Add another GTX780 3GB or GTX780 6GB or?

kreidel

Limp Gawd
I picked up a Dell U2713HM 1440p monitor and framerates on some games are dipping lower than I like (40). Prior to the Dell 27" I was using an LG 23" IPS LED 1080p with this system.

-Intel Core i7-4770K Haswell Quad-Core 3.5GHz
-EVGA GeForce GTX 780 Superclocked 3GB
-ASUS Z87-A LGA 1150 Motherboard
-Patriot Viper 3 8GB DDR3 1600 Desktop Memory
-Western Digital WD Blue 1TB HDD
-SAMSUNG 840 EVO SSD
-COUGAR ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

Should I:

* Buy another GTX780 3GB and SLI
* Sell the GTX780 3GB and purchase GTX780 6gb
* Buy a GTX780 6GB and SLI with exsisting 3GB (if even possible)
* Return Dell 27" and continue using LG 23"

Or something else. I play DayZ, Rome TW 2, Arma 3, CIV 5, CS:GO, iRacing

800 series should be coming out soon, i suggest waiting a month or so to see what happens before you make a decision. vram doesn't affect framerate unless you run out, which only happens with 3 GB in... one game. if you absolutely must make a choice right now i'd say the best would be to get another 780 (3 GB, you can only SLI cards that have a. the same gpu and b. the same amount of vram.)

e: oh yeah, even if the 800 series comes out next month, it's shaping up to be lackluster, so even if it does you may still be better off getting another 780.

Last edited:
Just wait until 800 drops. All the "fools" will sell off their 780's and ti's to have the new hotness. Then that will cause the market to be flooded with 780's/ti's lowering the value of said cards. I can already find 780's on Craigslist right now for 350-400 bucks. I've been kicking around the same idea cause I really want to move to 1440p where sli is better suited and I will just add another 780 when the time comes.

Trust me Ive always been one of those fools but not this time around.

At 1440p you're going to benefit more from extra horsepower than extra memory. Even if it was possible to SLI different memory sizes you would be limited to the smallest framebuffer in the chain, anyway.

I say go for another 780 right now. There is still nothing but speculation and rumour about "big" Maxwell right now, and the release window for it is likely not going to be for another year. I was contemplating the same thing, and I added another 780 to my setup to be ready for the release of the PG278Q later this month. In the mean time I am able to push more games to 144 Hz at 1080p on my current monitor and I don't regret the decision at all.

In all honesty, I am actually waiting for Pascal for my next upgrade. By that time I'll be upgrading my platform to Broadwell and possibly "upgrading" to Windows Threshold.

Definitely grab another EVGA GTX 780 SC http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CTY84KI. Armenius is correct, the extra VRAM will do little to nothing for you. You need the additional horsepower.

The 800 series would be worth taking a look at if you can wait a few more months. They aren't even close to releasing the 800 series and it's likely they won't be available to purchase until the end of the year.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Thanks for the replies.

I recently got back into gaming and desktops after being out for almost 6 years and just picked up this system off Craigslist pretty cheap. I was ahead of the game value wise so that is why I bought this nice monitor but expected a little better performance, but what do I know.

20 years later I am in the same boat, looking to make my system faster and I still haven't done it!

Back