Admins: What do you run for a centralized Antivirus solution?

reveille_83

Limp Gawd
Currently running Symantec Antivirus / Symantec Center Console.

Symantec is a hog on system resources. I was wondering if you guys had alternative solutions? The only things I care about is being able to run Scans / Push updates from our server. Any suggestions? Thanks

Nod32 (they have differen editions...we use the professional edition but they also have enterprise etc.)

I like the looks of NOD32. But would I need to purchase Enterprise edition for the server and all the clients?

Trend is a good program/company. I have witnessed a few virus outbreaks while using Trend, and they were always quick to get us a patch or updated pattern file.

reveille_83 said:
I like the looks of NOD32. But would I need to purchase Enterprise edition for the server and all the clients?

Dunno really...they gave us a site license.

ScYcS said:
Nod32 (they have differen editions...we use the professional edition but they also have enterprise etc.)

Enterprise Edition consists of 4x components...

*Update Mirror...this rig downloads the updates, and distributes them to all your other rigs
*RAS...sits on the update server for the RAC to connect to
*RAC...Remote Access Console..can run it on the server, and/or on your workstation..to admin the server
*Client packages for servers/workstations. Just the plain antivirus..no other "agents" such as XMON for Exchange..those are optional.

My favorite antivirus package.....just about all my clients are running on this. I've used Trend Micro, I came from the Symantec Corporate Edition world..doing many of those since version 5, also have used CAI's products, McAfees, AVGs,

Of all of them..I think Symantecs was the most intuitive. However...IMO the product itself just isn't good anymore and is got bloated since version 10. NOD32s RAC can be a bit overwhelming at first..but wow...once you get familiar with it...very powerful, very granular.

I couldn't recommend McAfee's VirusScan either for the same reason. Their On-Access scanner's horrible!

Trend Officescan corprate edition but switching to symantec.... I preffer Trend 10 fold though.

FromTheLou said:
+1

Sophos makes a great product, with even better software/technical support.

I'm a little dissatisfied with their product in terms of malware / unwanted application removal, but other than that they do good. Technical support as always been very very helpful.

Almost all of our clients are running sav 10 or 10.1. Would like to try out nod32 but haven't had the time to mess with the managed versions. We then run Spyware doctor enterprise for malware. When pctools ads the virus protection they claim to be working on adding to it I'll prob look into how well it works.

NOD32.

Low footprint, great protection, good $$$, constant signature updates. Can't beat it.

Trend Micro Neatsuite - Includes Officescan and Viruswall

This includes the antivirus that is server managed with client software, and the Viruswall which is a gateway antivirus / antispam. If you were using this particular server as a proxy, it will do content filtering and http antivirus as well, however, I just use it for the e-mail scanning features.

Cost is like $28 per seat for 100 seats at the time of purchase and renewal is like $21.50 per seat per year.

I have been using AVG Network on a smaller scale deployment (6 machine) for about a year now without any problems.

It does have local update server abilties and you can schedule scans. I havn't spent much time to learn the admin system, but im sure there is a ton more I am missing that might be useful.

If you have any questions about it feel free to ask me.
AMDbuilder

NOD32 enterprise. Remotely manage all computers from a centralized server (which can be a windows xp machine). Been running it for 2 years at the office and just renewed for another 2 years.

Ive been setting up customers with Trend Client Security for SMB, nice package, does remote installs as well

We are currently using SAV (norton) but I'm experimenting with NOD32's solution and I'm trying to pitch it to management. It is much less bloated than the SAV client and doesn't have all the problems SAV has (considering we had to manually update some 20 clients [the machines that didn't use novell] because of the whole 5.5 6.6 issues). So I would check out the NOD32 solution.

We are a McAfee shop, as are many of our clients (+50K Desktops).

Servers are also McAfee.

Yes, you can do a remote AVG install.

They have also added graphing capabilities and some other stuff, but my install is still very minor and my skills are still mainly desktop based.

They offer a trial version on their website thats good for at least 30 days if not 60... It's been over a year with it so I don't recall the trial all that much.

Enjoy
AMDbuilder

has anyone tried AVG Anti-Virus Network Edition?
I run it on a network of 67 PCs...

I didn't go through all the posts, so I might repeat some of the stuff.

It works well. When you first install it on the server, you configure some options (how it works, times, updates, etc. You can change it all later), and then it lets you scan the network for PCs. It comes back with a list. It will tell you if the PC can install it (98 doesn't work I know), if it already has AVG installed, if it is out of date, or whatever.

You can just push it out to all the computers then...

It is 100% central. You can manage everything about it from the server. Update times, scanning times, schedules, servers, etc. You can pull up individual computer test results, remove objects it finds, etc.

It displays which workstations are out of date, and alot more. You can specify which sorts of updates it downloads and installs (optional, priority, etc), where it gets it from (local server, or straight from the internet).

I like it, AVG is a light client that doesn't bog anything down. I've just personally had much better luck with AVG scans than anything else- again- just an opinion. Others have better luck with other stuff.

Here is some information on using 98 with AVG Network edition

http://www.grisoft.com/doc/51/us/crp/0/num/157/fht/-51.436-51.155#faq_157

AVGAGENT can’t be installed remotely on Windows 95/98/ME/XP Home

This is a feature. These operating systems don't support remote access, hence it is necessary to install AVGAGENT locally, e.g. by using a Logon Script. The installation of AVG can be done remotely, but only if AVGAGENT is installed on the remote station.
The manual installation can be done as such:
You have to copy avgagent.exe, avgagent.lng and avgagent.ini files to a folder on the station and run command avgagent.exe /install /start. After that you can use all advantages of AVGAgent as remote installation of AVG or upgrade of AVGAgent.

Hope that helps you some with that issue.
AMDbuilder

NOD32 Enterprise with 100 clients

We're running the same, plus the Exchange module. Recently switched from Symantec. I have been a huge NOD32 supporter, but I will say I am less than impressed with their support. I have been trying to get someone to return my call for 4 days now. :mad:

I have been trying to get someone to return my call for 4 days now. :mad:

They've been fantastic for me. My very first support call to them years ago..when version 2 was out and I was having issues with Act! e-mail client at a client of mine...I sent an e-mail figuring it wasn't a 911..just figured a reply with a day or so would be fine...within an hour or so their support called me back on my cell phone.

Another time....involved a few calls back 'n forth..the regional rep called me a few times on my cell phone following up.

Have you tried their official support forums at http://www.wilderssecurity.com/index.php ?

I've posted on the forum before, but haven't this time. It's just much easier to explain the problem in spoken word rather than text.:D This is our first support incident as a customer, so I'm hoping things get ironed out. I was somewhat surprised because it seems that they have a very small support staff - the guy I talked to on Friday morning said he was the only one there, and would have a tier 3 guy call me back. :(

McAffee 8 with EPO servers pushed out to around 10k users or so
seems to work fine, but the program seems to really slow a machine down. Fairly intensive scanning.

At home, on my domain, I run Symantec 9.1 and it seems much lighter and doesn't bog the machines down as much as the McAffee.
I have heard the opposite about later versions though. Mine is a few behind.

Back