Add me to the list of those who have to get their 360 repaired!

meatycheesyboy

Limp Gawd
On October 27th, I bought a 360. Today, 2 months and 2 days later, I made a call to MS about a non-functional 360. Yippee!

So, does anyone know how long they usually take to repair a 360? Also, who pays shipping, me or them?

Given how close it was to when you bought it, why didn't you just take it back to the store?

Unfortunately, I can't find the receipt. I'm going to keep looking for it since that would be alot faster but if I can't find it, I'll send it in for repairs.

They pay shipping. The repair process will go something like this:
1) They ship a box inside a box to you.
2) You insert your 360 into the box (no accessories), fill out a simple form, and put the shipping label on the box.
3) Your 360 is shipped to somewhere in southern Texas.
4) Upon receiving your 360 a different, working 360 is sent back to you.
I've heard of some people having to wait a long time to finally get a working console back. I've also heard of repaired consoles being turned around quickly. The majority of the repair time will be eaten up by shipping. It will probably take 2-2.5 weeks.

dotK,

Thanks, awesome reply. Answered all my questions. I'm happy to hear that they'll pay shipping. And 2-3 weeks isn't so bad. Of course, I'd rather it not have to be done in the first place but so is life.

Now I just have one more worry if I do ship it back. A woman my wife works with sent hers back and got back a system that was visually in very poor shape. It worked but it was beat to shit. Since mine is only 2 months old, I hope I get one back that is near mint like the one I'm sending them.

I have mostly the same info, except you pay shipping and they don't send a box. And this was from their fall update catastrophe on 11/30/06 so this recent info.

dotK said:
They pay shipping. The repair process will go something like this:
1) They ship a box inside a box to you.
2) You insert your 360 into the box (no accessories), fill out a simple form, and put the shipping label on the box.
3) Your 360 is shipped to somewhere in southern Texas.
4) Upon receiving your 360 a different, working 360 is sent back to you.
I've heard of some people having to wait a long time to finally get a working console back. I've also heard of repaired consoles being turned around quickly. The majority of the repair time will be eaten up by shipping. It will probably take 2-2.5 weeks.

They do NOT pay shipping anymore. You have to box up your 360 and ship it yourself. Also, if you're LUCKY you get a working 360. Out of the 3 they've sent me, ONE so far has worked. *ALL* were returned with greasy fingerprints and/or scratches. Either way, you're gettin' a refurb (woohoo!).

doesn´t sound good. my broke in two weeks but I sent it back to the reseller. They wanted all accessories so I am guessing I am getting a new Xbox 360 as replacement. Would suck to get a 1 year old 360 when I just got it a few weeks ago...

Here in Sweden they say it takes almost a month to ship directly to MS and back. Asking MS support they recommended me to go via the reseller instead since it was within 30 days from purchase :).

Bad timing the holidays so it took some time to ship it there but they confirmed my RMA within 2 hours from getting it lol so hopefully I will have it soon :)

They do have a lot of work to do in sorting this stuff out. Apparently they're much improved, but obviously still not good enough.

From what I keep reading here, no one has a working xbox :rolleyes:

There are millions of us who are having no problems at all a year after we got it. I only know one person myself out of about 60 that have had a brick.
You only hear the horror stories around here, no one talks about how awesome the 360 is cause they are to busy playing it.

So dont think they are all junk. Electronics are like this. Go look in some other products forums and you would think everything made today is junk,

I know WAY more people who have had to return HDTVs with problems, and no one acts like they are a POS tech.

well it´s a bit early to talk about PS 3 quality ;)

Hopefully the new revision will help with the Xbox 360 holding up better.

I haven't even gotten my X360 yet and its already broke ...what a hunk a junk ..darn *@#%! Bill and his #*$%^@! consoles!! ....AAAaaAAAAAHHH!!

I'm kidding of course .. but I do have one on the way. It's the first thing I have gotten all giddy about in anticipation in a long while..

If the thing breaks on me ..I'll chime in and let everybody know :)

[F]old|[H]ard

DragonMasterAlex said:
Deleted by Lesman.
Well, I was in my local Walmart today and the only display systems working were the 360 and Nintendo DS. The PS3, PS2, PSP and Wii were all bricked...and I don't mean simply turned off. They don't make consoles like they used to..

joemama said:
Well, I was in my local Walmart today and the only display systems working were the 360 and Nintendo DS. The PS3, PS2, PSP and Wii were all bricked...and I don't mean simply turned off. They don't make consoles like they used to..

There is a reason why the space shuttle doesn't run cutting edge computing equipment. It takes a long time to make computer systems reliable. The cutting edge is always going to have problems. The Wii is less susceptible because it isn't cutting edge tech, just yesterdays tech with some creative face lifting going on. The PS3, well hardly anyone has them so we haven't heard very many horror stories. Although it looks like Sony did a pretty impressive job with the cooling, that is a huge heatsink they have in there.

exactly, the point here is that people shouldn't have to worry about having a busted 360 when they get one. a single console out of sixty that breaks is already one too many.

Well that sucks that they don't pay shipping anymore, but I guess it does speed up the repair process by a few days.

