Adding drivers to Linux ISO

ranebowcyxx

Weaksauce
I have created slipstreamed Windows install disc with all my latest SATA/RAID Drivers and the drivers that came with my mobo, works great!
My question is can I do the same thing by editing the ISO, in other words the knoppix 3.8 doesn't recognize my sound card (Audigy2) or my onboard Gigabit Ethernet or my SATA/RAID setup. I am running the disc now on an older workstation and everything runs nice.
If I can update Knoppix with the drivers I need which folders(s) would I modify.

Thanks for any help, this is my first try with Linux and I am hoping to relegate Windows to simply a gaming toy.

Yes and no. It can be done but it will require a little more work than you think.

There are a couple of things you should realize. First, most live linux CD's contain compressed filesystems, usually compressed with a util called cloop, which means you won't be able to add files without decompressing then recompressing. Secondly, drivers in linux aren't a one-fits-all binary like in Windows. You have to compile a driver specifically for your kernel. Doing such requires the kernel sources, which many livecd's don't include for space reasons, and requires a compliler like gcc (some have some don't).

So the basic process is:
1. Install linux on your hard drive with a build environment (and kernel sources)
2. In a subdirectory, decompress the contents of the livecd
3. chroot to that subdirectory, download the drivers, compile and install
4. add any other custom programs and clean up the trash
5. exit chroot and mkisofs on the subdirectory
6. recompress with cloop
7. burn to cd

My best advice is to google for a tutorial on "remastering knoppix" as it will give you a command-by-command breakdown of how to accomplish this.

Back