adding metal screw inserts to 3D prints

Dosobye

Limp Gawd
Hello,

I am just getting into 3D printing and I'm looking for your experience in adding inserts to 3D prints. I have access to FDM sla and sls printers from my work. Are there any types of inserts that work well and hold up better? Which process is better for them? How do you set your hole sizes? I've seen some stuff online where people press them in with a soldering iron. Is that really effective?
Anything else I should know or can ready further about.
Thank you

Viper16

[H]ard|Gawd
Yeah those heat set inserts work great. They have different styles, unsure if they are for different securing styles. They are pretty strong if you use them responsibly.

Tim_axe

Gawd
FDM you can probably set inserts into most printed bosses with a soldering iron. Not sure how much smaller to size the boss.
SLS is probably a bit like FDM when it comes to melting plastic, so you should be able to set an insert into a boss with a soldering iron.
SLA sounds like that won't work. I think you'd have to make a boss where the insert fits, and then glue it in place according to https://formlabs.com/blog/adding-screw-threads-3d-printed-parts/