Adnantages/Disadvantages of Windows, DOS and Linux

Volkswagen

Staff member
Can you guys hlep me list some Adv/Disadv of Windows, Dos and Linux ? Or give me a link were I can find some. I am fmimiliar with Windows but not DOS And linux.

Thx

Why is DOS on your list?

DOS is old, dead, a dead beaten dog.. Wile it cool to understand, and some might consider it uber l33t to do stuff with. its pretty much useless i nthe real world outside of a hand full of command luine stuff you do with it on a windows server..

A bit of a broad question. Answers change depending on who you ask and what you are doing.

Maybe narrow the field a bit; What are you trying to do?

DOS is dead, unless you have some anciant app that only works in a specific ver. of dos and is irreplaceable.. A computer run auto lathe built in the 80's that no-one ever bothered to write a sofware update for because the company that made it went out of bussiness, for example.. Win/Linux comparisons will really depend on your applications..

we have an app like that called CAMs. Its used to send production ticket prints to a big ass 25,000 dollar printer.

It will not run on anything higher than dos 5.x and needs a CPU slower than 266Mhz.. its was custom made for us way back when and still in used today.

it for a lab on operating systems just to kinda sumarize it after the chapter. So DOS is pretty much useless and stuff how bout Linux ?

linux has come leeps and bounds to make it quite noob friendly ... I know , because I'm a linux noob and am able to use distros like Fedora Core 4 , Ubuntu , Vector SOHO ... being that as it may , there is still a learning curve to endure if you've been spoon fed by microsoft all your pc years ..

..what I have found is that it's easier to get into linux if you dont know anything about windows.

..in general , my first experiences with linux was "well how the heck do you do that, all I had to do in windows was just this or that ..." . Once I learned how to do "this or that" in linux , I have found it to be just as easy if not easier to do that it was in windows... wether by just built recognition (ie ..plugging in thumbdrives or digi cams) or thru command line ..

for example:
...in windows the way I knew how to make an iso of a dvd movie was thru dvd decryptor , easy enough free proggie .. in linux i just open up a terminal and type "dd if=/dev/dvd of=/whatever.directory/nameofdvd.iso" , and I'm done(that command is not limited to just movies)

stuff like that
linux isn't harder , it's just different

[F]old|[H]

Advantages/disadvantages are meaningless without context. An advantage in one situation can easily be a disadvantage in others. If this is indeed a school problem, I'd just write that the question is bullshit. :p Doubly so since it mentions dos. :D

Back