Adaptec 6405 and 2 x 128gb OCZ Vertex 3 Max IOPs R0

magnetik

Staff member
Haven't seen too many benchmarks with this combo.. just got through with the first atto run.. I think maybe some caching going on cause it seems high to me. I plan on adding a couple more when the prices come closer to msrp. I can run another bench if anyone's interested. Raid is set to default 256k stripe.

atto01.jpg

Last edited:
as ssd seemed to get different results each time I ran it.. hit 900's seq and 22's in 4k a couple times?

asssd01.jpg

crystal01.jpg

Last edited:
as ssd seemed to get different results each time I ran it.. hit 900's seq and 22's in 4k a couple times?

asssd01.jpg

crystal01.jpg

Hello friend.

I'm thinking to upgrade my controller but, I don't know, I was expect to see more performance...
I'm using 3ware 9690 and is slower than your adaptec.
Do you have Zero Maintenance Capacitor installed on it? I think this is a major rule for the card.
Please, post your winsat disk benchmark

Regards and thanks

Hello friend.

I'm thinking to upgrade my controller but, I don't know, I was expect to see more performance...
I'm using 3ware 9690 and is slower than your adaptec.
Do you have Zero Maintenance Capacitor installed on it? I think this is a major rule for the card.
Please, post your winsat disk benchmark

Regards and thanks

No cache card installed. I thought the cache was only for holding info until it could purge data during an outage?. If it's for performance I need to go ahead and order one.

I don't think I would trust the numbers I posted 100%. I need to redo it with a clean wipe since the benchmark #'s weren't very consistent.

No cache card installed. I thought the cache was only for holding info until it could purge data during an outage?. If it's for performance I need to go ahead and order one.

I don't think I would trust the numbers I posted 100%. I need to redo it with a clean wipe since the benchmark #'s weren't very consistent.

This Adaptec specifically (6000 series) and older Adaptec 5000Z series (only Z wich supports ZMCP like a 6000 series), both have 512mb but, the 4gb SLC NAND it's not cache, it's just a "space" wich ensure that data is stored from 512mb cache to 4gb SLC in case of power failure. Although, it could be very helpfull on random read/write works, since the controllers read and safe to the cache and pick up quicly from the cache to write on SSD or HDD. It's a major rule if Read Ahead cache and of course Write Back cache is enabled.
I'm curious to see your results because Adaptec with ZMCP is very promising.
Do you have the last firmware?
Regards from Ricardo, from Portugal

Forgot to tell one thing.

Your results are right. It seems high because of cache.
Since controller has 512mb cache, up to 512mb of data,they are red and wrote very quickly (more than 1gb/s surely).
You can test it using Crystal disk mark with size test up to 512mb. Certainly you will see 2gb/s sequencial. Put 50 ou 100mb and see :). Same thing on ATTO.

interesting.. I will def rerun when I get back home. thanks!

I'm also on the latest firmware... they haven't posted any updates from the default one yet however the last time I checked.

I'm also on the latest firmware... they haven't posted any updates from the default one yet however the last time I checked.

Ok :) Test it and post bench please.

I'm a fan of Areca 1880ix-12 with 4gb RAM (yes, with one DIMM DDR2 800 4gb). This thing flyes, but when I saw the ZMCP of Adaptec and dual core processor, well sound interesting because I have a BBU attached on my 3ware and is little boring with a constant scan of temperature, charge and discharge cycle, waiting many hours to charge to protect data only 72 hours,etc. So, this Adaptec method simplifies all of this with a don't worry approach, a capacitor charges during a boot windows (instead of hours), and protect data for years, about 10 years.

Hello magnetik,
So do you have some news?

QxQFu.png

Not a 6405, but this is a 6805 with 4 120GB Vertex 3's. Not sure if i'm keeping the array though and didn't spend much time fiddling with it.

QxQFu.png

Not a 6405, but this is a 6805 with 4 120GB Vertex 3's. Not sure if i'm keeping the array though and didn't spend much time fiddling with it.

Hello Roliath

Nice to see your results. Do you have ZMCP?
Read ahead and write back cache enabled?

Regards:)

write back was disabled during that test.
I have yet to fully toy around with this array as it was for resale purposes.

write back was disabled during that test.
I have yet to fully toy around with this array as it was for resale purposes.

Without write back cache? This results is amazing!! The default settings is the best.
Ok, try with read ahead (can be slower on bech but it's faster on real life windows)
I think your controller is one of the best on market...

Nice to see a site with some raid controller stuff... :)
I'm running a X58 rig with a 990X cpu @ 4.6GHz, KFA2 580GTX, 24Gb Ram, Adaptec 6805 with 4x Kingston HyperX 240Gb SSD drives in Raid5... just so that I know that I can run BF3... :)

Anyways, I dont know why, but testing with AS SSD made me wonder what was going on... I get a 600 score with the 6805 setup and 1250 with only 2 Kingstons on the ICH10R chip... the LSI Megaraid gets a 3000 score...

However in ATTO and if runnig with 32MB file size I get the following... with QD 2/4/10:
ATTO_Raid5_32MB_QD2_4x240Gb_KingstonSSD.jpg

ATTO_Raid5_QD4_4x240Gb_KingstonSSD.jpg

ATTO_Raid5_32MB_QD10_4x240Gb_KingstonSSD.jpg

And in RL tests Photoshop x64 opens up and is ready in 3 seconds (1st run after boot), Autocad 2012 is up in 4 seconds, Excel 2010 <1 sec... so the controller cant be too bad...
Copy 49GB of random data (my Programs x86 folder) takes 8 minutes.

Last edited:
Hard forum will not let link be displayed correctly.

Search google for LSI 9265-8i MegaRAID Card vs Adaptec 6805 RAID Card

Last edited:
Hard forum will not let link be displayed correctly.

Search google for LSI 9265-8i MegaRAID Card vs Adaptec 6805 RAID Card

this review was so funny. I can't believe how hard the adaptec card lost in those benchmarks

Lol... after reading the LSI 9265 vs Adaptec 6805 head to head review... I'm so going to replace my Adaptec with the LSI controller and never look back again...
Read this: http://.com/featured/lsi-9265-8i-me...805-raid-card-the-great-6gbs-raid-showdown/7/

My 6805 turns out to be a lump of crap in comparison with the LSI 9265...

No. Your adaptec 6805 and my 6405 are not crap. Simply LSI 9265 is in another segment of market (the price reflects it). Adaptec 6000 with ZMCP is very good. If you want more performance, Areca 1882i /ix outperforms LSI 9265.
You have to see that Adaptec 6000 simply uses the early firmware,so its not mature yet. Also, I know it wouldn't touch LSI 9265.

Hello all,

Bit of a resurrection here I know,

just got my second 120gb vertex 3 maxiops, and I'm running RAID-0 now.
I did however clone my existing install to the raid partition. Used snapshot and alignment carried over correctly. Seems I'm getting some weak write speeds however, the rig is in my sig.. anyone have any ideas?

Write back cache is enabled in RST.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Back