Adding a 240mm radiator to the top of a Lian Li PC-V1000 Plus

ryanjg11

Gawd
I scored a gently used Lian Li PC-V1000 Plus mid-tower case recently, before realizing it's a BTX design (motherboard mirrored in case, flipped upside down).

My intent was to do my first custom water-cooled loop.

I'm planning a Ryzen 1700X build using a B250 micro-ATX motherboard, so I think I will actually have some free space at the top of this case for installing a 240mm radiator.

Wondering if anyone has attempted a custom watercooled loop in this case, or a similar BTX compartmentalized case, and if you have any tips?

Thanks!

looking at pics, it shouldn't be hard. Get a decent template and use a dremel to cut out the spacing, and drill holes for screws.

If you wanna be fancy, you could find some mesh or something to attach and make it look nicer.

if your cool with modding you can actually fit a 280mm. plus what GBawls just said.

Do you think a 280 would still fit up there if I'm using the 5.25 drive bay for the bay reservoir? Guess I could stop being lazy and actually measure it... :)

yeah should be no prob. it has 4x5.25 bays and it looks like the bottom one is adapted for 3.5 so prob 5x5.25. a 280 with fans will be less than 2 bays at the top.

Thanks all. This is my first custom water loop. I used the EKWB configurator but it came to over $600. Hoping I can do it for about half of that... Any ideas how I can save a few bucks? I want to keep the GPU in the loop.

no prob. look in the fs/ft thread. theres always good deals in there or buy less expensive parts. the difference is only a couple degrees but its the fancy-ness that costs a lot. $300 should get you a good setup just not as flashy.

edit: if you don't mind function over form you can save big by going soft tube with barbs

Thanks pendragon1. Are there any parts you would seriously shy away from buying used, given their propensity to leak or fail? I want to get my GTX 970 waterblock used--I don't even think EKWB makes it anymore--but I do wonder if buying used could be rolling the dice a bit on this kind of part.

np! umm not that I can think of. the only thing I would say to get brand new is the cpu block and that's just to save the hassle of finding an am4 bracket. heres a post about what blocks are out there: https://hardforum.com/threads/am4-compatible-waterblocks.1925044/#post-1042949270 you might be able to find a used one that has an am4 bracket that you could order.
shouldn't have to worry if youre buying it from someone here, I hope not anyways.

edit: and post pics too!

Last edited:
That is an inverse-ATX case, not BTX. An ATX board would not fit in a BTX case and vice-versa. A BTX board is essentially a mirror image of an ATX board. If you put them both side by side on a table with the ATX on the left and the BTX on the right, the processors would be next to each other and the slots would be on opposite ends.

With that out of the way, I have the PC-201B which is the larger cousin to the V1000. Unless you are using a mATX or ITX board you won't have room to mount a radiator and fans internally at the top of the case. With a mATX board though you should be able to get a 30mm - 40mm thick rad + fans in there. A 240 or 360 should fit if you are willing to give up the top 5.25 bay. A 280 should also fit but I think a 420 is out.

Another alternative at a somewhat higher cost but a LOT less work is the Koolance Exos EX2-755. It's a stand alone external unit that combines radiator, fans, pump, reservoir, and fan controller in one box that can sit on top of or next to your computer. Just add blocks, tubing, fittings, and coolant. I've been using one for years and it works great! With the system in my sig and a moderate overclock I never see temps go over about 62c in the summer. This is a good solution for older Lian Li (and other brand) cases that are not water cooling friendly even for AIOs. MSRP is $299 but it can usually be found cheaper at places like Performance-PCs.

Red, thanks for the suggestion and good to know it's not BTX. I do actually think the look of the Koolan Exos EX2-755 would jive well with the PC-V1000 style, but I almost feel it's too easy. (Side note: my last build was an NCase M1 - after trying to fit everything into a half-shoebox, I feel like I need a tougher challenge.)

Red, thanks for the suggestion and good to know it's not BTX. I do actually think the look of the Koolan Exos EX2-755 would jive well with the PC-V1000 style, but I almost feel it's too easy. (Side note: my last build was an NCase M1 - after trying to fit everything into a half-shoebox, I feel like I need a tougher challenge.)
Hey, just because it looks easy doesn't mean you have to make it easy! Rather than putting it on top of your case, do it the [H]ard way... Cut a big hole in the top of the case, take the bottom off the Exos, and find some way to bolt 'em together. Been wanting to do that like forever but I have neither the skills nor the tools to do it. :)

I'm a little late to the party but figured I'd show a couple pics of my V1100 from a while back that I put a 240 rad in the top. It's a pretty easy mod. Dive right in!

http://imgur.com/a/erS1h

But damn dude, you didn't show any of the innerds. Looks nice from the outside though. Good job!
Haha I know, these are the only pics I could find from that system, it was like 10 years ago after all.

Back