Adding laptop to small business server

bobsaget

Supreme [H]ardness
Just bought a laptop for our office with Windows 8 pro.

Trying to add it to our network of servers/printers/etc.

Our server is a desktop that runs Windows 2003 server. From there I can manage all users. Usually with the users I set up, I can simply add user/password, and I am able to hook up to network. All stations run windows xp.

Few questions, what is the best way to connect laptop so it can access servers, printers etc? can it do it wirelessly?

Any help would be greatly appreciated as the newbie IT guy in our small Real Estate office.

Thanks!

im going to assume your network is using Active Directory.
On the server go to (bear with me havent used 2003 in a while) I think if u go START then My computer right click on my computer and go to properties. in that window look for computer name then you should see "Domain" does it have a name for domain?
I think you can also open a command prompt and type in "ipconfig /all" and look for DNS suffix.

If there is a domain name on the laptop go to Computer > right click > go to properties > go to computer name > click Change > select Domain bubble > type in that domain name > click OK > it will ask for credentials, type in an administrator account that is on that win2k3 box.
It can do all of that wirelessly no problem. Do you know if you have a print server?

Is this Server 2003 or Small Business Server 2003? There is a difference.

Is the laptop getting an IP address from the DHCP scope on the server? Or are you running DHCP somewhere else?

The laptop that is running Windows 8, is it the Pro version or the Home version?

im going to assume your network is using Active Directory.
On the server go to (bear with me havent used 2003 in a while) I think if u go START then My computer right click on my computer and go to properties. in that window look for computer name then you should see "Domain" does it have a name for domain?
I think you can also open a command prompt and type in "ipconfig /all" and look for DNS suffix.

If there is a domain name on the laptop go to Computer > right click > go to properties > go to computer name > click Change > select Domain bubble > type in that domain name > click OK > it will ask for credentials, type in an administrator account that is on that win2k3 box.

BOOM got it. Thanks!

This might be a newbie Question but anyway to access the sever wirelessly?

BOOM got it. Thanks!

This might be a newbie Question but anyway to access the sever wirelessly?

Do you have a wireless network?

It does not care if you are wired or wireless, the server and laptop just need to be on the same network.

Do you have a wireless network?

It does not care if you are wired or wireless, the server and laptop just need to be on the same network.

BOOM got it.

Great day in my small IT world.

Thanks everyone

Back