Check this crap. I just sent my launch 360 off for repair a month ago, got the new one back about 3 weeks ago. It was a replacement, not a repaired console.
My repaired 360 died on me last night. Now i have to get it replaced. Man thats annoying.
I probably played a total of 10 hrs on the new console since i got it back before it died.
Fortunately the warranty covers shipping, but the 2 week process to get it back is lame

I have my PS3 and Wii hooked up to the same area and they have been fine, so I think i just got the misfortune of having another bad egg.

Guys, calm down. No need for telling people to "shut the fuck up". If you're here to troll on the topic or any game system, then get out.

MaxKool said:
From what I keep reading here, no one has a working xbox :rolleyes:

There are millions of us who are having no problems at all a year after we got it. I only know one person myself out of about 60 that have had a brick.
You only hear the horror stories around here, no one talks about how awesome the 360 is cause they are to busy playing it.

So dont think they are all junk. Electronics are like this. Go look in some other products forums and you would think everything made today is junk,

I know WAY more people who have had to return HDTVs with problems, and no one acts like they are a POS tech.
i'll be the first to admit that the 360 is "awesome". it's easy to post a comment like the one you made when you haven't had to deal with a lemon 360 and sub-par customer service.

oh and about your 1 out of 60 remark.........when i walked into the UPS store in my hometown of 100,000 people the lady at the desk looked at her co-worker and said, "...look, another one." i asked her what she meant and she said that there had been a "ton" of 360's brought in to be shipped. i asked her what she meant by a ton and she said that 3 had been brought in the day before. counting mine that's 4 in two days. she even had the shipping info for MS's repair center memorized. if you view this as normal you obviously haven't been gaming on consoles very long. i've NEVER had a console die on me in the 20+ years i've gamed.

your comment was one of ignorance, and i hope your 360 dies on you.

erf said:
If you view this as normal you obviously haven't been gaming on consoles very long. i've NEVER had a console die on me in the 20+ years i've gamed.
Yet I know people who have had EVERY console fail on them. Even gamecubes. Face it, you were lucky until the 360. Yeah, you had a bad experience with customer services too, but again for every one person it goes down like that for you might have another 10 who thought the service was great.

Customer services are especially like that simply because you only need to deal with an asshole or two to completely screw up the whole thing.

Turn-around was quick for me. Took about 5 days. I sent it out on a Monday morning, and it was back Friday evening. I think this time of year it will be about 1.5 weeks, you can dream about playing it in that time.

Psychotext said:
Yet I know people who have had EVERY console fail on them. Even gamecubes. Face it, you were lucky until the 360. Yeah, you had a bad experience with customer services too, but again for every one person it goes down like that for you might have another 10 who thought the service was great.

Customer services are especially like that simply because you only need to deal with an asshole or two to completely screw up the whole thing.
that's fine that you "know people" who have had all consoles fail on them but did it happen MULTIPLE times? i can't believe people are trying to water down the problem with the 360.

it's funny because i didn't realize how bad the problem was until it happened to me. there are people having to send the replacement of their replacement of their replacement back. i've never heard of this happening with ANY console....not on the scale that is happening with the 360.

and my problems weren't so much with the actual CS as much as it was M$'s "policies" when it comes to replacing/repairing their hardware. why in the hell do you think they finally extended the warranty? for fun?

The only one I saw breaking again and again was the PS2. I couldn't speak on MS's replacement policies or their short warranty as I live in the UK and things are very different here with regards to consumer rights.

I would expect a lot of the problems with replacements having problems are less about Microsoft and more about shipping. When MS ships new consoles to stores they are on palletes and are a lot harder to damage. However when the ship the replacement back to people, it is on its own. Anyone who has seen how packages are treated by the big shipping companies knows that this would result in a lot more banging around then would happen to a new console being shipped on a pallet of 60 to BB.

Factor into that the fact that with a 3-5% failure rate you are looking at up to 300-500k bad units, by the failure rate alone you then have 9-25k people who will have to replace their replacement, thats not counting the likely higher rate of failure on those returned consoles due to shipping practices. Then you would have 100-1250 people who would have to replace the replacement of their replacement.

Overall it isn't surprising that there is a very vocal MINORITY of people who have had poor experiences. That is unfortunate, but simply a fact of life that some people will get the short end of the stick. I have had 3 Gamecubes in a row break on me, but I also know people who have Gamecubes that are like tanks. I dont go blaming Nintendo for it and shouting on the hills that they are an awful company. Instead I curse my poor luck and get on with life, I suggest you do the same.

Psychotext said:
The only one I saw breaking again and again was the PS2. I couldn't speak on MS's replacement policies or their short warranty as I live in the UK and things are very different here with regards to consumer rights.
well being that you haven't had to deal with MS's replacement/repair policies in the US i can understand your stance.

being that you said..."even a gamecube" i'll retort with this experience of Nintendo's CS.

i bought a DS a short time after launch. the lighting on the top screen was somewhat out of whack. what did Nintendo do? they sent me a brand new DS along with a box to ship my faulty piece of hardware back in. that's how customer service should be. just be thankful that your 360 hasn't gone to shit on you..........yet. :p

Erasmus354 said:
I would expect a lot of the problems with replacements having problems are less about Microsoft and more about shipping. When MS ships new consoles to stores they are on palletes and are a lot harder to damage. However when the ship the replacement back to people, it is on its own. Anyone who has seen how packages are treated by the big shipping companies knows that this would result in a lot more banging around then would happen to a new console being shipped on a pallet of 60 to BB.

