Adobe flash update: "unable to load application configuration"

Discussion in 'General Software' started by biggles, Apr 14, 2014.

1. biggles

biggles [H]ard|Gawd

Whenever it is time to update Adobe Flash on my desktop I get this error message during the update process. I have to uninstall the program and then reinstall it directly through Firefox to get it to update. My laptop, which runs an Nvidia card, doesn't have this problem.

Is this normal system behavior? Is there a way to fix this so that the updates work the way they are supposed to? I have spent a lot of time researching the problem before stumbling onto this solution. But it should not be so hard to update Flash.

2. evilsofa

evilsofa [H]ardForum Junkie

The question in my mind is which version of the Flash installer the error is coming from. By that I mean, is it attempting to update Flash in Firefox or Internet Explorer? So, open this page in both Firefox and IE:

http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player.html

Many people forget to update Flash for IE, and if that version is borked up then it may be giving you the error you're getting and whatever you do with the Firefox version doesn't matter.

As a side note, are you using or have ever attempted to use Flash on 64-bit versions of either Firefox or IE? You probably haven't, but I'm just checking.

3. biggles

biggles [H]ard|Gawd

http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/

I don't understand your post, evilsofa. I downloaded the installer at the link above. When running it I got the error message from above.

4. evilsofa

evilsofa [H]ardForum Junkie

What I meant is that if you go to that page with Internet Explorer, you will get the IE version of Flash, which is separate from the Firefox version of Flash.

Upon further research, I find that the problem is probably that something is blocking the updater installer from running Flash. The offline installer does not run Flash while it is installing Flash, but the updater installer runs Flash while it is installing Flash.

What antivirus programs are you running? Check the Programs And Features control panel for any AV programs you may be unaware of, such as McAfee.

While there, also check what versions of Flash are installed there. The Firefox version will be titled "Adobe Flash Player 13 Plugin", while the Internet Explorer version will be titled "Adobe Flash Player 13 ActiveX" (the version numbers may be different).

5. biggles

biggles [H]ard|Gawd

My desktop runs Bitdefender, laptop runs AVG. Perhaps the former interferes with Flash updates.

I will try disabling Bitdefender next time I update Flash. Thanks for the tip.

https://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/

When I go to the above link with Firefox and Internet Explorer, it shows that version 13.0.0.182 is installed in both cases. So they are current because I just went through the process described in my initial post. This current version is listed for all the browsers: internet explorer, firefox, chrome, etc.