Adding ram stick to old dell pc, micron specs same but other one has hp sticker, does it matter?

alpharalpha

Weaksauce
I just got the old office pc & monitor, not looking to put much into it, is Dell Optiplex 390, i5-2400, but only one 4gb stick ram, I found same one pc-3 10600U-9-11-B1 #1146 but has HP sticker on it, does that matter if ram stick is the same? Wouldn't think so but figured I'd check before buying it.

Voltage needs to be the same. Speed doesn’t matter, but know the machine will default to lowest speed stick. Timings are less important but having them close helps.

The brand sticker on the ram does not matter as long as the above apply.

Voltage needs to be the same. Speed doesn’t matter, but know the machine will default to lowest speed stick. Timings are less important but having them close helps.

The brand sticker on the ram does not matter as long as the above apply.
That's very interesting; so then if dealing with ddr3 any ram of the same voltage will function normally, doesn't matter if 10600, 12800 etc; 1333, 1600mhz, etc. If all were the same ones?

That's very interesting; so then if dealing with ddr3 any ram of the same voltage will function normally, doesn't matter if 10600, 12800 etc; 1333, 1600mhz, etc. If all were the same ones?
Correct. It will default to the slowest speed and timings. Timings can be tricky, but worst case scenario I have seen ram just default to the bog slow JDEC standard for that generation.

re that voltage thing, i ran into a lot of DDR3L low voltage stuff in dell, not so much in HPs. so if it doesnt work that is a good chance of being the prob. so confirm that before purchase.

re that voltage thing, i ran into a lot of DDR3L low voltage stuff in dell, not so much in HPs. so if it doesnt work that is a good chance of being the prob. so confirm that before purchase.
I would stick to 1.5v thereabouts; on the Dell forum looks like people have been able to use 16gb of this ram (with updated bios) https://www.newegg.com/g-skill-16gb-240-pin-ddr3-sdram/p/N82E16820231637 even though the 390 states only 8gb. I'm not seeing any 2x8gb ddr3 udimm ram for under $50; well except for this one, is non-paired version of the one from above, think it's good match? https://www.ebay.com/itm/224814063044?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
you need to look at the existing ram to check the voltage. if you do the finder on corsair it says the 390 is using 1.35v . if yours is 1.35v the 1.5v might not work and thats the issue i ran into. 16gb is possible though, with the right ram. i have seen posts of 1.4v working fine. i would stick with buying from somewhere that you can return it if it doesnt work. that $20 kit is just the opening bid too...
https://www.crucial.com/compatible-upgrade-for/dell/optiplex-390-small-form-factor#memory

This is what's in it now
ram.jpg

And the other 1146 I found on eBay with the hp sticker.
s-l1600 (4).jpg

Went ahead and got it, was $10 shipped and seller pays for returns so seems safe bet for now. Looking it up says 1.5v

Back