Adding memory

ralphie1313

Limp Gawd
Hi quick question I have 4 8gig sticks in my machine now I have 4 open slots I am buying 4 more sticks and yes they will be the same but can the size be different instead of adding 4 more 8gig can I add 4 16gig sticks or do they all need to be 8gig

thanks very much

If your priority is memory capacity and not speed, sure you can mix and match. I think that breaks any dual channel but you will get the full ram amount.

If your priority is memory capacity and not speed, sure you can mix and match. I think that breaks any dual channel but you will get the full ram amount.

hey thanks for response I am not to good with this so in your opinion is it better to stick with just adding 4 sticks of 8 or go wit the 4 sticks of 16, I don't know what u mean when u say it will break the dual channel that don't sound good!! lol
I think I am bottlenecking upif that makes sense..

Without knowing what system this is going in (could be dual channel, could be quad channel - heck 8 slots, sounds likely) - I just meant that you will be sacrificing speed to have a big pool of memory.

Will it work? Likely yes. Will it be optimal? No, it won't.

Again, depending on what you are using this for, it's perfectly OK to do. If it's just putting around web pages with 20+ tabs open, sure go for it. But if you're playing games or something else that's more sensitive or requires speed, you may not want to.

It's up to you and what your priority might be.

Without knowing what system this is going in (could be dual channel, could be quad channel - heck 8 slots, sounds likely) - I just meant that you will be sacrificing speed to have a big pool of memory.

Will it work? Likely yes. Will it be optimal? No, it won't.

Again, depending on what you are using this for, it's perfectly OK to do. If it's just putting around web pages with 20+ tabs open, sure go for it. But if you're playing games or something else that's more sensitive or requires speed, you may not want to.

It's up to you and what your priority might be.

OK!! I got ya yes I like to do flight sims xplane and such I have an amd 2990wx threadripper with asus rog x399-e crosir vengeance ddr-4 3000 win 10=64 and a bunch of hard drives ….oh and dual rtx2080 ti in sli mode

How is it running for you right now? If you are already satisfied with it, I wouldn't even bother adding more ram. I don't run sims so I don't know how much of a memory hog or GPU hog they are - especially given that you already have fast hardware.

Going from 32gb to 64 or more gb ram ... for most apps would be a marginal improvement if any improvement at all.

If I were in your shoes, I'd try to find out what would be better for that particular app - more ram or faster ram. If it were me, I'd go faster ram but I have heard people say physics heavy sims soak alot of ram so I could be wrong for your use-case.

Back