Adding 10/100 HUB to 100 BaseT port on switch?

soulax

Weaksauce
I have a 24 port cisco 1700 switch, that has 24 10 Base T Ports (1-24), and Two 100 Base T Ports (A,B).

I hooked a piece of straight through cat-5, from the uplink port of a 10/100 HUB to one of the 100 Base T ports on the switch. It works, the PC's still get IPs and can still talk but im just curious if this is acctually doing anything? (Im hoping that this is creating 8 100BaseT ports on the HUB from the single 100BaseT port on the router)

Basically I have 3 PC's that need to transfer files from each other, and 10mbs just aint cutting it.

Is this is a bad idea?

Im also thinking about Hooking up the internet router into the other Base T 100 port so the 3 PC's hooked into the HUB @ 100BaseT will then talk to the router @ 100BaseT, thus having a faster internet connection (Or am I fool to think that 10mbs vs 100mb for the net will be a differance).

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong here. I think it goes like this though:

Do you have anything else plugged into the switch? If you only have 3 computers, just use the 10/100 hub, you should then get 100Mb shared between the 3 pc's. Or, you could just use the switch by itself, and have a 10Mb port per PC. I think if you use the hub, the computers will still talk to themselves at 100Mbits. 3 computers shouldn't bog a hub down very badly, unless you're really beating on it. If you use the switch though, the PC's are limited to 10Mbits between each other. Unless you have something else on the switch, I don't see a need for it.

You're right about the internet connection not needing 100Mbits.

Originally posted by soulax
Well, will the HUB "split" the single 100mbs port into 8?

The 8 ports on the hub will all have to share that 100Mbit uplink between the switch and the hub, so all 8 ports will not be able to transfer at full line speed across that uplink because it is only rated for 100Mbit total.

it may be a bit faster than the 10mb switched, but not by much.

why not have the two that generate the most traffic plugged int othe 100 ports on the switch, and the other into the 10? that'd give you the best overall performance by far.

now, you don't mention any machines other than these three - are there more computers on this switch, or not? if so, are they producing much traffic, and do they transfer large files to the 3 previously mentioned?

either way, your best bet would be a 10/100 switch. even supposing you have other clients connected to the cisco 1700, get an 8 port 10/100 switch for $40, and plug that into a 100mb port on the cisco. that'll give you a total of 100mb/s to, and 100mb/s from the cisco to the mini-switch, with 100mb/s both directions to each of the computers on the miniswitch.

Well I understand that the 8 port hub will share the 100mbs connection on the switch, but assuming only 1 PC on the HUB is active, then in essence, shouldn't it get a 100mbs connection?

I have my main windows PC, xbox, and webserver all on the HUB which is in the 100mbs port on the switch. I know that if the xbox is on IRC, the webserver has active connections, and my windows PC is downloading MP3's, that I wont get the full speed of the 100mbs port.

My Webserver is hardly ever accessed, the Xbox is NEVER online, and my Windows PC is the only node acctually using the connection on the switch 95% of the time.

I know the ideal situation would be to BUY a new 24 port 100BaseT switch, or even a 12 port, but id rather do something with the hardware I have. Im looking for fast transfers from my Windows PC to the Xbox and to the Webserver. I get that now with my HUB -> Switch setup. (Since any transfer from Windows PC to Xbox/Webserver takes place on the HUB @ 100mbs).

Well this way works, so ill keep it!

And to answer the point of the first question, for browsing the web, 10bt or 100bt will make no difference. Cable/DSL runs in the area of 1.5mbps, so both 10bt and 100bt have overhead over that. kNow for transfering files between machines, 100bt is handy, but otherwise not useful. Just like why upgrading from 802.11b to g is wothless for most people. So hook up the 3 machines you need to transfer files back and forth from on the 10/100 hub, and then plug that into the switch.

10mb/Half-Duplex is way faster then any internet connection you will have anytime soon.

Go out and buy a 24port 10/100 switch. Netgear, linysys, etc are cheap new in the store, or go eBay for some used Cisco gear.

Back