Adding a 3TB drive into Windows Home Server v1

Hey guys!

I followed this guide:

http://spackle.wordpress.com/2011/04/22/going-for-3tb-in-whs-v1/

And everything seemed to go ok...

After I installed the 3 TB disk and got everything working, I started copying my movie files over. Everything went well until about 1 1/2 TB left on the drive then everything came to a screaching halt.

I watched the network monitor and it would peg out at 100% for about 10 minutes, then drop to 12% for another 10 minues…then 0%.

The only way to re-gain access to the WHS was to reboot.

So I decided to go buy a 2TB (which I knew would work) and remove the 3TB…After I put the new drive in all has been fine.

Side note, now I have a brand new 3 TB drive sitting on my desk that I can't use (fry's won't take it back without a box)...ugh...

Any ideas?

Hey guys!

I followed this guide:

http://spackle.wordpress.com/2011/04/22/going-for-3tb-in-whs-v1/

And everything seemed to go ok...

After I installed the 3 TB disk and got everything working, I started copying my movie files over. Everything went well until about 1 1/2 TB left on the drive then everything came to a screaching halt.

I watched the network monitor and it would peg out at 100% for about 10 minutes, then drop to 12% for another 10 minues…then 0%.

The only way to re-gain access to the WHS was to reboot.

So I decided to go buy a 2TB (which I knew would work) and remove the 3TB…After I put the new drive in all has been fine.

Side note, now I have a brand new 3 TB drive sitting on my desk that I can't use (fry's won't take it back without a box)...ugh...

Any ideas?

Sell you drive to me for $50. ;)

I think there is a hard limit at 2TB in V1.

Hey guys!

While I am actually interested in selling it I'm still wondering what the issue is.

Has anyone else run into this problem?

PM me for pricing and details.

Hey guys!

While I am actually interested in selling it I'm still wondering what the issue is.

Has anyone else run into this problem?

PM me for pricing and details.

Adding 3TB discs to WHS v1 is hit and miss. Some people have been able to do it while others (like me) has not. 3TB are the reason i am using Windows 7 as my server OS and not WHS v1 (I dont like WHS 2011).

1) Create storage space in raid controller/ install 3tb/advanced format drive

Can ou explain what he means by this?

Everything else seems pretty straight forward but his is a little vague.

Also, when I install the drive and reboot, the drive only shows 766 or so GB and I don't see this in the guide you posted. Is this ok?

Any other tips you can offer?

Thanks in advance!

Sorry for the slow reply.

For step one - He just means install the drive. If you are doing it in raid install it into your controller.

On first boot before you do the guide, yes the space will be off, it should show properly after you have done the guide.

Best tip, read the whole guide through and get everything ready before hand, so much smoother that way.

No 2TB+ partition without GPT (instead of MBR, MBR has a limit of 2TB), - GPT is on 64-bit Windows. WHS v1 runs on Windows Server 2003 for Small Business, it is 32-bit and therefore does not have the ability to see 2TB+ partitions without special drivers for special drives.

Got two myself, WD and a Hitachi. Follow this guide and it should set you good.

I've used this guide myself on large RAID 5/6 arrays to add them as single drives >2TB to WHS V1 storage pool. The problems isn't that WHS V1(server2k3) doesn't support GPT or requires any special to be installed, but that when you add a drive to the storage pool in WHS V1 it formats it to MBR, the guides simple tells you how to convert it to GPT after adding and what needs to be change so the drive's new IDs/sizes will be seen/shown by WHS storage pool.

Also, WHS reinstalls(as in using the the reinstall option not a fresh/new install over an old one) have no problems restoring any GPT partions you might have had prior.

Back