ADATA Releases the Ultimate SU900 3D MLC NAND SSD

HardOCP News

[H] News
ADATA Technology, a leading manufacturer of high performance DRAM modules, NAND Flash products, and mobile accessories today launched the Ultimate SU900 2.5” SATA 6Gb/s SSD, which signals further expansion in 3D NAND Flash storage. The SU900 delivers high-grade 3D MLC NAND and uses the SMI 2258 controller. Most importantly, it offers up to 2TB capacity, reinforced by performance-boosting SLC Cache Buffer and DRAM Cache. For data integrity, the SU900 offers LDPC error correction, data shaping, wear leveling, and RAID Engine. It reaches 560MB/s read and 525MB/s write, and includes a 2.5mm spacer and 3.5” bracket in the box. ADATA provides a 5-year warranty with the drive.

Nothing special here. Move along people. SSD manufacturers are still clearly milking these for all they can since capacities are not adequately increasing while prices decrease even with the introduction of MLC. What matters most to me in SSD's is capacity at a price point on par with mechanical drives.

The 512GB version is $214 which means the 2TB version would be $700-800 and since HGST has 14TB helium drives on the way that are likely going to be priced similarly, I would rather put my money into those HGST drives. When SSD manufacturers stop being greedy duches and start releasing SSD's that match or beat mechanical drives in price and capacity, I'll start switching my array over to SSD's.

Why not get the best of both worlds? NVME for boot/software, tiered virtual disk with 480GB SATA SSD and eleventy TB rust technology? It has been working very well in my testing.

The ULTIMATE!!! /bow

I'd hold out for the Ultimate Final edition. Or, if the price is reasonable, the Ultimate Final Founders Limited edition. Don't bother with the Ultimate Final Founders Limited Collectors edition though, it just has a fancy booklet enclosed, that doesn't justify the price.

Nothing special here. Move along people. SSD manufacturers are still clearly milking these for all they can since capacities are not adequately increasing while prices decrease even with the introduction of MLC. What matters most to me in SSD's is capacity at a price point on par with mechanical drives.

The 512GB version is $214 which means the 2TB version would be $700-800 and since HGST has 14TB helium drives on the way that are likely going to be priced similarly, I would rather put my money into those HGST drives. When SSD manufacturers stop being greedy duches and start releasing SSD's that match or beat mechanical drives in price and capacity, I'll start switching my array over to SSD's.

I'd love to see "hybrid/SSHD" drives that actually have healthy SSD caches. Like 256/512GB. All writes go to the SSD first. And then the drive could default to traditional block level algorithms, but if it's on Windows or OSX or Linux, have a driver that tells the harddrive to smartly cache things. The Western Digital Black2 experiment that had 120GB embedded in the partition was a neat experiment. But it seems they hardly sold any of them. It's hard to even find any.

Back