Admitted Norway Killer Breivik Trained on Video Games

MW2 could... tell you how to... hold a gun, not exactly properly and how to aim again, not exactly the right way... but that stuff is on the internet, at the library, you could go to a shooting range to learn properly even. Even then, using a gun isn't that hard to do. Something was wrong with this guy and it was the fact that he was mentally unstable not that video games made him a killer. Sensationalist media that uses no actual studies, just gives blame. Its kinda sad that after all these years they still want to blame video games for poor parenting or even lack of parenting or just plain crazy. Like crazy doesn't exist in our world without a reason.

MW2 could... tell you how to... hold a gun, not exactly properly and how to aim again, not exactly the right way... but that stuff is on the internet, at the library, you could go to a shooting range to learn properly even. Even then, using a gun isn't that hard to do. Something was wrong with this guy and it was the fact that he was mentally unstable not that video games made him a killer. Sensationalist media that uses no actual studies, just gives blame. Its kinda sad that after all these years they still want to blame video games for poor parenting or even lack of parenting or just plain crazy. Like crazy doesn't exist in our world without a reason.

No different than D&D in the 80's, Rock & Roll in the 50's, whatever bullshit before...ANYTHING to push the blame on so that we can feel better about ourselves and sit in judgement on others.

I became an expert at casting spells, archery and swordplay through my computer.

Someone who plans something in a 2 stage process is a genius? I suppose, if we set the bar low enough, nobody will have poor self esteem. World = Saved.

Killing the children and family of politicians, instead of the politicians themselves is pretty solid in itself, not to mention that his "2 stage process" was likely much more involved than that. I imagine he did dozens of dry runs on various portions of the plan...hell I could be wrong, he could have just winged it, either way he succeeded at doing exactly what he wanted to do.

"Trained on videogames"

Yes, cause looking at a screen is the same as firing an actual fricken weapon

And I can look up guerrilla tactics just by old published novels on vietnam war and enemy strategies to effectively target and cut off a police force, such as police body dummies (Dress up dummies as police officers, leave them in hard too reach places like sewer drains) cause the whole police force goes into high alert and rushes too that area, then spring your attack on a vulnerable sector in the opposite area of town, such as a soft target with little security like a bank etc

But again, reading about this stuff won't make me a expert, just a tactician, I've never put it into practice because I've never been in a combat situation, with with all my book learning and videogame playing, cause you can't simulate actual world experience

Another example is generals training special forces in how too "Kill without hesitation" by getting them too stomp, slaughter and maul chickens bare handed too teach them "Killing instinct", but its not the same as actually being in a combat situation and actually aiming a rifle at somebody, a chicken is not a person

He's right. Video games are great training!

Here's me going through med school:

250px-Theme_Hospital.front_cover.jpg

Here's me the pilot:

flight-simulator-x-21.jpg

And here I am tripping balls:

super-mario-bros-2-20080520104104340.jpg

The guy said he played the games and the prosecution and the papers wanted attention so they tied the two together as "training."

Easily the stupidest thing I have ever heard today. Well I trained on X-Wing and Tie Fighter so I am qualified to fly a spaceship! Whatever.

I love this site and the writers here. Sorry to say that i am disappointed that you even posted that at all. Did you net even bother to read into it? No you just blindly assume that CNN did the reporting for you. Well they didn't.
Please explain how WoW trains you to kill anything but fictitious creatures. There is nothing even close to realistic in that game at all. If you actually read into this a bit, you would know that he wrote a manifesto. In the manifesto he states how he trained with REAL guns on a shooting range, and played MW2 for "practice". He states that he played WoW for a "break", and to give himself a gift before he dies. Look it up.

Also, seeing how this is a computer hardware site, i would assume that you have at least seen both of those games before. Therefore seeing how mistaken CNN is, and also realizing how BS this story is. Neither of those games are even close to realistic, hes just trying to scapegoat. You should know better.

I see someone at CNN has an agenda to grind. I've seen three separate stories on this same topic today. Two made their coveted "main article". :rolleyes:

blaming right wing craziness on video games is rather funny

i have 5500+ kills with an AN94 in BF3. I can tell you one thing for sure...i wont be able to shot a real abakan for shits! :D

So the other evening I went to the mall and ran around no scoping people on the 2nd floor with my 55lb Baretta thanks to Modern Warfare. I appreciate the tips Infinity Ward.

There is a vast difference in playing a game for fun and stress relief, and playing a game to get a better idea of how to kill people.

a wise man once said, if video games actually influenced human behavior, then most of the population of the world that has a facebook page, would have become farmers in real life by now....

or something like that =p

I've spent thousands of hours playing violent video games.

I've never even been in a fight in RL and I own 6 firearms.

I'm hardly a danger to society :p

Well, I guess its settled now, video Games do NOT help you become a better killer: He failled to kill all the people he wanted and he got caught. He was seriously lacking skillz.

Well, I guess its settled now, video Games do NOT help you become a better killer: He failled to kill all the people he wanted and he got caught. He was seriously lacking skillz.

Let's not forget that his targets were unarmed civilians. It would have been a lot different if he had been facing well-trained armed opponents that knew how to use their weapons. I also have yet to see a video game where the goal is to slaughter innocent people. I doubt the media will take those facts into consideration though.

Back