Factor into that the fact that with a 3-5% failure rate you are looking at up to 300-500k bad units, by the failure rate along you have 3-5k people who will have to replace their replacement, thats not counting the likely higher rate of failure on those returned consoles due to shipping practices.

Overall it isn't surprising that there is a very vocal MINORITY of people who have had poor experiences. That is unfortunate, but simply a fact of life that some people will get the short end of the stick. I have had 3 Gamecubes in a row break on me, but I also know people who have Gamecubes that are like tanks. I dont go blaming Nintendo for it and shouting on the hills that they are an awful company. Instead I curse my poor luck and get on with life, I suggest you do the same.
i've gotten on with life. i'm playing gears of war right now. why don't you read my post on how NINTENDO HANDLED MY PROBLEM.

i expect faulty hardware it's a fact of life. i just don't like being treated like a shit sandwich when it comes to the above mentioned.

Amusingly I don't have one yet. I'm waiting for the price drop. I'm only commenting on the experiences of friends and family with them. :)

erf said:
i've gotten on with life. i'm playing gears of war right now. why don't you read my post on how NINTENDO HANDLED MY PROBLEM.

i expect faulty hardware it's a fact of life. i just don't like being treated like a shit sandwich when it comes to the above mentioned.

Well, from my personal experience, Nintendo treated me like a shit sandwich. They were difficult to contact, not very communicative, and overall it was a PITA. Microsoft on the other hand was very quick and courteous with replacing my 360.

It all depends upon who within the service department you deal with. Some people will come away with a poor experience and others will come away with a good experience. To this date Nintendo has never returned my request for a new GBA cartridge for one of their games that was corrupt.

Look, from what I'm seeing, nobody is saying the 360 isn't a great gaming console. They're just stating that they're breaking. The fact that they even own a console to fail on them indicates that they like the 360 enough to buy one.

Nobody is saying there aren't working 360s either. We believe you that your console hasn't had a problem. It's pretty damn silly for you to say that ours hasn't had a problem. Go outside and take a breath of reality and notice how presumptuous that is.

Honestly, if the policy was like Dell's it wouldn't be a problem.

You report a problem within warranty. Dell ships you a working product and you just put your broken one into that box and send it back using the shipping form they included and call a number for doorstep pickup. You just put the box outside. If the shipping form and number doesn't get used within a few weeks, you get billed because they sent you a new product and you didn't send the broken one back. Otherwise, it costs you nothing with a minimum of effort, and a working product is put right into your hands with no more waiting than the shipping period. Dell did express 2-day shipping, but I think they went the extra mile for that. I'd expect just standard shipping.

kelbear said:
Look, from what I'm seeing, nobody is saying the 360 isn't a great gaming console. They're just stating that they're breaking. The fact that they even own a console to fail on them indicates that they like the 360 enough to buy one.

Nobody is saying there aren't working 360s either. We believe you that your console hasn't had a problem. It's pretty damn silly for you to say that ours hasn't had a problem. Go outside and take a breath of reality and notice how presumptuous that is.

Honestly, if the policy was like Dell's it wouldn't be a problem.

You report a problem within warranty. Dell ships you a working product and you just put your broken one into that box and send it back using the shipping form they included and call a number for doorstep pickup. You just put the box outside. If the shipping form and number doesn't get used within a few weeks, you get billed because they sent you a new product and you didn't send the broken one back. Otherwise, it costs you nothing with a minimum of effort, and a working product is put right into your hands with no more waiting than the shipping period. Dell did express 2-day shipping, but I think they went the extra mile for that. I'd expect just standard shipping.
nice job. :D

Erasmus354 said:
Well, from my personal experience, Nintendo treated me like a shit sandwich. They were difficult to contact, not very communicative, and overall it was a PITA. Microsoft on the other hand was very quick and courteous with replacing my 360.

It all depends upon who within the service department you deal with. Some people will come away with a poor experience and others will come away with a good experience. To this date Nintendo has never returned my request for a new GBA cartridge for one of their games that was corrupt.
don't get me wrong, once i decided to go along with ms's policy it was a quick process. my console only lasted 3 days past the retailers warranty. thats a month and 3 days.

i shouldn't have had to pay for shipping and i spent the time haggling with ms's customer support and eventually they told me they'd send me a box if i faxed a proof of purchase. i did this then they changed the story to, our policy has changed we no longer pay for shipping. all together it took 4 weeks.

like i said though, once i shipped my box off it was quick....like 8 days i think.

I sent mine in on December 15, the replacement for my original, and MS says they'll have it sent to me... In mid January.

Lousy Backlog.

Back