Adaptors To Allow You To Use A Current GPU With A Three Year Old Power Supply?

SlapShot

Limp Gawd
I have an excellent power supply that is only a bit over three years old (with a lifetime warranty) that I paid quite a bit for. I would really like to re-use it. I'm told there is an adaptor so that I can connect the newer two connector AMD GPU cables, or connect a current nVidia card to my existing power supply? How do I identify what adaptor is needed in each oof those cases? Your assistance appreciated. Thanks.

Quote Reply
Report Edit Delete

I have an excellent power supply that is only a bit over three years old (with a lifetime warranty) that I paid quite a bit for. I would really like to re-use it. I'm told there is an adaptor so that I can connect the newer two connector AMD GPU cables, or connect a current nVidia card to my existing power supply? How do I identify what adaptor is needed in each oof those cases? Your assistance appreciated. Thanks.

Quote Reply
Report Edit Delete
Clarify please (by a lot!)
If it is an "excellent PS" then why can't you use it? If you can't use it then it is NOT excellent.

Power supply is a Seasonic Prime Gold. It was top rated back at the end of 2019 by several reviewers. But GPU's didn't have the same power requirements then, as newer ones do now.

your 3yr old psu already has the cables you need and an nvidia card will come with the needed adapter.

your 3yr old psu already has the cables you need and an nvidia card will come with the needed adapter.
Thanks, but I'm almost certainly now, but based on extensive research, I'm about to buy a and AMD card. Same situation? Will they provide the adaptors?

Thanks, but I'm almost certainly now, but based on extensive research, I'm about to buy a and AMD card. Same situation? Will they provide the adaptors?
dont need em, just need the included pcie power cables that the psu would come with.

I'm sorry but this is just a very strange topic to start. I mean if you can locate this forum and post a topic I would think you would have the ability to look at card reviews at some point to know that every modern card comes with an adapter if it needs one.

I'm sorry but this is just a very strange topic to start. I mean if you can locate this forum and post a topic I would think you would have the ability to look at card reviews at some point to know that every modern card comes with an adapter if it needs one.
Four veteran computer builders that I spoke with thought that I needed a new power supply, or at the very least, had to purchase a special adaptor for current new GPU's. That brought me here. Thanks for the information everyone has provided.

Four veteran computer builders that I spoke with thought that I needed a new power supply, or at the very least, had to purchase a special adaptor for current new GPU's. That brought me here. Thanks for the information everyone has provided.
Then perhaps you don't need to be talking to those people anymore as they seem to be as much of out of the loop as you are. Personally I just think you probably misunderstood or misinterpreted what they were saying as they were probably referring to the standalone cables you can buy for the Nvidia cards. Again though how does someone that's interested in buying a new card not bother to even look at one single review? You have the whole internet in front of you and in mere seconds you can look at reviews to know that a card comes with an adapter if it needs one. The fact that you're even asking if AMD needs an adapter shows you haven't done a single bit of research and have no idea what is going on.

AMD cards just use standard 8-pin PCIe, no adapters should be needed.

It's only Nvidia 30-series founder edition cards that use the 12-pin or the 40-series cards (any) that use the 16-pin 12VHPWR.

Then perhaps you don't need to be talking to those people anymore as they seem to be as much of out of the loop as you are. Personally I just think you probably misunderstood or misinterpreted what they were saying as they were probably referring to the standalone cables you can buy for the Nvidia cards. Again though how does someone that's interested in buying a new card not bother to even look at one single review? You have the whole internet in front of you and in mere seconds you can look at reviews to know that a card comes with an adapter if it needs one. The fact that you're even asking if AMD needs an adapter shows you haven't done a single bit of research and have no idea what is going on.
we've all posted shit people wtf at, you included, simmer down eh...

we've all posted shit people wtf at, you included, simmer down eh...
I'm not mad just perplexed how somebody that is interested in buying a GPU has not actually looked at any of the GPU reviews.

Actually. I have a tangential question. I have a 3 + year power supply. A seasonic focus gold 850 watt ps. With an asus TUF OC 4090. Stock i had 2 cables that plugged into the PciE port on the power supply end and then a 1->2 adapter that I then plugged into the 4 plug to 16pin adapter.
I had asus send me another cable which was essentially a “Y” cable with 2 plugs in one end into the pcie slots on the power supply and ONE 16pin connector on the other end that goes into the video card. Which one of these methods are better? The one that came in the box seems better made, but I can’t close my case with it and it has 4 additional plug connections I have to make. The replacement cable is more streamlined and I can close my case, it the 16 pin connector seems more exposed and less well made. Let me know what you guys think.

