adding an extra LED to an LED strip

Mungler

n00b
I have a d5-photon-270-reservoirpump-combo. it has a hole for a 5mm LED. It came with a boring one colour LED which obviously my first thought was to swap it for a nice RGB one. In my build I already have a 5050 RGB LED strip in my case and I was considering connecting this new LED to the existing strip. This is so I can have the res light cycle at the same rate as the rest of the lighting without having to mess with two controllers.

Has anyone done this before? I know it is going to involve a bit of extra circuitry (I don't know the rating of the 5mm RGB LED off the top of my head) to match them up electrically.
Just wondering if it will be worth the hassle

I have a d5-photon-270-reservoirpump-combo. it has a hole for a 5mm LED. It came with a boring one colour LED which obviously my first thought was to swap it for a nice RGB one. In my build I already have a 5050 RGB LED strip in my case and I was considering connecting this new LED to the existing strip. This is so I can have the res light cycle at the same rate as the rest of the lighting without having to mess with two controllers.

Has anyone done this before? I know it is going to involve a bit of extra circuitry (I don't know the rating of the 5mm RGB LED off the top of my head) to match them up electrically.
Just wondering if it will be worth the hassle
Your rgb controller probably has a 12V output. First, you have to find a 5mm rgb led that is common cathode or common anode - depends on what your led strip is. Secondly, as far as I know, you will need three different resistors for each of the colors.

Pretty much what I expected at this point. Moving house right now so everything is in boxes. The controller I have at the moment is usb, so 5v. The 5mm led is four pin 3 anodes and a common cathode. So I'm off to a good start

Back