Adobe to Launch Photoshop for iPad in Strategy Shift

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Adobe is planning to launch a full version of Photoshop for the Apple iPad, which will be unveiled in October and release sometime next year. It is part of the company’s plan to make its products compatible across multiple devices and allow professionals to edit their work anywhere, as well as capture more casual users.

The new tools will have mobile-friendly interfaces more familiar to these audiences, rather than being replicas of the existing desktop versions. The app won’t immediately be a replacement for Photoshop, which has been around since 1990, but will be offered alongside it, people familiar with the project said.

Lol, for anyone that has ever edited or done any work with layers and higher res, this will be a slideshow.

Lol, for anyone that has ever edited or done any work with layers and higher res, this will be a slideshow.
This is definitely one of the areas where cloud computing would be fantastic. Would be way faster to upload the image with a set of editing commands to a server and re-download the image after being processed.

Makes sense, like the way Office works these days. You have fully featured clients on all the major platforms where most work can be done interchangeably but you still have the desktop clients with the most capability and performance when needed.

yeah Apple only cares about a mobile now now the Mac's days are numbered

yeah Apple only cares about a mobile now now the Mac's days are numbered

Macs are still a huge business for Apple. However I do think that iOS and macOS are headed for some type of convergence especially if Apple dumps x86 on the Mac and goes with it's on ARM chips.

That, sounds horrible. All I can think of is the 20 minutes it would take to apply a sharpening or gaussian blur filter to an image of any size.

lol - the iPad Pro is easily faster than many low end notebooks. GPU is more powerful than any Intel integrated GPU. If text selection in iOS wasn't garbage still I'd be typing this on an iPad Pro instead of a MacBook Air. You wouldn't want to edit some ridiculously large files, but you can do quite a bit on the iPad Pro today that three years ago I wouldn't have considered at all. But today? Perfectly viable for quite a bit of work.

Are iPads still as popular as they once were?

I kinda thought the fad died off after people realized they werent as productive as a laptop or desktop. And a phone with a big screen is almost as good.

Adobe has seen the writing on the walls for years with Apple, it’s no surprise they are announcing this just a few months after Apple makes it clear they are working on their own chips for future macs. I could maybe see this working reasonably well on the iPad Pro line that will launch along side it. Initial reports for the A12 and A12X chips show a remarkable improvement over the A11’s.

Something something, GPU acceleration added to their suite vastly improving rendering and multi threading should make this all moot, something something, I hate apple but this will work fine.

lol - the iPad Pro is easily faster than many low end notebooks. GPU is more powerful than any Intel integrated GPU. If text selection in iOS wasn't garbage still I'd be typing this on an iPad Pro instead of a MacBook Air. You wouldn't want to edit some ridiculously large files, but you can do quite a bit on the iPad Pro today that three years ago I wouldn't have considered at all. But today? Perfectly viable for quite a bit of work.

I don't see it as a matter of speed. Diminishing returns have come some years ago that it doesn't matter much the platform you run Photoshop. It's still a big deal what medium you use to perform duties with it. Mouse or pen versus fingers, there's no contest. Mouse or pen win every time versus anyone's fat and imprecise fingers.

I don't see it as a matter of speed. Diminishing returns have come some years ago that it doesn't matter much the platform you run Photoshop. It's still a big deal what medium you use to perform duties with it. Mouse or pen versus fingers, there's no contest. Mouse or pen win every time versus anyone's fat and imprecise fingers.

Apple Pencil says hello.

Reactions: DocNo
like this
It's good for pencil sketches, but the Apple Pencil really can't compete with Wacom's pens.

Actually, you have that backwards. Wacom can't compete with the Pencil: https://www.imore.com/my-97-ipad-2018-review-drawn-written-edited-and-produced-ipad

She's not the only one, just the one that leapt to mind. The pencil with the iPad Pro display is far more responsive and lower latency, especially when directly manipulating on screen.

Photoshop with a Pencil is awesome.

Well then we can all find reviews about ipad pros online.
I have also tried the the cintiq 24" and yea pro is nice but not the same thing.

That, sounds horrible. All I can think of is the 20 minutes it would take to apply a sharpening or gaussian blur filter to an image of any size.

And that's on the fucking PC/Mac version with a keyboard! Everything is freaking 20 steps of keyboard memorization on photoshop.

And that's on the fucking PC/Mac version with a keyboard! Everything is freaking 20 steps of keyboard memorization on photoshop.

And that's why you use a tablet. The Cintiqs have most of that built into programmable macro buttons so you don't need the keyboard near as much. My main problem with Photoshop though is an NVidia issue. The step backwards command happens to also be what brings up Geforce Experience. With the iPad, this wouldn't be an issue though.

Would be way faster to upload the image with a set of editing commands to a server and re-download the image after being processed.

considering most peoples UPLOAD speed sucks, im not so sure.

And that's why you use a tablet. The Cintiqs have most of that built into programmable macro buttons so you don't need the keyboard near as much. My main problem with Photoshop though is an NVidia issue. The step backwards command happens to also be what brings up Geforce Experience. With the iPad, this wouldn't be an issue though.

I think you guys are missing what I'm talking about. It's not the macros or the keyboard shortcuts or anything. I'm talking about the amount of time it takes to actually render the alterations to an image. I enjoy modding textures in games and even to do a selection by color on a 4k normal map texture it can take 30 seconds or so to do. That's with a 7900X, and 64GB of ram and a Titan Xp. If it takes that set up 30 seconds, how long would it take an Ipad to complete the same task?

Yea, people do not understand the requirements it takes to render things in ps. For any sort of high res, you need a crap-ton of ram, processing power and space - something a shitty tablet will never have more than a pc.

Back