Attachments

• 53F55E46-6D4F-472A-8F17-6579A895AF66.jpeg
    53F55E46-6D4F-472A-8F17-6579A895AF66.jpeg
    341.5 KB · Views: 1
  • E62D111F-7E3D-44A9-B171-2A2ED62883AB.jpeg
    E62D111F-7E3D-44A9-B171-2A2ED62883AB.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 1
Actually. I have a tangential question. I have a 3 + year power supply. A seasonic focus gold 850 watt ps. With an asus TUF OC 4090. Stock i had 2 cables that plugged into the PciE port on the power supply end and then a 1->2 adapter that I then plugged into the 4 plug to 16pin adapter.
I had asus send me another cable which was essentially a “Y” cable with 2 plugs in one end into the pcie slots on the power supply and ONE 16pin connector on the other end that goes into the video card. Which one of these methods are better? The one that came in the box seems better made, but I can’t close my case with it and it has 4 additional plug connections I have to make. The replacement cable is more streamlined and I can close my case, it the 16 pin connector seems more exposed and less well made. Let me know what you guys think.
For further peace of mind, I played cp2077 for 30 min and then took my thermal cam and aimed it at the connector (when case was open. Gun can’t measure through glass) and got a max temp of 101F under load.

Attachments

• A97E171F-71C6-4350-82B9-4078B02D7FCA.jpeg
    A97E171F-71C6-4350-82B9-4078B02D7FCA.jpeg
    167.4 KB · Views: 0
Thats 38C in English ;)
Yea. Which doesn’t seem to bad IMO. But I don’t know what the temp of other “connectors “ should be. But assuming that a “melting” / soon to be melting connector should be much higher.
I also have been in this config for the past couple of days. With a few 3+ hour gaming sessions without any issues so far.

Maybe this whole connector thing is overblown?

Yea. Which doesn’t seem to bad IMO. But I don’t know what the temp of other “connectors “ should be. But assuming that a “melting” / soon to be melting connector should be much higher.
I also have been in this config for the past couple of days. With a few 3+ hour gaming sessions without any issues so far.

Maybe this whole connector thing is overblown?

It was demonstrated that badly fitted connectors or those that become badly fitted once the case side is fitted (by compressing the wires inward) are the problem.
If they are well fitted and nothing can disturb that, there should be no problem.
Oh yes, there have been some poor 3rd party cables as well. As long as you buy quality it should be ok.

fwiw, it appears the lengths of the metal pins and sockets that make the connection have been found to be a bit too short which is why when badly fitted they easily get hot.
I expect the next revision will have longer contacts.

Just a heads up newer video cards can scare and confuse some older PSUs.

Just a heads up newer video cards can scare and confuse some older PSUs.
I will very soon find if my PSU has this problem.
My 3090 is currently running from an 11yr old Seasonic based 750W PSU, still works admirably with no marked voltage droop.
But I have a newer Seasonic Prime Titanium I intend to use with it that has seen user complaints when used with high power 30xx cards because it might not respond fast enough with transients and either crash the gfx card or cause a shut down.
I contacted Seasonic about this to seek their opinion and they said it shouldnt happen, but if it does to let them know and they will sort it out.

Reactions: Axman
like this
It was demonstrated that badly fitted connectors or those that become badly fitted once the case side is fitted (by compressing the wires inward) are the problem.
If they are well fitted and nothing can disturb that, there should be no problem.
Oh yes, there have been some poor 3rd party cables as well. As long as you buy quality it should be ok.

fwiw, it appears the lengths of the metal pins and sockets that make the connection have been found to be a bit too short which is why when badly fitted they easily get hot.
I expect the next revision will have longer contacts.
Yes. I figured that a poor connection was likely the issue. That said that’s more of a user competence issue rather than equipment issue.
However in my case I just wanted to see which would be better. The 1->4->2 connector or the 1->2 connector. I’m leaning on the latter.
However it seems like asus sent me an aftermarket connector. That’s my only hesitation of going back to the original adapter. I emailed asus to see if the cable they sent me would void any warranty if something were to happen to connector.
The combo focus psu + asus 4090 + i9 18500k has been rock solid so far. I’m happy with it.

Yes. I figured that a poor connection was likely the issue. That said that’s more of a user competence issue rather than equipment issue.

If there isnt enough height to mount the cables on top of the card without the case side compressing them, the problem can occur without you realising.
Even veteran builders with large cases fell foul because the cards are massive, much taller than previous cards, it was an unexpected issue.
Talking retrospectively makes it sound simple to notice but this was a newer shorter connector as well, not as sturdy.
In some cases competence figured but it also caught out the competent as well which is why such a storm kicked up.

If there isnt enough height to mount the cables on top of the card without the case side compressing them, the problem can occur without you realising.
Even veteran builders with large cases fell foul because the cards are massive, much taller than previous cards, it was an unexpected issue.
Talking retrospectively makes it sound simple to notice but this was a newer shorter connector as well, not as sturdy.
In some cases competence figured but it also caught out the competent as well which is why such a storm kicked up.
to further qualify- I meant poor connection which includes overstressing the connector at the connection point. That would have been my case if I tried to close the side panel with the original adapter (picture attached). Or it would have snapped the connector on the gpu itself. That said, pragmatically speaking, something like this should be a red flag for a builder anyway.

Attachments

• 08239326-6EBC-444A-BE8A-46C09FF8F69F.jpeg
    08239326-6EBC-444A-BE8A-46C09FF8F69F.jpeg
    165.4 KB · Views: 0
Get one of these
https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256...cAG3GFP&gatewayAdapt=glo2usa&_randl_shipto=US
Angled adapter, there are 2 directions to pick from. Just pay attention to where your sense pins are.

Back