $350. I bought my R9 280X because I wasn’t going to pay an extra $80 for the GTX 770 at the time. I wouldn’t have paid an extra $20 either. It was the same performance. I suspect there are a lot of people thinking the same way as I am.

Even post crypto, adjusted for inflation, you can pull $400 for GTX 1080 performance in the gaming market. The evidence is that gamers are paying it.

I agree that they may want to grab market share, but you don’t sell $400 hardware for $250 just to do that, when you could still grab share at $300 or $350. I bought my R9 280X because I wasn’t going to pay an extra $80 for the GTX 770 at the time. I wouldn’t have paid an extra $20 either. It was the same performance. I suspect there are a lot of people thinking the same way as I am.
We're talking several months to a year, nvidia may even be close to or already releasing their 7nm gpus. These prices seem reasonable to me, if a little low for release pricing.

Reactions: ltron
like this
Yeah, It does not sit well with the intel crowd. Especially those that just got the 8086 or the 9900. Looks like AMD is going to shit all over that parade.

I'm just thinking in the poor fools who invested so much money in a 9900K, with zero upgrade path. What a sad lot that must be...

Not at all. Most people who got the 9900K wanted the best, so we got it. These CPUs are not out yet, and we don't even know if the clock speeds will hold, AMD has been making leaps and bounds advances in their CPUs. However, you can't buy them, but you can buy the 9900K, and I am enjoying it, and will keep enjoying it until May when they are saying these new CPUs will come out, at which point if everything holds true, I will buy a R9 3850X. This is the computer world, where there is always something better/cheaper 6 months or a year down the road, if you keep waiting, you will never buy anything.

The focus should be on these being amazing chips, rather, you just want to pick on Intel and those who buy them for some reason. So many Intel and AMD fan boys everywhere these days and so few that are just happy to see new and amazing stuff.

We're talking several months to a year, nvidia may even be close to or already releasing their 7nm gpus. These prices seem reasonable to me, if a little low for release pricing.

Right, it’s possible, but at the same time, we’re seeing at or near MSRP pricing today, at retail, for 2 year old GPU technology, despite a huge glut of used GPUs on the secondary market. Again, I’ll believe it when I see it. Otherwise, this is just another “wait for Vega” moment.

Wow. Just dawned on me that after reading articles here on various current AMD CPU's/Motherboards/Sockets for the last 2 years that I've reached a point of knowing about 3 complete gens of varying tier levels.

Not going to get into the Intel bashing. It's just nice being informed enough to make some educated decisions on alternatives. Thanks [H]ard!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back