Adjust Gentle Typhoon fan speed?

XenatR

Limp Gawd
hi all, i recently bought a Corsair H60 with a gentle typhoon 1850rpm.. it is attached to the cpu header on my p8z77-i motherboard, but also to a molex connector for power.

it is making a lot of noise, which irritates me, and id like to lower the fan speed!

is there a way i can adjust the voltage or something to lower it? or a speed dependant on load?

i cant seem to figure speedfan out :/

it's not a PWM fan so you cant adjust speed to temp unless you connect it to a 5.25"/3.5"/PCI fan controller but I think Asus Z77 boards can control fans speed through voltage (only chasis not CPU headers).

it's not a PWM fan so you cant adjust speed to temp unless you connect it to a 5.25"/3.5"/PCI fan controller but I think Asus Z77 boards can control fans speed through voltage (only chasis not CPU headers).

if i connect my 3pin scythe GT to the next socket along on the motherboard (that being the chassis fan connector), you think id be able to change the voltage?

and presumably that would be a single voltage change, meaning i wouldnt be able to set it change speed according to temperatures?

if you have it, search youtube for "ASUS Fan Xpert 2"

oh cool! asus website is playing up though, im trying to click on my motherboard from the list but the website isnt responding to that

Isn't there a way to make GTs PWM?

I'm not aware of any method to make a fan PWM if it doesn't natively support it. There are fan controllers that can take a PWM signal and convert it to voltage control, but that's it.

I'm not aware of any method to make a fan PWM if it doesn't natively support it. There are fan controllers that can take a PWM signal and convert it to voltage control, but that's it.

Just did alittle bit more research and it seems only the high speed GTs (AP-29 and up) can be modded to PWM control.

Sure its the fan and not the pump? Lots of corsair water cooler pumps made noise that was fixable by reducing the pump voltage.
I fucking love gentle typhoons. I just installed 2 more in my system to replace the new corsair fans I purchased a while back.

Sure its the fan and not the pump? Lots of corsair water cooler pumps made noise that was fixable by reducing the pump voltage.
I fucking love gentle typhoons. I just installed 2 more in my system to replace the new corsair fans I purchased a while back.

The odd thing is, I initially thought it was my newly bought gtx 660's coil whine, then I unplugged the 1850 gentle typhoon and the noise stopped, apart from a very quiet but annoying buzz from the cheap ocz 500w power supply I have. It must be the fan surely, and I only disconnected the fan and the molex was still attached to the 3pin black pump cable.

I have just ordered a Noctua P12 Pwm fan so will know by Tuesday exactly what that noise is!

Is it possible to return an item on the grounds of annoying noise? (if somehow it turns out to be the pump)

If you have Z77 asus you can set 3 pin in bios under monitor or use fan xpert2 with it plugged into chassis header .
I like to use bios as then no other running apps at startup is needed .

In bios you can use standard , turbo asus profile or adjust setting manually . there is one issue the ramp up speed only starts at 40c so depending on were sensor is and your ambient that maybe not good so fan expert2 might be only way around this .
I never tried it .

No one wants to address the fact that it is plugged into the mobo header and the PSU directly? To the OP, you do not need both. Plugging it into the PSU will run the fan at 100%. Plugging it into your mobo header may give you the option to control it, but that depends on the mobo and which header on the mobo you use (some are PWM only, some are 12V no matter what).

Last edited:
Yeah you only need to attach to the motherboard header for both power and (hopefully) control. I've used SpeedFan for a long time and it's an awesome program, but FanXpert or a similar program will do the trick.

Back