AD: Troubleshooting long computer login times ( not user! )

XOR != OR

[H]F Junkie
Normally, when an xp machine boots up in an AD domain, it bypasses starting up the network and jumps straight to the login screen. However, in my situation these workstations are actually logging in to the domain and applying their GPOs before dropping the user to the login screen. This is non-optimal behavior.

I have run RSOP on the local workstation, and the "Always wait for the network at computer startup and logon" option is disabled. I know there are other instances when a system may bring up the network before hand ( such as when an application is scheduled to be installed ), and I suspect that's what's going on here. But I don't know what a GPO might do to force a workstation to login on startup.

Any pointers?

From the help/description of that policy setting:

"If a user with a roaming profile, home directory, or user object logon script logs on to a computer, Windows XP always waits for the network to be initialized before logging the user on."

Do any of those conditions apply? That would explain why computer settings processing is bypassed but user settings on logon are always processed.

reread the title - not user. So it's the computer setting that's failing? I was confused by calling that 'logging into the domain'. What does the event log say? If you have a failed application install deployed to the computer it will constantly retry the installation (I believe). I actually prefer to force 'wait for network on startup'. This way I know GP changes are applied at next reboot (typically patch tuesday) and not months down the line. I can understand the issue if this process is taking a while, but I usually only see that on changes/failed software installs.

Last edited:
What screen does it get hung on?

I had a similar problem for like a week (Hangs on either the network connections or applying computer settings). It eventually went away. To this day I have no idea what it was.

Typically, on the "Running Startup Scripts" screen. Although I've checked, and while I do have about 10 scripts running, they are all quick "if exist FILE goto end" jobs; they only do the work once.

I'm going to let it play out and see what happens in a couple days. It does take a while for these workstations to get to the login screen; I'd say about 2 minutes.

Typically, on the "Running Startup Scripts" screen. Although I've checked, and while I do have about 10 scripts running, they are all quick "if exist FILE goto end" jobs; they only do the work once.

I'm going to let it play out and see what happens in a couple days. It does take a while for these workstations to get to the login screen; I'd say about 2 minutes.

I wouldn't worry about it then... Mine just WOULD NOT get past the startup screens and nobody I asked even had an idea.

My machines run 24/7. Very little rebooting, just log offs. Windows Updates are the only thing that reboots and that happens in the middle of the night when nobody is here.

Back