Adobe Flash Player Replacement 'Shumway' Lands in Firefox 27

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Beginning with the release of Firefox 27, Mozilla will be replacing Adobe Flash Player with their in-house HTML5 Flash Player named Shumway.

Adobe Flash Player has a long history of being plagued with bugs, and many users opt not to install it at all; so being able to play Flash without the normal player is a big step forward for security, as well as on mobile devices which don't support Flash natively.

The question being...with any Flash "replacement"....is, "does it actually work?"

Right when Flash is working bug-free..they always update it to one that crashes.

alf-po3.jpg

No problem.

It's about time they're doing something to replace flash. I'm sure other companies will follow depending on how this turns out.

Firefox is on version 24 right now. Shumway comes out in version 27, that is roughly 5 months from now. Right now Shumway is in a "pretty much unusable state". That doesn't sound like something I want to use 5 months from now.

Firefox is on version 24 right now. Shumway comes out in version 27, that is roughly 5 months from now. Right now Shumway is in a "pretty much unusable state". That doesn't sound like something I want to use 5 months from now.

There's no guarantee that it will be enabled when 27 is the current version. It's just like js.pdf was for several versions integrated but not enabled. They'll turn it on by default when it's ready.

Awesome. A crappy buggy browser riddled with memory leaks, now paired with a poopy untested flash replacement created by the same company who made the original buggy flash.

Sweet.

if it's as bad as the integrated pdf reader, then no, thanks. the pdf reader has all kinds of weird display issues.

Awesome. A crappy buggy browser riddled with memory leaks, now paired with a poopy untested flash replacement created by the same company who made the original buggy flash.

Sweet.

What do you use? Let me guess...Chrome? I have been a FF user since the very beginning, and have used the latest IE/Chrome from Time to time and have seen no reason to switch..FF pioneered many of the things that IE/Chrome users take for granted, so I will continue to use/support them until something TRULY better comes along..I haven't heard anyone complain of "memory leaks" with FF in years..Most of us have more then 640K of ram these days:p...

I haven't heard anyone complain of "memory leaks" with FF in years.

no offense but what rock have you been hiding under lol

memory leaks and firefox walk hand in hand....then again exhaustive memory spikes are often due to random sites like youtube

i use ff and chrome as some sites tend to run better on a certain platform go figure :confused:

the last time i had a ff leak it took gigabytes of ram even after it was shutdown....

The whole issue of memory leaks is one of the reasons I run the 64bit Nightly build, the more RAM I can throw at it the less often I have to restart FF. I have seen it eat north of 6GB of ram before.

Die flash die. When will HTML 5 become the baseline?

My Firefox always crashes randomly and apparently for no reason. Really gives me the $hits! I have stuffed around with my 5 or 6 add ins i use and they don't seem to be causing it. So the only thing i can put it down to is flash BS! Now all my other issues about flash aside (slow loading, slow to use, the list goes on).. this alone peeves me off like you wouldn't believe!

So i'm hoping flash dies real fast. And if something else takes over even if its buggy... well so be it. At least it will be teh start of the end of Flash.

no offense but what rock have you been hiding under lol

memory leaks and firefox walk hand in hand....then again exhaustive memory spikes are often due to random sites like youtube

i use ff and chrome as some sites tend to run better on a certain platform go figure :confused:

the last time i had a ff leak it took gigabytes of ram even after it was shutdown....

And 99% of the time it's due to flash as it sometimes refuses to release memory even if the browser process is suspended, typically when some ad network is using as a tracking system. There's specific things that Google is doing to try to reduce that with their version of Flash, but even then its masking the problem, and both would rather get rid of it entirely.

Back